Concerns in Regards to My Workout

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Unhappy Concerns in Regards to My Workout

I have been working out since 2005 and I have seen significant results. However, I'm at a point in my work out regimen where I feel tired and unmotivated to work out.

I have been interested in bulking up and I still am, but I recently started bench pressing about 185 and going up to 190 and then 195. When I start my first set I do about 8 full controlled reps, but when I get to my second set I do about 5 or 6 if I have a spotter. Then when I get to 195 I only do 3 or 4 if I have a spotter.

Does it take time to strengthen my muscles or am I just in need of some supplements?? Also, I'm 5'10" 180 pounds with an athletic build, when do I know when its best to stop bulking? Is there a limit as far as how much I can bench press??

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

if you're tired and unmotivated, switch up your routine a bit. muscles will take time to get the strength you think they should have. you say "when i start my first set i do 8 full controlled reps" - do you do a warmup set first? second, 8 reps is ok, 2nd set 6 reps is ok, 3rd set 4 reps is ok - if you're doing a strength workout. if you're going for mass you need 8-12 reps usually. strength is anywhere between 4-6 reps, so it really depends on what you're going for. maybe for a better balance, you may want 2x175x10 reps, then 1x190x6 reps, 1x195x4 reps.

there is a cutoff as far as how much you can bench, but everyone is different. there's a guy in NYC who is 165 lbs in the police force who benches 400. i'm 185 and thats a dream i will never accomplish. just keep at it, if you see gains, thats what keeps you motivated and going. try switching up your routine - DC, GVT, dropsets, pyramid sets, supersets, figure out what works for you and gets you motivated to come back. we all play this game, and we all loose interest with something, but we also know that if we don't stay at it, we will loose all the gains we've spent years getting. hope this helps.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DaTruthMMA View Post
    I have been working out since 2005 and I have seen significant results. However, I'm at a point in my work out regimen where I feel tired and unmotivated to work out.

I have been interested in bulking up and I still am, but I recently started bench pressing about 185 and going up to 190 and then 195. When I start my first set I do about 8 full controlled reps, but when I get to my second set I do about 5 or 6 if I have a spotter. Then when I get to 195 I only do 3 or 4 if I have a spotter.

Does it take time to strengthen my muscles or am I just in need of some supplements?? Also, I'm 5'10" 180 pounds with an athletic build, when do I know when its best to stop bulking? Is there a limit as far as how much I can bench press??
    You should take a multi vitamin, creatine, glutamine, and 4-6 grams of fish oil as your staples. Make sure to take in as much protien as possible also. You may be doing your reps too slow which is causing you to have endurance issues in your later sets. If your lifting for strength then you need to do your positive as fast as possible (be explosive), while your negative should remain controlled and steady. You have alot to gain and should probably start to focus on your accessory stuff like; lats, traps, tri's, and upper back. The accessories are as ,if not more, important than pec strength. This should stear you in the right direction in a hurry!:bb3:
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

thanks guys. i changed up my routine several times. i started doing specific muscles, such as biceps on a monday and so on. then i started doing 2 muscles in one day such as chest and biceps. then i changed it to chest and tris on mondays, back and biceps on wed, forearms on thursday, and legs and shoulders on friday. cardio on all three days. im going to switch up my work out again and reassess my eating habits.
    thanks again
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

oh i forgot to add, i just started a new work out on tuesday and thursday morning. i do boxing drills for an hour from 630am to 730am. its pretty intense, so maybe this is why i feel tired and unmotivated. could that be a factor.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

possibly. after that boxing training, take a protein shake with carbs, and 1000mcg of b-12 from longs (5 bucks for at least a 30 day supply). that will motivate you.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

sounds good ima try that.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

oh i forgot to add, i just started a new work out on tuesday and thursday morning. i do boxing drills for an hour from 630am to 730am. its pretty intense, so maybe this is why i feel tired and unmotivated. could that be a factor.
    I always have a drink with BCAAs, Waxy Maize, and SuperCarb during my training sessions.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

cool ima try that. ha fellow chute boxe member. cant wait to see shogun back in the octagon. shogun will be fighting mark coleman in october or november and wand will be fighting dec, not sure who though.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

cool ima try that. ha fellow chute boxe member. cant wait to see shogun back in the octagon. shogun will be fighting mark coleman in october or november and wand will be fighting dec, not sure who though.
    Doubt Shogun will be fighting Coleman, again. Doesn't make sense for him to move up to HW, hell it didn't make sense in '06.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

i think coleman will be moving to LHW, i read on this website. if i find out more i will give you an update.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I always have a drink with BCAAs, Waxy Maize, and SuperCarb during my training sessions.
    Same here. Lemonade Xtend and Unflavored WMS... Little more WMS in my PWO protein.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. A Few Concerns with My Cut
    By Jpm89 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 09:20 AM
  2. DCP during PCT - ANY concerns?
    By djremix in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
  3. DCP during PCT - ANY concerns?
    By djremix in forum Nutraplanet