Article: Muscle Confusion For Gains

1. Registered User

Article: Muscle Confusion For Gains

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

Progressive overload is ultimately needed for lean mass gains. However, anecdotally, and now with some scientific support, it seems like very frequent training variation may help speed up lean mass accrual (assuming strength increases is correlating with muscle growth).

I don't agree with Dr. Stoppani's recommendation to use massive rep range variation with exercise variation. Layne Norton and others have made good arguments for using 5-7 reps to concentric failure as a primary hypertrophy base (for tension stimulus) with higher rep training (10-12) as a secondary rep range for (fatigue stimulus) to increase TUT while still utilizing a good percentage of muscle fibers. There is hardly ever a reason to use 20-30 reps is a hypertrophy program. It is not a good hypertrophy range for numerous, very well studied and elucidated reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum.

What would be better than Dr. Stoppani's recommendation here, would be to use 3 or 4 primary exercises for each body part and cycle them WHILE USING PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD. Thta is the key. Add weight to the bar with each cycle and you have the benefits of exercise variation/novel stimulation with progressive overload.
  3. Registered User

Just refer to Serious Growth 2 and Big Beyond Belief SG 3. Put out by Leo Costa Jr. Allegedly written by Jon Olsen & Phil Hernon. Apparently, Hernon's personal routine and how he trains his clients is similar to BBB. SG 4, Titan Training, came later. All good stuff.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  203 lbs.

^ My thoughts exactly. It can be a pain to log each cycle but otherwise I can see people just going in circles and lifting the same weight second time around and so on. I want to incorporate this with PO and Im pretty excited about it actually :D

Similar Forum Threads

1. Quick advice for fat loss/muscle preservation or gaining diet
    By thewolf49 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
  3. good book for gaining 20 ibs of muscle in a month
    By fellowmike in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 03:25 AM
  5. Does Sleeping at night verses the day time matter for gain muscle?
    By John Smeton in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM