What do you think of this exercise?

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
i have done them see no real issue, thats a pretty big guy doing light weight, decent form, isnt cheating to get weight up, slight hold at top

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I just don't know about the particular lifts he's doing there but it looks like crappy form. If he's moving and swaying like that maybe he should lower the weight?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This looks like a botched version of the cuban press, performed by a chubby dude in a jogging suit. Not something I would do as a jerky power-movement, unless I wanted to tear my rotator cuff.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
This looks like a botched version of the cuban press, performed by a chubby dude in a jogging suit. Not something I would do as a jerky power-movement, unless I wanted to tear my rotator cuff.
:goodpost:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I thought this as well.

I read that "Seated Dumbell Cleans" were popular in prison. I was curious to see what that exercise looked like, so a quick search of YouTube revealed this exercise.

Here's a much better video for us to critique:

Big dude

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree more - that's an RC injury waiting to happen. LOL hes using so many muscles to get them up its about as compound as they come.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I thought this as well.

I read that "Seated Dumbell Cleans" were popular in prison. I was curious to see what that exercise looked like, so a quick search of YouTube revealed this exercise.

Here's a much better video for us to critique:

Big dude
Looks like these would kick your butt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think that most people have the shoulder stability to do these without a high potential for injury.

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Just figured I'd let you guys know that the chubby dude in the sweat suit is Dave Tate.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dave Tate is a chubby dude, though.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought this as well.

Yeah, that guy was big.

Much slower form. As mentioned above, the guy in the OP is Dave Tate, whose area of expertise is in power movements (hence his jerking motion?). This exercise looks like it would really hit up your traps.

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
Yes. He gained back weight after that, tipping the scales at over 300 pounds to gain entrance into the mythical Rhodestown :bow28:
Then he started working with Justin Harris to basically walk the talk.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
With cleans on the back burner for myself, these look like a pretty solid fill in. So they are just known as seated dumbbell cleans?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
So they are just known as seated dumbbell cleans?
Yup.
Seated Dumbbell Cleans: This exercise is designed to isolate the posterior deltoids and upper back. To begin grab a pair of dumbbells and sit on the edge of a bench. Start the movement by pulling your shoulder blades up and back. At this point, bring the dumbbells up while keeping your elbows at a right angle. Keep the reps between 10-20.
-Dave Tate

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Man, I tried these at the gym today... It was a lot harder than I thought it would be! I felt like a pussy with little 25lb dumbbells. :rofl:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Man, I tried these at the gym today... It was a lot harder than I thought it would be! I felt like a pussy with little 25lb dumbbells. :rofl:
How'd they feel on your shoulders?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
those don't look to cause shoulder problems, i have tried them, they are tough. I like any accessory work where i dont have to use a ton of weight.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
How'd they feel on your shoulders?
I didn't have any issues with 3 sets. Well, aside from underestimating the difficulty of them. LOL. My shoulders are pretty solid though. It's my elbows that tend to give me problems.

Also, I did it a lot more like the 2nd video, and not the 1st. I agree that the 1st looks like an injury waiting to happen...