Finally reached a big goal for me!

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
My goal was always to bench 250 pounds. I started quite a few years ago probably benching 125 or so. I was 6'1" probably 165 pounds. Now I'm 6'1" 185 pounds and the other night for the first time I got up 250 on bench 3 times! Now it may not seem like a lot to some people but it's awesome to reach a milestone that seems unreachable at first. Now I'm on my way to 300 :)

That is all :)

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good job!I will put up 405 on the incline one day..........205 x 7 is my personal best so far.I like to set my goals high!

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
congrats man!! :clap2:

I know how you feel .. finally pushed 245 the other day for a PR

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Good job man. It's a battle against yourself, not the guy next to you.

poacher

Awards
  • Established
Great lift partner - **** NOW************ blow the doors off 300. You own 250. 300 is just around the corner

The Batman

The Batman

Awards
Honestly one of the best feelings in the world.

I'm going to be breaking the 3 x BW deadlift in the next 2 months and can't wait!

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would attempt a 315 max on bench, but I'm a panzy and don't want my wrists to hurt like hell for a week afterwards.

My highest is usually somewhere between 265-275 for 4-5 reps. And my wrists still hurt the rest of the day.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would attempt a 315 max on bench, but I'm a panzy and don't want my wrists to hurt like hell for a week afterwards.

My highest is usually somewhere between 265-275 for 4-5 reps. And my wrists still hurt the rest of the day.
I recently started incarnate to hopefully help with joints.Mainly my wrists as well.I also bought some wrist straps from my local sports store today.$10 a piece.Not a pair!Just one!They feel nice and supportive.so hopefully they'll help.

According to a max lift chart,your max is 305,so you might not want to attempt 315 for that reason also!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
My goal was always to bench 250 pounds. I started quite a few years ago probably benching 125 or so. I was 6'1" probably 165 pounds. Now I'm 6'1" 185 pounds and the other night for the first time I got up 250 on bench 3 times! Now it may not seem like a lot to some people but it's awesome to reach a milestone that seems unreachable at first. Now I'm on my way to 300

That is all :)
Congratulations. Its awesome to meet a milestone. 250x3 is when you're starting to move some pretty big weight! Just, do yourself a favor and always cherish those milestones you reach. Back when I was in the swing of things, I got to the point where I was never satisfied with anything--in hindsight, I made great progress, but I wish I enjoyed it at the time.

Great lifts, especially for someone your age! Having said that, 315 isn't THAT heavy to be killing your wrists. I'd definitely suggest performing some exercises to strengthen your wrists and grip, and definitely use those wrist wraps!

Last edited:
goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah my wrists are one of my weakest points. I have to pop them both to relieve pressure after pushing exercises. My right radius and ulna epiphyseal plates were fractured when I was 14. My bench and deadlift are pretty badass, I can deadlift 345 for 2-3 reps, but my max squat is like 285-295. I think it's cause I have a somewhat shorter torso and long legs.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big congrats man! It always feels good to break those. My bench goal for a while was to rep 225 with ease...got it and now im looking at 315, i can hit a it for 3 but id like to be doing 10 reps for 3 sets....thatll be awhile plus i dont focus on bench much anymore.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah my wrists are one of my weakest points. I have to pop them both to relieve pressure after pushing exercises. My right radius and ulna epiphyseal plates were fractured when I was 14.
My wrists (and grip) are actually super weak, too. So, I know where you're coming from. Although you are probably in a situation where your wrist weakness is warranted b/c of the injury when you were 14. I was just born a wuss :D

When I was training seriously, long, long ago, I was actually afraid to go for my max bench or to lift too heavy on bench b/c my wrists did very little to resist the weight from moving around once I got to like 350 or so. So, I never took my reps past that before I stopped.

My bench and deadlift are pretty badass, I can deadlift 345 for 2-3 reps, but my max squat is like 285-295. I think it's cause I have a somewhat shorter torso and long legs.
Yeah, well I have a long torso and short legs and I suck at squats, too :D Great for deadlifts.... about 8 months before I peaked out I started them up and did them for 3 months. Got to 500lbs, but then stopped b/c they fatigued me way too much and I'm a big wuss.

Last edited:
pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used my wrist straps today for the first time and they seemed to help quite a bit.

It's a wonder you even achieved those lifts kwy!I have been busting my ass for a while and I couldn't hit those numbers.I started at 5'8" and 130lbs though.......that shows what I had to work with!

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Yeah my wrists are one of my weakest points. I have to pop them both to relieve pressure after pushing exercises. My right radius and ulna epiphyseal plates were fractured when I was 14. My bench and deadlift are pretty badass, I can deadlift 345 for 2-3 reps, but my max squat is like 285-295. I think it's cause I have a somewhat shorter torso and long legs.
Do more forearms to relieve wrist pain. Here are some examples wrist curls, hammer curls, cross body curls. If you want to bench 315 try to hit 90% of 315, which is about 285 for 3 reps. Some good number to set as goals are squat 2.5 times bodyweight, bench 1.5 times bodyweight, deadlift 2.75 times bodyweight. good luck