1. Registered User

Article: Carbs For Fat Loss

2. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Good article.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  206 lbs.

Ok, so I have a question. I don't get done lifting till around 7pm and I know you said unless you do a late night gym session avoid carbs. My meal after working out is usually full of chicken, broccoli, bell peppers and mushrooms and then I take in two bowls of oatmeal because I do an early morning cardio session before PT. Am I taking in to much carbs before bed?
    •   

4. Registered User

If your plan is to lose weight, it's best to minimize carbs until your weight is where you want it to be.

If your feel that you must have more carbs to support your exercise while you are losing weight, you are exercising too much! Ease up, let your body set itself right.

Also, the whole grains thing shows that the author is behind the times. Grains are not human food. They need to go.
  5. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Originally Posted by DouthitD View Post
    Ok, so I have a question. I don't get done lifting till around 7pm and I know you said unless you do a late night gym session avoid carbs. My meal after working out is usually full of chicken, broccoli, bell peppers and mushrooms and then I take in two bowls of oatmeal because I do an early morning cardio session before PT. Am I taking in to much carbs before bed?
    Depends more on how long before bed you are eating them more than anything else. So long as theres still 90 minutes or so for insulin levels to go back down, its fine.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Originally Posted by Apollonius View Post
    Also, the whole grains thing shows that the author is behind the times. Grains are not human food. They need to go.
    "behind the times" says who? A bunch of other nutritionists, with no scientific data backing them either. Gluten sensitivity seems to be way over-reported. Here's an article on that

http://bostonherald.com/entertainmen...ways_necessary

If you feel better after cutting white bread out of your diet that doesn't mean you were gluten intolerant before.

Claims of being gluten-sensitive, the authors write, “seem to increase daily, with no adequate scientific support to back them up. ... This clamor has increased and moved from the Internet to the popular media, where gluten has become ‘the new diet villain.’”
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  227 lbs.

Theres some conflicting research on whether carbs after exercise is actually a good thing.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  206 lbs.

I usually don't eat any carbs until lunch time because I have read that your testosterone levels spike around 9am and carbs before that plays an adverse roll in it. So, should I eat all of my carbs (oat meal and fruit) in the morning, snack, lunch and pre work out and then after my work out just my protein shake, chicken and veggies?
  9. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

"Carbohydrates are an essential macronutrient"

False, end of the reading.
  10. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Originally Posted by AutoKal47 View Post

that was a pretty funny line
    This space for rent

11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

No carbs at night? better in the morning? bro science at its best. This article is total BS.
  12. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Originally Posted by anaboliko View Post
    No carbs at night? better in the morning? bro science at its best. This article is total BS.
    Elaborate?
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

carbs at night for the win...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  14. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Elaborate?
    its just that. there is 0 science backing it, if anything there is science that shows carbs later in the day being more beneficial.
    This space for rent

15. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

its just that. there is 0 science backing it, if anything there is science that shows carbs later in the day being more beneficial.
    I personally eat them when I feel like it lol
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

most do respond to lower carb or carb cycling for weight loss, although this article has no relation to the last cut i did with a "high" carb diet....
    www.lgsciences.com
  17. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    most do respond to lower carb or carb cycling for weight loss, although this article has no relation to the last cut i did with a "high" carb diet....
    What did u do? Just decrease cal?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

What did u do? Just decrease cal?
    i still was in a cal deficient but kept carbs higher than one would think...over time i stopped playing into what the masses believe you have to do to cut and bulk, works good for me....plus i LOVE carbs....
    www.lgsciences.com
  19. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Case closed...thanks for saving me writing that
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  20. Registered User

if anything there is science that shows carbs later in the day being more beneficial.
    If you eat all your protein in the first half of the day...
  21. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

I understand not eating processed carbs that sort of garbage.
    The part I Want to understand is a slow carb vs. A fast carb. Let's say a red potato plus a sweet potato, nutrients aside...,
    Do people put faith in that faster carbs such as a white potato will most likely be stored as fat over slower carb as a sweet potato?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  22. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

The part I Want to understand is a slow carb vs. A fast carb. Let's say a red potato plus a sweet potato, nutrients aside...,
    Do people put faith in that faster carbs such as a white potato will most likely be stored as fat over slower carb as a sweet potato?
    it depends on volumes too. but more total over calories/under
    This space for rent

23. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

I agree to a certain extent as well, cause I like carb lol....
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

i have not seen a difference as far as fat storage form hi/lo gi carbs...and i eat a ton of starchy carbs
    www.lgsciences.com
  25. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

It's bs: Carb source doesn't matter
    ..:: ENHANCED BODY FORMULATIONS ::..
    Recompadrol & AAV2 - PM me with any questions

26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  153 lbs.

^^ and what is you're current body fat %?
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  227 lbs.

I think I feel the same way on this one.
  28. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Originally Posted by androsoft View Post
    ^^ and what is you're current body fat %?
    Mine? 4%

29. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

"behind the times" says who? A bunch of other nutritionists, with no scientific data backing them either. Gluten sensitivity seems to be way over-reported. Here's an article on that

http://bostonherald.com/entertainmen...ways_necessary

If you feel better after cutting white bread out of your diet that doesn't mean you were gluten intolerant before.
    I dont demonize all grains the way the majority of the paleo crowd does, but as far as gluten is concerned, I really dont think is is ideal for human consumption. Some people may have a obvious pathological reaction and some people have a subjective reaction or over reaction to it but this doesnt mean gluten is ok since they are over reacting.

PMID:20637226
    PMID:20514534
    PMID 21224837
    PMID:20052669

Seem to suggest that gluten does inherently inflames the human intestine and the last study seems to suggest that even if you have a healthy level of git flora (which most do not) it still doesnt completely protect you from the inflammation.

Do you feel that gluten in itself is not pro inflammatory Easy?

I can agree that most people become too dogmatic about dieting and never really stop to question why things are being done or said.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  30. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

It may be somewhat pro inflammatory but enough to make a significant health/goals difference? Exercise is pro inflammatory and we still do it. There definitely are people who should avoid gluten but eaten moderately (on the order of less than 60g or so of gluten containing grains) I don't think it's an issue for most of the population
    This space for rent

31. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

It may be somewhat pro inflammatory but enough to make a significant health/goals difference?
    This I do not know but it is a interesting question to ask. I would imagine that you would have to take all other factors (i.e genetics, rest of diet, current health, etc) into consideration and not just gluten in order to determine if it will be detrimental to progress and health.

So while gluten itself may possibly be intrinsically pro-inflammatory, on its own it may not make or break your health/fitness goals. I can agree with this

My question then is why eat it when there are so many other options? Besides convenience, is there any real benefit to a diet including gluten?

Exercise is pro inflammatory and we still do it.
    couple things with this line. First lets differentiate between systematic inflammation and acute inflammation.

How can you compare the acute inflammation response to exercise, to the chronic systematic inflammation response to eating gluten?

Second, the idea that exercise is pro-inflammatory really isnt that clear cut to begin with. In fact, some research have demonstrated that regular exercise actually lowers CRP (which is the marker for systematic inflammation). Now this isnt to say that exercise itself isnt pro-inflammatory (especially since inflammation is how our body heals and protects itself) but more to echo your question, to what degree is this inflammation and will it hinder performance or health? If anything I would call the inflammatory response to exercise a good thing, wouldnt you? Especially if you take into account the research showing the positive effect it can have on decreasing systematic inflammation markers.
  32. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

It mostly is convenience, and its not that easy to ignore convenience. Busy lives, work, learning, gym, families, etc. a sandwich is convenient way to get your carbs and protein. And gluten free bread is more expensive.

Ok, the exercise being inflammatory is different, but there are plenty of other pro inflammatory foods. Depending on who you get info from, honey, potatoes, rice and any non-free range meats are proinlammatory too. I'm not saying go ahead and eat as much inflammatory food as possible but just that the gluten free craze has already gone too far. Gluten free bread made witb hfcs and canola oil is probably not much less inlammatory to average person than bread with gluten.

I mean Christ how many places now sell gluten free cookies, cakes and cupcakes? Sure if you have celiacs that's nice, but otherwise?
    This space for rent

33. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

It mostly is convenience, and its not that easy to ignore convenience. Busy lives, work, learning, gym, families, etc. a sandwich is convenient way to get your carbs and protein. And gluten free bread is more expensive.
    No offense but this sounds more like an excuse than a reason. How hard is it really to pack a chicken salad in some tupperware and bring to work? Or even in the car on the go, how hard is it to have a shake? And even if the scenario is that it is damn near impossible to sit down and eat something, then dont? With the recent wave of this IF trend I am sure most know the old rule of "having" to eat every 3 hours is false.

So is there a scenario where a sandwich is necessary?

Ok, the exercise being inflammatory is different, but there are plenty of other pro inflammatory foods. Depending on who you get info from, honey, potatoes, rice and any non-free range meats are proinlammatory too.
    references for those? I only ask because red & sweet potatoes and rice make up the majority of my carb intake.

I'm not saying go ahead and eat as much inflammatory food as possible but just that the gluten free craze has already gone too far. Gluten free bread made witb hfcs and canola oil is probably not much less inlammatory to average person than bread with gluten.

I mean Christ how many places now sell gluten free cookies, cakes and cupcakes? Sure if you have celiacs that's nice, but otherwise?

Like this

I couldnt agree more!!! The same thing has been happening with "organic" food or "all natural" food. Once something becomes popular and starts getting attention then there becomes a potential to make money off the fad and these big food companies will notice that. Thats why you have companies like kellogs or general mills buying out the much smaller companies (not that this is necessarily wrong). In my eyes the term organic has lost just about all creditability. I much rather try and buy locally than go out of my way tryin to buy organic food.
  34. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I almost never eat sandwiches, i'm more thinking in terms of general population. Its never necessary, but the same can be said about half of what its in the grocery store, if not more.

For inflammation, even nutritiondata.com shows potatoes as mildly inflammatory

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2910/2

And that last part its my real issue, like carbs in general were the last decade's boogeyman, looks like gluten is this decade's. For most of the population, a moderate amount of gluten containing foods now and then shouldn't cause an issue
    This space for rent

35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

I had a sandwich today. I was my cheat day and I was feeling sick so I wanted it. Bu enough of that. The difficulty, it seems, is more carb choice than timing. The availability of high glycemic processed carbs way overpowers that for more rudimentary and basic carb sources. Red/sweet potatos, steel cut oats, and Uncle Bens converted brown rice are all my intake. And grapefruit during cut.

Protein/carbs = acidic = inflammation
    Fats/dietary fiber = alkaline = anti-inflammatory
  36. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Based on daily macros what's considered low carb? 25% of overall daily calorie intake?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  37. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Based on daily macros what's considered low carb? 25% of overall daily calorie intake?
    A % that force your body to switch to a different source for energy I'd say.
    Otherwise I wouldn't see the point..

38. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

A % that force your body to switch to a different source for energy I'd say.
    Otherwise I wouldn't see the point..
    Yeah but if you ate that more in the morning and not later in the day hopefully you could burn them off in the earlier part of the day, either way I never tried it so I'll have to.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  39. AK DoubleWide 47
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Yeah but if you ate that more in the morning and not later in the day hopefully you could burn them off in the earlier part of the day, either way I never tried it so I'll have to.
    I'll run the risk of being very unpopular but I truly believe it doesn't change a rat's a## when you eat them...
    Body comp's turnaround is not that fast

40. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

even if that was true and possible, why eat them in the first place then? Why not eat something that has more health value?
    This space for rent

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. carbs better than no carbs for fat loss?
    By rrm in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 05:58 PM