Article: Is The Leg Press Worthless?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Is The Leg Press Worthless?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

What?!? Lateral rises, bicep curls, bench press and overhead raises useless?!? Umm ok
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I will always utilize leg presses in my routine...just like any movement utilize full range of motion. As we all have said...go heavy or go home!
    Strength and Honor!!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Answers

nothing is useless when you master technique! funny article
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

i see the common arguments used when talking about it. but what about the fact that the shearing forces to the lumbar region are some of the highest around.

dr stuart mcgill talks about avoiding it. and just for the reason i mentioned above. to me the chance of injury to the spine outweighs any benefits listed above.

now i remember seeing dr mcgill many years ago talk about when would it be a good time to us it, rehab. using 1 leg at a time only lowers the harmful forces to much less then exercises like the squat and deadlift, therefore making it beneficial.

that kind of goes along with a saying my training mentor once told me, dont be a tool, learn to use your tools.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Multiple shoulder injuries and surgeries in shoulders and scapula region along with compressed c6 c7 vertabret that I've had treatment for have left my range of motion to hold a squat bar extremely uncomfortable, along with numerous broken foot injuries and ankles adversely affecting my knees have left me unable to do squats very well . So I gotta say I'm great full for the sled to strengthen my legs and build muscle so hopefully someday I can get back under the bar and get my squat on.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post
    Multiple shoulder injuries and surgeries in shoulders and scapula region along with compressed c6 c7 vertabret that I've had treatment for have left my range of motion to hold a squat bar extremely uncomfortable, along with numerous broken foot injuries and ankles adversely affecting my knees have left me unable to do squats very well . So I gotta say I'm great full for the sled to strengthen my legs and build muscle so hopefully someday I can get back under the bar and get my squat on.
    There you go, have to adapt to other exercises to build your legs, yesterday I loaded the leg press up with 1125 lbs or so and did 3 sets of 12 reps for my work sets, I could have done more but had no where else to put plates on, or needed a volunteer to sit on the sled for added weight...tell me full range of motion, and yes I wrap my knees, won't put mass on your legs using that weight ;). It is the best feeling pushing that much weight off of you...like Arnold used to say "it is almost as good as sex"...well wouldn't go that far ;).
    Strength and Honor!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith Machine Behind Neck Press vs Dumbbell Press
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Dumbbell Press or Chest Press -- Do you go all the way down?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM