Article: Diet Drama

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Diet Drama

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Excellent article. Best I've read in some time. It really points to how little we (we as in "society") actually know about diet. If there was any significant amount hard & fast knowledge then there wouldn't be such a proliferation of silly ideas (no-one argues about how electricity works these days), but that's how it goes.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Excellent article. Best I've read in some time. It really points to how little we (we as in "society") actually know about diet. If there was any significant amount hard & fast knowledge then there wouldn't be such a proliferation of silly ideas (no-one argues about how electricity works these days), but that's how it goes.
    TL:DR :->

but I do want to mention that even a scientific mindset is not free from the burden of perception. I think there is some merit to entertaining ideas that are not supported by any available evidence. Not to say you should adopt these ideas but I believe its beneficial to consider them to be possibilities.

When you really get down to it...to the most fundamental aspects of any cosmological or scientific worldview you enter into the realm of philosophy where you are forced to face annoying questions like what does it mean to think about something a certain way and how was that idea formed and how do we apply these ideas and etc.

Point being that all meaning is relative and its good to realize that your experience is highly individualized and others will not draw the same conclusions as you even when presented with the same information.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

...you start out saying that people are too close minded and only want to learn about what they know to be true then you go and talk down about the concerns of others. The fact is you are going to buy into a system no matter what...it appear that the author buys into a highly utilitarian(?) mindset when it comes to dieting. Others worry about the effects of modified foods on the environment and how they effect our bodies. Other may have read research that shows that organically grown foods have much higher nutrient contents than non-organically grown foods. Using pasture raised eggs as an example....they are much higher in nutrients then the eggs you would buy at walmart...and the chickens are treated much better.

anyway everyone cares about different things and that is fine. and its fine to try and get others to think like you do...there is nothing wrong with sharing something that you are passionate about.

My 2 cents is that meal planning is probably the most effective way to diet...but I understand why people dont do it...because it can be a pain and it requires you to calculate everything you are going to eat ahead of time. Tracking what you eat is much easier and it can help you to get an idea of when you are on/off track.

Similar Forum Threads

1. article on shbg and diet AKA fiber plays a huge role
    By hardasnails1973 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
  2. Interesting Article on Dieting by Blood Type.
    By Quinc in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 12:10 AM
  3. Article: High Protein Diet Curbs Appetite.
    By burnuphard in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
  4. Diet articles
    By Bleeding_Fina in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM
  5. My MCLL Diet Article.
    By dez/null in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 10:35 PM