Article: Eat Chicken Instead Of Beef

1. Registered User

Article: Eat Chicken Instead Of Beef

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I was going to say, the point they make about the dangers of red meat in relation to how it's usually prepared is a good point. I don't believe much of the flack red meat catches, though, since it comes from the FDA nutrition club that still gets the dietary causes of obesity and diabetes wrong. But on the front of meat preparation, I find it suspect that replacing red meat with chicken would suddenly lead to such life extending benefits when chicken is often prepared the same way as beef (I grill my beef/steaks and chicken with the same grill). I suspect a lot has to do with the selection of red meat they use, a point not controlled for in this study.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

^no red meat? kiss your gains goodbye!!!!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

Statistics prove correlation not causation.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

This study fails to discuss the general lifestyle associated with meat eaters. Typically, when not eating "meat" for protein as we bb'ers do, meat-eaters are usually the fat slobs you see stuffing their face. Vegans are usually healthy largely due to their life style choice. They simply fail to see the falty logic behind giving up meat but they do foster healthy lives. Again, traditionally speaking, most people, large "MEN" love meat and don't give a hoot about their health.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    This study fails to discuss the general lifestyle associated with meat eaters. Typically, when not eating "meat" for protein as we bb'ers do, meat-eaters are usually the fat slobs you see stuffing their face. Vegans are usually healthy largely due to their life style choice. They simply fail to see the falty logic behind giving up meat but they do foster healthy lives. Again, traditionally speaking, most people, large "MEN" love meat and don't give a hoot about their health.
    plus the world is falling apart, so why give up red meat for a supposed few extra years
  7. Registered User

For years some physicians have avoided red meat when designing heart-healthy diets for their patients. Turns out that's a bum steer, according to a study published in the June 28 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.
    With a grant from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, researchers at Johns Hopkins, the Chicago Center for Clinical Research and the University of Minnesota Hospital and Clinics put 191 adults with elevated cholesterol levels on a comprehensive low-fat, low-cholesterol diet that included lean meat. Patients were randomly assigned to consume 80 percent of their meat intake from lean red meats (beef, veal or pork) for five to seven days a week for nine months, or to eat lean white meats (fish or poultry) for the same length of time.
    At study's end, subjects in both groups had nearly identical changes in their cholesterol levels. All saw an average decrease of 1 to 3 percent in low-density lipoproteins, or "bad cholesterol"; an average increase of 2 percent in high-density lipoproteins, or "good cholesterol"; and an average decrease of 6 percent in triglycerides, molecules needed to make fats.
    "Chicken and fish traditionally have been considered healthier than red meat because many cuts of red meat can have too much saturated fat," says Peter O. Kwiterovich, M.D., director of The Johns Hopkins University Lipid Clinic. "Now, lean cuts of red meat are readily available to consumers. If you follow a heart-healthy diet, it doesn't make a difference whether you eat red meat or white meat, as long as you choose lean cuts."
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

So as a believer in the "eat right for your blood type" concept, I experienced first hand that as a 'B' blood type chicken is definitely an avoid for some. Several years ago I did a ketosis diet and ate mostly chicken as my protein source along with other sources including whey powders. As expected my body did become weaker due to the lack of carbs, however once complete I continued to eat lots of chicken. My trainer was stumped as to why my poundages and overall strength remained impaired for sometime. Years later reading about blood type dieting it made sense, shouldn't eat chicken (at least you should restrict how much) if you are type B. So, I would be interested to see how this fits into the studies results.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM