1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Chains For Gains

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Answers

No love for the Smith?

Shoot, the Smith machine has helped me be able to bench again with my shoulder...

- Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Answers

Not to mention be able to lift progressive and consistent every single workout. Never depending on a spotter showing up or if the spotter even knows proper spotting technique.

I dig the Smith, I am able to lift more weight or get extra reps every single workout, consistently.

It has its place, Chuck.

- Valdez
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  197 lbs.
    Answers

The Smith just isn't a natural movement. You are kidding yourself with that straight plane machine. Get rid of it and fnd a spotter. You will be better off in the long run! I also have a crap right shoulder but I will not sacrifice proven movements and lifts for something that is "convenient" or "easy". No you are not lifting more weight either.

Regards
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Answers

I wasn't talking about it being heavier, I was taking about progressing. Every workout I go up in weight or add a couple of reps.

I also rotate in DB presses at different angles. Different body mechanics - free bench annihilates my shoulder to no end. DB and Smith and its smooth sailing.

Utilizing a Smith vs having to depend on an unreliable partner and the Smith wins. I'm a firefighter most don't work the schedule I do and those that I work with don't train the way I do.

Lastly, I would also say that using the Smith machine is less convenient due to the fact that you have to find a free bench, move it into place etc... Has nothing to do with convenience.

- Valdez
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Idk about you guys but doing deep dips trashes my anterior joint capsule of my delt, every time
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by Boatcop1 View Post
    The Smith just isn't a natural movement. You are kidding yourself with that straight plane machine. Get rid of it and fnd a spotter. You will be better off in the long run! I also have a crap right shoulder but I will not sacrifice proven movements and lifts for something that is "convenient" or "easy". No you are not lifting more weight either.

Regards
    Sorry man but I'm going to have to completely disagree.

He said that e Smythe has let him bench press again after a shoulder injury and you basically tell him to suck it up and go with proven lifts? IMO that is absolutely horrible advice.
    I think everyone's goal in life should be to be ABLE to hit the gym for as long as they live. Injuries are something that everyone, including yourself, are going to have to deal with. If you have to change your routine in order to prolong your lifting career, DO IT.

As of right now I can't even bench with Smythe machines. The only machines that I still feel comfortable with for chest and shoulders are Hammer Strength. And I was in the same boat as you, would NOT let the ego go and take bench and military out of my routine because "they are proven bang-4-your-buck exercises."
    After 3 reconstructive shoulder surgeries and I said **** it and took it out.

Some guys can't do dips, if pushdowns are the only exercise that doesn't hurt then you do those...and I guarantee Charles P and any other proven trainer would agree with him here.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Idk about you guys but doing deep dips trashes my anterior joint capsule of my delt, every time
    Oddly enough dips are one of my favorite and strongest lifts for my size... Last time I worked them in was hanging 85's + bw for around 10 - 15. I'm excited to work them in again.

- Valdez
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Valdez View Post

Oddly enough dips are one of my favorite and strongest lifts for my size... Last time I worked them in was hanging 85's + bw for around 10 - 15. I'm excited to work them in again.

- Valdez
    YeahI used to do stupid **** like that too, hanging 100lbs fir reps, then I strained my chest
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  197 lbs.
    Answers

I don't usually go as low as the article describes either. I've always been under the mindset to only go to where your upper arm is parrallel to the deck. I usually hang two plates when i do them but nex time I may go BW and maybe a little deeper just to see how it feels. The nice stretch maybe an added plus.

Originally Posted by theotherone55 View Post
    Sorry man but I'm going to have to completely disagree.

He said that e Smythe has let him bench press again after a shoulder injury and you basically tell him to suck it up and go with proven lifts? IMO that is absolutely horrible advice. Please cite where I said this.
    I think everyone's goal in life should be to be ABLE to hit the gym for as long as they live. Injuries are something that everyone, including yourself, are going to have to deal with. If you have to change your routine in order to prolong your lifting career, DO IT.
    As of right now I can't even bench with Smythe machines. The only machines that I still feel comfortable with for chest and shoulders are Hammer Strength. And I was in the same boat as you, would NOT let the ego go and take bench and military out of my routine because "they are proven bang-4-your-buck exercises."
    After 3 reconstructive shoulder surgeries and I said **** it and took it out.

Some guys can't do dips, if pushdowns are the only exercise that doesn't hurt then you do those...and I guarantee Charles P and any other proven trainer would agree with him here.
    Bro you are correct just like I did with my shoulder injury. My days of Bench pressing 425lbs are over. Your argument has holes in it though. If you can bench press on a smith you can bench press traditionaly is all I'm saying. If anything due to the design of the smith it's probably more damaging than beneficial due to the lack of stabilizer muscle recruitment.

This has nothing to do with "ego"! C'mon man. Again the bench press is a full body staple that should not be substituted if one can still "bench". Ego? Bro I used to bench double my body weight and now I use 225 MAX! I have no problem with that.

I like pushdowns as a closer but not as a staple. Decline close grips, skull crushers and dips are your big dogs.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Bench like a powerlifter, get a big arch and tuck your elbows. Your shoulders will thank you, as will yourself because the amount you can press will increase substantially. Only way to press imo
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  197 lbs.
    Answers

Bench like a powerlifter, get a big arch and tuck your elbows. Your shoulders will thank you, as will yourself because the amount you can press will increase substantially. Only way to press imo
    Absolutley. Roll and tuck your shoulder blades on the bench and like you said keep the elbows tucked. That's a propper bench. The reason most people hurt themselves is because their form is horrible!
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I think the way the dip stand is made makes a big difference in comfort with dips. I've played with about 6 different dip stations, all different, and I've noticed absolutely no pain with 4 of them, and pain with 2 of them. I unfortunately can't remember what 3 of the ones looked like, but I know that of the last 3 I used, 2 had a very, very slight angle to the bars, and these caused no pain. The dip stand at my current gym has the handles coming out strictly straight (parallel to each other), and I have a lot of pain in my shoulders using those, so I don't do dips anymore.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. advice for gaining strength and cutting
    By messina61 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 05:27 PM
  2. Couldn't Get PCT On Plane--5 Day Break Crippling For Gains?
    By envirocopy511 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
  4. rep range for gaining MASS
    By NevrEnuf in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 08:33 AM
  5. T-Mag's Training For Gaining
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2