Article: Is Bodybuilding Functional?

1. Registered User

Article: Is Bodybuilding Functional?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

I am no competitive bodybuilder, but I like to work out and I follow the "old school" thinking, Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Weighted Pull-ups, Food! As for functional strength - Me and 2 other guys were faced with lifting the body off an old car they were restoring. He was adamant that we would need more guys, but I just said "nah, you 2 take the back, I'll get the front on my own" Plenty of deadlifting prepared me to lift it easily and safely - no risk of injury, and I got to look badass (which is always a bonus).
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Studies have shown that having more muscle is healthier. Your body its able to handle insulin better as well as burn more calories while sitting. Id much rather have muscle than be a fragile stick. As those people age they will find themselves more susceptible to injury. Strength training also increases bone density and tendon strength. Your friend needs to be told that you train smarter not harder. over training is what will ultimately lead to injuries and bad health.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.

Emptying the dishwasher ??? that's a killer one ... Leave it to the wifey or the kids or just leave it : ) my lower back thanks me every time *
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

i'm all for fuctional strength and astethics personally :) i personally skip the cross fit / trx / bocce ball training they offer at my gym.

I get far more functional benefits running after / carrying / playing with my daughter..

Its like Rocky, if you can catch a 1 year old you are in shape :)
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Originally Posted by CrazyBassGuy View Post
    I am no competitive bodybuilder, but I like to work out and I follow the "old school" thinking, Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Weighted Pull-ups, Food! As for functional strength - Me and 2 other guys were faced with lifting the body off an old car they were restoring. He was adamant that we would need more guys, but I just said "nah, you 2 take the back, I'll get the front on my own" Plenty of deadlifting prepared me to lift it easily and safely - no risk of injury, and I got to look badass (which is always a bonus).

Hahahaha sounds good!!! I am a strength athlete and i do strong man events i pull cars trucks , limos, anything big and sitting cold . I do agree training that is based on the mother stable lifts is always a gainer in anything you do!!
  7. Registered User

You guys all make some great points. I think a lot of people hear rumors and don't realize that most of the problems in bodybuilding is caused by overuse of machines. Lifting weights is lifting weights. I love the car lifting example. It's just like how in Pumping Iron, Franco Columbo dead lifts a the back of a car on his own. I think the keys are to not neglect proper form, cardiovascular fitness, or strength work. Old school bodybuilding utilizes all of those principles.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Originally Posted by CrazyBassGuy View Post
    Well said.
    The basics will always work for funtional strength.
    It is called 'bodybuilding' and not comsmetic sculpting.
    Obviously people who say bodybuilding is just for show do not know what they are tlaking about.
    Clean diet alone is a cornerstone of overall health.
    "I don't want anything. I don't want anybody. That's the worst part. When the want goes, that's bad."
    (Doug Stanhope as Eddie on Louie)
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Originally Posted by GuyverX View Post
    Well said.
    The basics will always work for funtional strength.
    It is called 'bodybuilding' and not comsmetic sculpting.
    Obviously people who say bodybuilding is just for show do not know what they are tlaking about.
    Clean diet alone is a cornerstone of overall health.

Well said by everyone .... Good old fashioned training clean eating will do wonders ... Franco Columbo and all the other guys trained on those principles and had some great physiques and strength , now everyone looks bloated on drugs and i am doubting their strength . Bodybuilding needs to reach back in the roots of that era again.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 114
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 07:39 AM
  2. functional bodybuilding
    By columbo200 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. L Rea's Article On Bodybuilding.com
    By raybravo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 11:10 AM