Morning or Afternoon?

Do you train in morning, afternoon, or both?

• Morning

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Afternoon

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Both

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to see when most people train, and why? Is there a benifit to either?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I try to train mid-morning/early afternoon.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
After work, 5 pm or so. I'm not a morning person. Plus, after being in an office all day, I'm ready to hit the gym and go nuts.

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I train @5AM after work but I work night shift so thats my afternoon/evening so I voted both.(It really is hard on my sleep schedule though) Im also in town close to the gym which is 15 miles from my home.

Its reported that testosterone is highest in the AM I believe butIf you arent focussed training isnt doing alot of good.So I believe that the best time is when your alert and energetic, whenever in the day that might be.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
After work, 5 pm or so. I'm not a morning person. Plus, after being in an office all day, I'm ready to hit the gym and go nuts.
Just recently I started going in the morning, see to be a little more pumped all day, but it is really hard for me to fall asleep early enough to get a good nights sleep! It's killing me! But I love mornings!

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
on average it takes roughly 3hrs after waking up to fully activate and stimulate your central nervous system.
working out prior to this will reduce your power giving you less of a workout.

however, if you consistently train early AM you can train your bodys CNS to wake-up quicker.

but overall, studies have shown that strength is greater in the afternoon than the morning .

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
on average it takes roughly 3hrs after waking up to fully activate and stimulate your central nervous system.
working out prior to this will reduce your power giving you less of a workout.

however, if you consistently train early AM you can train your bodys CNS to wake-up quicker.

but overall, studies have shown that strength is greater in the afternoon than the morning .

Yea I have seen some studies showing individuals who worked out in the afternoon experienced greater strength gains and furthermore additional lbm gains as well as fat loss. If I recall they attributed it to ramping up individuals metabolisms during a time of day when it begins to slow and thus gives you additional ramped up metabolism duration.

Personally I train in the morning due to convenience and have fine results. IMO the difference in results will be negligible to go out of your way to do one or the other.

Plus where I am at there gym is empty when I train and a bloody zoo in the afternoon/later hours.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
I have notice a little less strength in the mornings

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Afternoons after work, cuz I wake up very early to go to work.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
whenever i get a chance :cool:

currently training around 2-3 hours after breakfast but once i get my job situation squared away it will be whenever i don't work

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I usually train the morning @5AM i find it better to get early and get it done verses waiting to go to the gym in the evening or after work, its too easy to make excuses not to go.

Ohh, and do I need to mention the gym is literally empty that early no problem getting access to the equipment I need to use.

However getting enough rest during the week is the biggest challenge when friday rolls around its hard to find enough energy to go workout.

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
had done 5am workouts for about 3 years and loved being one of only a few in there ... and feeling pumped all day was nice ... I agree that getting to bed in time to get a good night's rest was probably the most difficult part ... I just switched up this routine to cardio at 6:00am and then lifting after work at 6pm

although the gym is a little crowded, it hasn't affected the duration of my workouts ... working out later in the day I have noticed better focus and strength increases ... and by not working out in the mornings I haven't had to deal with sweating while just sitting at my desk

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you both strster and dormant. I enjoy going after work, but just recently started going around 5 A.M. and I feel great and pumped all day, but I cant get more than 6 1/2 to 7 hours sleep and I feel I might hinder my gains!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree with you both strster and dormant. I enjoy going after work, but just recently started going around 5 A.M. and I feel great and pumped all day, but I cant get more than 6 1/2 to 7 hours sleep and I feel I might hinder my gains!
Just try for more.I train in the morning too.I am wide awake by the time I get to the gym.If not,I am after my first warm up.Then I to feel pumped and in an enlightened mood because of this.I build fences and after digging holes,mixing concrete,carrying sh!t etc....Theirs no way I could give it my all after work.I would have to shower and change before I went,and then again before bed.I have heard of many pros getting very little sleep for sometime due to shows,promotions,etc and doing just fine.Ronnie Coleman is one.I believe 5 hrs of sleep at a time sometimes.Your body can/will adapt to just about anything.

philspecv

philspecv

Awards
late mornings to early afternoons is best to me. I try to time everything with my daily nutrition schedule. Also, I feel like I need some fuel from previous meals before I hit up the gym so mornings is even more out of the question for me...

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
late mornings to early afternoons is best to me. I try to time everything with my daily nutrition schedule. Also, I feel like I need some fuel from previous meals before I hit up the gym so mornings is even more out of the question for me...
Thats why I make a shake with oats,milk,whey protien,casein protien,and peanut butter as soon as i wake up.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
I'm with ya pantera, nice shake and shot of no xplode at 5:00 A.M. and I'm ready to go! My pumps and concentration are as good if not better, cuz I'm not watching that girls!:chick:As far as sleep, hearing that kinda makes me feel better! I'm just trying to figure out which is best, I like both morning and night! Seems if I go in the morning I'm kinda swole all day, and way more energy! Also I find that my intake sky rockets if I lift in the morning!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I run in the mornings pre-5am and lift around 3:30pm. best split for me

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm with ya pantera, nice shake and shot of no xplode at 5:00 A.M. and I'm ready to go! My pumps and concentration are as good if not better, cuz I'm not watching that girls!:chick:As far as sleep, hearing that kinda makes me feel better! I'm just trying to figure out which is best, I like both morning and night! Seems if I go in the morning I'm kinda swole all day, and way more energy! Also I find that my intake sky rockets if I lift in the morning!
I like xlevol myself.I definately notice a considerable difference in my appetite when I train in the morning.It goes way up which makes life so much easier for me.