Article: Working Your Body's Fuel Switches

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Working Your Body's Fuel Switches

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Answers

Great article! and more good evidence leaning towards Intermittent fasting. I really have to start this after my skiing vacation to drop some pounds. This has been one of my favourite articles yet! I hope this reads okay, i just had a whole lot of kava.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Very interesting. I was always under the impression that when dieting down, if your not consuming proteins through out the day, its very detrimental to your LBM.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Answers

I would PAY for an answer to these questions: I am a type 1 diabetic keep in mind... Im going to ask these questions as simply put as I can. I have had enough searching for answers and hope you all can help! 1. What does insulin sensativity mean? 2. Is being more insulin sensative good or bad? 3. If being insulin sensative is good, how so? I thought insulin is anabolic? So, the more insulin you produce/inject the more muscle mass you would obtain correct? 4. I am type 1 diabetic, and have been taking less and less insulin as I have been using IGF LR3 and my needs have gone down...AGAIN, is this good or am I setting myself up for LESS muscle gain by not injecting as much insulin?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

"Insulin sensitivity is a term used to describe people who require relatively normal or low levels of insulin to process glucose. People with insulin resistance, on the other hand, need a lot of insulin to process glucose, and this leads to health problems. Several diagnostic tests can be used to determine how sensitive someone is to insulin, and these tests may be ordered if a doctor suspects that a patient is having difficulty with glucose metabolism.

The pancreas is responsible for secreting insulin. Insulin triggers tissues in the body to absorb glucose from the blood, lowering blood sugar levels so that they will remain relatively stable. These tissues can store glucose in the form of glycogen. In someone with insulin sensitivity, the insulin works as it should; when insulin-sensitive tissues like the liver and the muscles are exposed to the hormone, they respond by absorbing glucose.

In someone with insulin resistance, large amounts of insulin are needed to achieve the same effect. "

A couple of good reads: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...wer_of_insulin

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...in_sensitivity
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Much appreciated. Let me know how I can help. As to the questions, this is just general advice since you will need to talk to your doc about your particular case as misuse of insulin can kill you. The above is great for a definition.2) more sensitive, in general, is better. BUT it varies depending on the tissue. In a perfect world, we want muscle to be sensitive to insulin and fat not to be as sensitive. Again, this is unfortunately and over simplification too. Insulin is anabolic in the sense that it cause STORAGE (fat or muscle). As for muscle, it appear to be mostly anti-catabolic3) we also need to keep in mind 1) the amount of insulin released and 2) how sensitive the receptors are in the body. The body can regulate specific TISSUE effects by altering the receptor, yet still releasing the same amount of insulin. 4) it would be determined by your current results. If your results are great, then why change?Hope that helps a bit and stay safe!Mike T Nelson
  7. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Hi Mike, I've got a related question that I've wondered about for a while. When for fat loss, growth hormone, etc insulin is talked about as a detractor, but I can't recall seeing any studies on those where it was insulin independent of nutrition. I've always wondered how sure the researchers were that it was truly the insulin level as the cause, and not the heightened glucose/amino/fatty acid levels (which of course cause heightened insulin levels). I guess I'm wondering how possible it is that there is some confusion between correlation and causation as far as insulin itself goes.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  8. Registered User
    Answers

The short answer, is I would agree. Anytime we look at causation, it gets hard. Do we really ever know the cause? We do know how close events are to each other via association. I like association instead of causation, but I understand your point. The hard part is it's not ONLY insulin and the tissue sensitivity to insulin can vary a lot AND be different in different tissue (liver, vs muscle, vs fat are the big ones). If you have a particular study. I may be able to give you a better answer. If we look at Type 2 Diabetics, they can still lose weight, even with goofy insulin/glucose values; but it probably won't be as easy as someone who is more healthy. Rarely, is it ever ONE thing 100% of the time in physiology. The key is to try to narrow it down to the things that 1) matter 2) we have some control over; and for that, endogenous insulin fits nicely. Hope that helps! Rock on Mike T Nelson PhD(c)
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Any body Dip while working out?
    By theBIGcactus in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 10:57 PM
  2. Super Set by Body Fuel anyone know of it?
    By mouth16 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 12:17 PM
  4. Article-Change your body for life
    By windwords7 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 12:36 PM