Article: Faster Bench Progression From Faster Concentrics

1. Registered User

Article: Faster Bench Progression From Faster Concentrics

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Pretty cool research. This supports the implementation of speed work for bench in Westside, as well as the countless addendums by elite benchers that say you should actually do the eccentric slowly on DE bench days rather than bomb it down to your chest for best results.

My only qualm is that there should have been a third experimental group (a second control) that used the exact same volume as the experimental group. As it stands now, it looks like the research concludes speed bench training is more effective than training to failure for increasing your bench. However, the way ergolog describes it the research does not conclusively make the case for using a slow eccentric for speed work.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

That 3rd group would help a lot -

Hmm....I started working on increasing the speed of certain lifts recently - I mapped out my future goals & noticed I need an investment in more weight, so I'm hoping to buy a little time with the weight I've got at home... When I add weight, I'm going for 8 reps, if I can do all 8 reps, then the next time I do that exercise, I'll go 10 or 12 reps, if I can do that, then the next time I'll go for a faster speed (keeping form clean) - all those aspects met, then I'll up the weight again.... So far, I've noticed some quick strength increases, especially on dips, as well as rows.

I know I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet & buy more wieght, but I've gotta manage the "don't piss of the wife" part of the budget... :)
    •