Article: Is Squatting Worth It?

1. Registered User

Article: Is Squatting Worth It?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  172 lbs.

Pre exhaustion is a good idea. Do your extensions, press before squats. Same idea with deadlifts at the end of your workout. However, I'd hate to see someone read this and avoid the compound lifts.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I'd love to see what more knowledgeable people have to say about this. Intuitively, I think he's missing the point that those who develop back problems from squatting get it from not being a stickler with technique, and one false move on a bad day leading to disaster; and that back problems related to squatting has little to do with spinal compression. But, I can't back that thought of mine up ... maybe someone should repost in exercise physiology section.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  212 lbs.

I think all the carbs especially grains have a lot to do with degenerative joint conditions
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.

Leg extensions as a better alternative? My eyes are bleeding and my IQ has dropped a couple points upon reading this
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  234 lbs.

Originally Posted by Anothergymrat View Post
    Leg extensions as a better alternative? My eyes are bleeding and my IQ has dropped a couple points upon reading this
    And how... One of my favorite Dan John quotes comes to mind- "squatting doesn't hurt your knees, how YOU squat hurts your knees!"

Most people do too much in the gym anyway. Brooks Kubik has about the best advice ever regarding squatting and other compound lifts. If you aren't a pro bodybuilder on gallons of juice (I don't have any issues with sensible use of gear btw) then less is more. Pre-exhaustion on a highly technical lift like the squat is totally retarded and begging for any number of injuries.

Technique is everything, and no one else but you can determine what is "proper form" for your structure. A lot of people want to dismiss it or not even consider it when it is mentioned, but Gym Movement is the best way to get there. Look up Adam T Glass on youtube and you'll find a dude so strong in a variety of lifts as to defy comprehension, especially in the realm of hand strength...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squatting
    By Sporter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM
  2. Squatting in Canvas Article
    By Ichidan in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
  3. Article On Box Squatting
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science