Article: Manipulating Caffeine For Gains

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Manipulating Caffeine For Gains

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  999 lbs.
    Answers

Man I love caffeine. I didn't look at it this way before this article though, can more people confirm this decrease in insulin sensitivity causing better skeletal muscle build?
    (Some articles just happen to be bull so..)
    Thanks.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  158 lbs.
    Answers

I can definitely confirm this. see, normally, it's not ideal but if paired with heavy training, it acts to partition nutrients to the now-sensitive muscle cells, while the fat cells are desensitized to insulin, so they won't fill or grow as much. If there's one person who knows optimal training nutrition , it's keifer. had (and still do) a lot of success using these strategies.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  176 lbs.
    Answers

Isn't caffeine a diuretic? It is, so why Kiefer is using caffeine in conjunction with creatine, especially post-wo? Am I having wrong data about proper post-wo nutrition or is this something too meticulous to concern with?
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Answers

That is way too much caffeine.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Answers

If I took that much caffeine I'd never sleep no matter how rough my training program was.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I am not shooting anything down in this article but I am mixed in whether I agree with the author's saying "For optimum carbohydrate utilization without storing fat, we need to eat carbs at night". I have read too many sources that have stated that this is a taboo practice. The only source I can provide on hand at the moment is from the magazine *** hands out all the time that had Greg Plitt featured on the cover. He laid out the nutritional and dietary practices of his program. The article made it clear this was one of the most detrimental practices to preventing unwanted lipid cell assimilation.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Answers

*** = G N C stores
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Answers

The only other thing that set off a flag is the notion that AM workouts are least biologically supported by humans. I forced myself to train in the morning for a long period of time and it was a miserable endevour at first but after a few weeks I cannot recall periods of time where working out has been so productive as right in the morning. The military is a firm believer of this too I believe. The ROTC students were never seen except for in the wee hours of the morn from what I observed. They had their **** together.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

What about the notion that caffeine post workout is bad because of the supposed increase in cortisol levels? What about "adrenal fatigue?"
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  999 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by pekkaster View Post
    Isn't caffeine a diuretic? It is, so why Kiefer is using caffeine in conjunction with creatine, especially post-wo? Am I having wrong data about proper post-wo nutrition or is this something too meticulous to concern with?
    Caffeine is indeed a diuretic. How I think of creatine though, is if you drink enough water (more than usual when intaking diuretics), your creatine stores will be fine.
    What I don't agree with though, is his emphasis on isolate and hydrolysate. Then again, I don't even see the point in hydrolysate, so call me crazy. I'm more of a believer in a steadier protein release through the day, or pulse feeding it if using a faster acting protein.

Also.. what in the world kind of coffee is he drinking? Average normal sized coffees have ~100mg caffeine. His cups have 200mg, and he drinks 2?! Probably drinking a litre of coffee or something. And pre-workout? Man I'd spend more timing peeing than working out.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by jhhutchison View Post
    I am not shooting anything down in this article but I am mixed in whether I agree with the author's saying "For optimum carbohydrate utilization without storing fat, we need to eat carbs at night". I have read too many sources that have stated that this is a taboo practice. The only source I can provide on hand at the moment is from the magazine *** hands out all the time that had Greg Plitt featured on the cover. He laid out the nutritional and dietary practices of his program. The article made it clear this was one of the most detrimental practices to preventing unwanted lipid cell assimilation.
    Trusting something from a *** store is the first problem. Second, Kiefer cites all of his sources on where he is getting this information. This isn't just stuff he is coming up with on his own out of thin air. Just because a magazine article says it true doesn't mean its credible. Check Kiefers sources. I utilize carb backloading and its the best method of eating i have encountered. the past 3 month period i have made incredible gains with shedding lots of bodyfat just by changing my carb intake.

I was active duty army infantry. The army knows so little about proper exercise and nutrition its sad. The first problem is most people don't even drink water before PT, much less take anything to benefit the workout. Second problem is body weight exercise can only benefit the body for so long. You need weights in combination with cardio and body weight. 99 percent of the time they do no incorporate this. The army is actually starting to transition over to Cross Fit but very slowly. Third problem, running 5 miles does not translate to being able to sprint with gear on during battle drills that are the most important part of the job. I cannot even count the amount of times we would run 5 miles 3 times a week. The real problem is the uneducated NCO's running PT in the first place. Morning PT sucks. No one wants to do it. I could get 100 people to vouch for this. In Iraq when we had a choice of when to workout, every single person would workout in the afternoon. Not a *single* person would wake up early to workout. You can get used to doing anything ****ty but that doesnt mean its what u want or need.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by asdfvtn View Post
    Caffeine is indeed a diuretic.
    Initially, yes, caffeine has a diuretic effect. Over time, however, the body becomes acclimated to the caffeine and it no longer has that effect with chronic usage. I don't have the citations handy, but there are several studies over the past decade or so that have proven this out. In fact, caffeinated beverages, after tolerance, actually increase fluid/hydration levels as much as their non-caffeinated bretheren.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What to pair with Caffeine for cutting?
    By ZoMbSta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 06:14 PM
  2. Couldn't Get PCT On Plane--5 Day Break Crippling For Gains?
    By envirocopy511 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
  4. rep range for gaining MASS
    By NevrEnuf in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 08:33 AM
  5. T-Mag's Training For Gaining
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2