Article: Calorie Tapering And Fat Loss

1. Registered User

Article: Calorie Tapering And Fat Loss

2. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Energy is stored in real time & burned in real time. Makes sense but it does throw the old 24 hour "clock" out of the window.

What about people who wake up @ 8 and work all day but may lift late at night around 9pm?
    Still center most calories after work out right before bed?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

oh boy, the great debate continues lol. AaronJP1 got a point bout the calories at night when people train at those times. post workout anabolic hormones are raised and the body would less likely store energy as fat in that time frame after intense training. this is still debated and hopefully we can get some experiments in. I eat carbs at night about 2 hours after my postworkout meal and i aint fat lol
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

I think the idea of preventing your body from storing fat is not the same as fat loss. In fact, instead of fat loss, let's call it *net* fat loss, because I'm pretty sure a body both stores and burns fat all the time. Sure if you want to get down to 4% or 5% body fat then you might want to micromanage your body's fat storage, but otherwise I think it's more important to go with what you can manage. For instance, I perform better on an empty stomach, so I don't eat much during the day. Conversely, if I go to bed hungry it drives me nuts and I don't sleep well, so I eat more in the evening, including carbs. And yes your body does have a 24 hour clock, it's called the circadian cycle and it's why we sleep for the same 8 hour period every 24. All in all I'm not terribly impressed with this article. It reads like exactly same cookie-cutter theory-based advice I took years to unlearn.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

It reads like exactly same cookie-cutter theory-based advice I took years to unlearn.[/QUOTE]

lol true that! There is so much information about the human body we have not even begun to scratch the surface. Honestly I think it really comes down to individual perspective and thats why I choose to be a Bodybuilder because it gives me the best possible route to understanding more about what I want to learn which is the Human body. There are def. other ways but Bodybuilding get you muscles ;D lol. I just wish that the information thats placed out there had a little bit more relation to other concepts and ideas but then we would be reading one article for quite some time.
  6. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    I think the idea of preventing your body from storing fat is not the same as fat loss. In fact, instead of fat loss, let's call it *net* fat loss, because I'm pretty sure a body both stores and burns fat all the time. Sure if you want to get down to 4% or 5% body fat then you might want to micromanage your body's fat storage, but otherwise I think it's more important to go with what you can manage. For instance, I perform better on an empty stomach, so I don't eat much during the day. Conversely, if I go to bed hungry it drives me nuts and I don't sleep well, so I eat more in the evening, including carbs. And yes your body does have a 24 hour clock, it's called the circadian cycle and it's why we sleep for the same 8 hour period every 24. All in all I'm not terribly impressed with this article. It reads like exactly same cookie-cutter theory-based advice I took years to unlearn.
    So you believe in the 24 hour clock with not eating much at night? Or cals in vs cals out. Seems cals in vs cals out since you eat mostly at night.
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

YO Aaron! you still chekin my log? :D ima post some veinyass pics soon lol.....anyway, this is interesting because then theres the factor of food itself. Sucks how all of these things play a role but it really is about making a choice. I prefer to incorporate both concepts and other concepts as well. Changes pretty often though, since the body keeps you guessing lol.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    So you believe in the 24 hour clock with not eating much at night? Or cals in vs cals out. Seems cals in vs cals out since you eat mostly at night.
    I think our bodies store fat basically on a priority system, so that there'll be short term & long term fat storage. I think that because it's the only thing that makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's very unlikely we've evolved to eat 6 times a day, IMO. It's difficult to manage a schedule like that in modern times with all the excess food we have due to industrial food production. In ancient times it would have been impossible. It's more likely we evolved to eat basically whenever we could, and probably too much so we could store up some fat for when food was scarce. Which is probably why everyone is fat now, when there's a lot of food available.

I think there must also be a short term fat storage mechanism at work, because I've seen it in myself. Some fat goes away quickly, other fat takes more effort to get rid of. Also a lot of people seem to have success with intermittent fasting, particularly in regards to staying lean. I think what's happening there is the short term stores of fat are being continuously burned up, on a day to day basis, in real time you might say.

So yes I think there's a 24 hour clock, but I don't think it has that big of an impact on fat storage, except that you don't eat while you're asleep and it's not possible to store fat if you don't eat.

Cals in cals out is a simple fact of physics. You can't get more energy out of any system than you put in, and that applies to people. There's going to be inefficiency and some of that may be due to meal timing, but basically that's it.

I think nutrient timing might be important for optimal muscle growth, but in terms of fat loss I think the only important variable is how much you eat.
  9. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

I think our bodies store fat basically on a priority system, so that there'll be short term & long term fat storage. I think that because it's the only thing that makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's very unlikely we've evolved to eat 6 times a day, IMO. It's difficult to manage a schedule like that in modern times with all the excess food we have due to industrial food production. In ancient times it would have been impossible. It's more likely we evolved to eat basically whenever we could, and probably too much so we could store up some fat for when food was scarce. Which is probably why everyone is fat now, when there's a lot of food available.

I think there must also be a short term fat storage mechanism at work, because I've seen it in myself. Some fat goes away quickly, other fat takes more effort to get rid of. Also a lot of people seem to have success with intermittent fasting, particularly in regards to staying lean. I think what's happening there is the short term stores of fat are being continuously burned up, on a day to day basis, in real time you might say.

So yes I think there's a 24 hour clock, but I don't think it has that big of an impact on fat storage, except that you don't eat while you're asleep and it's not possible to store fat if you don't eat.

Cals in cals out is a simple fact of physics. You can't get more energy out of any system than you put in, and that applies to people. There's going to be inefficiency and some of that may be due to meal timing, but basically that's it.

I think nutrient timing might be important for optimal muscle growth, but in terms of fat loss I think the only important variable is how much you eat.
    I can dig it.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

some really great points you got there! :D i can agree with majority of what you say but even still theres just so much more to it than that, nonetheless its what you take out of the article itself and it seems you just solidified your own principles by speaking your from your perspective...props bro ;)
  11. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Take a look @ this, the nutrition part specifically.

http://www.**********************/art...ng-muscle.html
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Take a look @ this, the nutrition part specifically.

http://www.**********************/art...ng-muscle.html
    The author says in the section on nutrition

"Restricting calories does not work"

Then in the section called Meals he says

"When trying to lose body fat we have to eat less then our body requires in the day"

What? Isn't that calorie restriction? Doesn't make sense. At the end of the day though, the second statement is right. If you want to lose fat you have to burn more energy than what you consume.

There are some good points in that article, I think it's well intentioned and written by someone with a good deal of experience, but I don't think it's 100% correct.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Originally Posted by supersliced View Post
    some really great points you got there! :D i can agree with majority of what you say but even still theres just so much more to it than that, nonetheless its what you take out of the article itself and it seems you just solidified your own principles by speaking your from your perspective...props bro ;)
    Thanks man. I agree there's more to it, thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant a little though.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Leangains article on alcohol and fat loss.
    By jumpshot903 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
  2. Interesting T2 (dicana?) and fat loss article
    By jvangard in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 09:28 PM
  3. Vitamin C and Fat Loss
    By BOHICA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 12:41 AM
  4. Zoloft and Fat Loss