Lower pec training

  1. Registered User
    ptdanny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    103

    Lower pec training


    What kind of lifts do you guys do to hit your lower pecs?

    I recently changed it up for dips to decline bench to now decline flys/decline dumbells, decline push ups. I really try to keep my body symetrical and hit all of the parts of each muscle, so middle, upper & lower for chest. My chest has come a long way recently and has a pretty good lower chest cut, but it would always be improved, just curious on your guys ideas and lifts for the lower pecs and your beliefs on it. I've had some people tell me not to do anything decline & I don't need to get the nice lower cut and others that swear by it.

  2. Registered User
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Rep Power
    191395

    I'm not a fan of specialization. I beleive if you are training correctly, something like heavy benchh will hit all sides of the muscle.

    My feelings aside, declines supposedly target your 'lower pec' so stick with those for a while.
  3. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii Nei
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Rep Power
    0

    dips r as good as it gets
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    DC/MD
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    1322

    Mine have always lagged but they've gotten a bit more *oomph* since incorporating dips/weighted dips.
  5. Registered User
    grocker's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    82383

    I'm with shadow and piston on this one. Eversince I started doing gironda weighted dips, my chest has grown and inch and it's starting to shape my lower pec nicely.
  6. Registered User
    ptdanny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    103

    thanks guys!
    ya i love the dips, the only reason i got away from them is because i felt like my tris and shoulders were still being worked too much from the weight.

    I lean forward as much as possible and my chest gets most of the work, but when u have a lot of weight hanging the other muscles are going to get some major stress too. I thought they would make my tris or shoulders recover slower or be weaker for future workouts since they need to rest, but ill probably start with dips again.

    how kind of reps/sets & technique do you guys usually do for dips? heavy weighted ones? really slow ones?
  7. Lift Heavy
    Board Sponsor
    bLacKjAck.'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CO Springs
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    2084

    I wouldn't work your lower pecs anywhere near as much as upper. Make sure the upper pecs are always dominant....looks better

    Dips/Weighted Dips are king though...
  8. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii Nei
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,114
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    I wouldn't work your lower pecs anywhere near as much as upper. Make sure the upper pecs are always dominant....looks better

    Dips/Weighted Dips are king though...
    ill second that.
  9. Banned
    pantera101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    texas
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,312
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I'm not a fan of specialization. I beleive if you are training correctly, something like heavy benchh will hit all sides of the muscle.

    My feelings aside, declines supposedly target your 'lower pec' so stick with those for a while.
    I did flat bench for years and my upper chest is severely lagging now.I begin almost all chest wo's with inc now,and it's catching up.

    I don't know what you mean by supposedly.Do only dec and your lower chest will get sore.Do only inc and your upper chest will get sore.If flat bench were all it took to get a full rounded chest,then thats what BB'rs would be doing.

    And gironda dips kick ass ptdanny!!!!
  10. Registered User
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Rep Power
    191395

    Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    I did flat bench for years and my upper chest is severely lagging now.I begin almost all chest wo's with inc now,and it's catching up.

    I don't know what you mean by supposedly.Do only dec and your lower chest will get sore.Do only inc and your upper chest will get sore.If flat bench were all it took to get a full rounded chest,then thats what BB'rs would be doing.

    And gironda dips kick ass ptdanny!!!!
    I dunno man. When I train either decline, or incline, my whole freakin chest kills the next day. Doesn't seem to make a difference for me.
  11. Registered User
    Boyders's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    436
    Rep Power
    295

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I dunno man. When I train either decline, or incline, my whole freakin chest kills the next day. Doesn't seem to make a difference for me.
    It seems to me that you don't train upper and lower chest specifically very often or you probably wouldn't get that pain, no?
  12. Registered User
    grocker's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    82383

    I only do incline db press and weighted gironda dips but train them HST style. I'm been getting pretty good results this way eventhough I was sceptical at first. I was used to training chest twice a week with little results.
  13. Registered User
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Rep Power
    191395

    Quote Originally Posted by Boyders View Post
    It seems to me that you don't train upper and lower chest specifically very often or you probably wouldn't get that pain, no?
    I don't specify different 'parts' of that muscle no. I'm not sure if I would get that pain or not.

    I like to keep it simple. I've always read 'different heads of delts' articles in M&F, and all that. Personally I just lift as heavy as I can and my body grows by itself. lol.

    I suppose if I was trying to build a competition body, I would put more time into specification exercises for upper chest, tricep heads, delts, etc.

    But my goal right now is to become strong and big, therefor I lift more like a powerlifter (albeit without the numbers), focusing on stuff like weighted dips, bench, squat, deads, rows, overhead press.

    I've seen really skinny guys complain about 'tricep head' and 'rear delt', and do all these funny grips and variations of isolations... When in fact they should just go out and deadlift all day ... they'd be much happier with overall progress. Just my 02
  14. Banned
    pantera101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    texas
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,312
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I've seen really skinny guys complain about 'tricep head' and 'rear delt', and do all these funny grips and variations of isolations... When in fact they should just go out and deadlift all day ... they'd be much happier with overall progress. Just my 02
    Very true!But a disproportionately built body looks rediculous!You need the size first,but I see alot of guys who are severely lacking in rear delts,upper chest,forearms,tri's,or legs(quads,hams,and/or calves)It's like they just say screw it!I don't like training that or it doesn't respond like the others.So I'll just ignore it and the majority of people won't have a clue that my bi's are way too big for my tris and that my rounded shoulders are missing a head and that my calves are the same size they were when I was 15 and 80 lbs lighter!
  15. Registered User
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Rep Power
    191395

    Quote Originally Posted by pantera101 View Post
    Very true!But a disproportionately built body looks rediculous!You need the size first,but I see alot of guys who are severely lacking in rear delts,upper chest,forearms,tri's,or legs(quads,hams,and/or calves)It's like they just say screw it!I don't like training that or it doesn't respond like the others.So I'll just ignore it and the majority of people won't have a clue that my bi's are way too big for my tris and that my rounded shoulders are missing a head and that my calves are the same size they were when I was 15 and 80 lbs lighter!
    Good point about gaining mass before shaping.

    I love working a lagging bodypart, such as my triceps and back, because that is where i see the best results.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. OVer training enough to lower t levels?
    By jrvswim in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM
  2. AlphaStat* Raise T, Lower DHT, Lower ES
    By Flaw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
  3. Supplement schedule of training vs no training days
    By parttimer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM
  4. Training Volume vs Training Frequency!! Read and think!
    By Landmonster in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in