Training with minor injuries

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just finished up a five week superone+ cycle about a week ago. The increased frequency and intensity of my workouts while on has left me with a number of nagging little injuries, and I'm curious as to what would be the best way of dealing with these. I'm in the midst of post-cycle therapy right now, and everything I've read on the subject states to keep the weights up during post-cycle to aid in retaining your gains.

The problem with this scenario is that it seems as long as I keep the weights at on-cycle levels, these various tweaked bodyparts aren't going to have much of a chance to heal. I suspect I have a minor strain of one of my ribcage muscles due to sloppy form during a stiff legged deadlift, and over the course of a couple of weeks it doesn't seem to be getting any better. The odd thing with this is that it doesn't impede my training in any fashion, but tends to give me grief more often during day to day activities. I have a bit of a forearm splint in my right forearm (this one seems to be getting better), and a bit of an inflamed tendon I suspect in my left elbow, which is also seeming to heal up with reduced workout frequency off cycle.

I'd like to take a week or so off of training at some point to let my body recuperate, but right at the moment am concerned with maintaining my gains that I made from the cycle. If I am to give myself a week off of training, how far removed from my last cycle would likely be a safe time to take this time off?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Max,

try training completely differantly to when you were "on"

if you keep trying trying to do the same thing as you WERE doing then you're setting yourself up for either a big injury or the nagging ones you have now will only get worse.

if you don't want to take time off then lighten up a bit and do differant exercises. just have good fun workouts. your joints will love you for it :)

there's plenty of exercises & variations of them to choose from so do the ones that don't hurt, even a little bit.
take some time off if you WANT to rather than because you Have to.

Jag

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Since posting the forearm splint and elbow discomfort are all but gone, but the ribcage injury continues to bother me somewhat. This seems to be a tricky one to heal up, as pretty much every upper body exercise that you can choose is going to somehow involve the area in question. After a few more weeks I think I'm going to try a different style of training coined the ROB method or rest only briefly, as coined by Robert Thoburn. This method of training involves using fairly light weights and very brief rest periods of only 20 seconds or so. It won't lead to much in the way of strength increases, but is supposed to be quite effective in leading to solid visible results.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Max,

good choice.

i did G.V.T. (German Volume Training) for a few months which is sort of similiar and very intense.
injuries started getting better and it's a welcome relief after the heavy stuff.

i've read about the ROB theory but 20 seconds is a little too brief for me. 60 seconds for me is good though. 90 seconds for squats :D

can be extremely painful but it's perfect for training around injuries.

Jag