Chest Training

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    Likely, yes. I use this routine with every client that I train and it works for them also. I know where you are coming from, but I would rather have these guys set their goals higher than lower. Mainly because they will often not quite hit them, but if they were aiming for 300 (in this case) they will fall short at 250 instead of 150.

    Feel me?
    It's still overkill and a waste of money. Even 200 grams of protein a day for a 132lb person is more than needed. 1 to 1 and 1/2 grams per lb of bodyweight is sufficient. I've even made consistent gains on as low as 0.75

    Remember its a rule of thumb NOT a fact. Maintaining a positive nitrogen balance can be acheived without a plethora of protein. A majority of the guys I've competed with do not jack there protein intake up that high for even pre-contest.

    Conversely, it can't hurt you (unless you have kidney problems) eating that much protein. It's just a case of diminishing returns.

    The people who advocate eating this much protein usually work for a sports nutrition company that pushes protein to increase repeat business. The science just isn't there to back it up plain & simple.

    What it will do is cause you to stay on the toilet longer...


  2. Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't excess protein just turn to fat. I have a feeling i'm soon to be bashed on that but that's why i was told in a pt class i took. I'm eating just over 1.25 grams per pound and making solid gains.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by sreed11 View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't excess protein just turn to fat. I have a feeling i'm soon to be bashed on that but that's why i was told in a pt class i took. I'm eating just over 1.25 grams per pound and making solid gains.
    Calories are calories. Too much of any of the macros will be stored on the body as fat. so you are right. Keep in mind though that proteins only have 4 calories per gram, so one would have to eat quite alot of protein in order to have it be surpluss and stored as fat.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by eggplant21 View Post
    Calories are calories. Too much of any of the macros will be stored on the body as fat. so you are right. Keep in mind though that proteins only have 4 calories per gram, so one would have to eat quite alot of protein in order to have it be surpluss and stored as fat.

    touche. Come to think of it my teacher was really just against eating a lot of protein actually said this as sarcasm, "oh yeah athletes need more protein to build more muscle" hinting we dont need more protein than anybody else to build muscle and constantly bashing on buddies in my class that take in a lot of protein.

    What's the deal with fat grams. I hear it's 8 calories per gram then 9 calories per gram. What's the deal, it was originally 9 calories per gram corrrect?

  5. Quote Originally Posted by sreed11 View Post
    touche. Come to think of it my teacher was really just against eating a lot of protein actually said this as sarcasm, "oh yeah athletes need more protein to build more muscle" hinting we dont need more protein than anybody else to build muscle and constantly bashing on buddies in my class that take in a lot of protein.

    What's the deal with fat grams. I hear it's 8 calories per gram then 9 calories per gram. What's the deal, it was originally 9 calories per gram corrrect?
    It's 9 cal/g
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Thixotrope View Post
    It's still overkill and a waste of money. Even 200 grams of protein a day for a 132lb person is more than needed. 1 to 1 and 1/2 grams per lb of bodyweight is sufficient. I've even made consistent gains on as low as 0.75

    Remember its a rule of thumb NOT a fact. Maintaining a positive nitrogen balance can be acheived without a plethora of protein. A majority of the guys I've competed with do not jack there protein intake up that high for even pre-contest.

    Conversely, it can't hurt you (unless you have kidney problems) eating that much protein. It's just a case of diminishing returns.

    The people who advocate eating this much protein usually work for a sports nutrition company that pushes protein to increase repeat business. The science just isn't there to back it up plain & simple.

    What it will do is cause you to stay on the toilet longer...
    Exactly, its a rule of thumb. And something that I have used with great success, along with every single client that is trying to gain muscle mass---they all have success using this method.

    Don't get so anal. If what your using works for you...GREAT. I am more than happy for ya bud. But this is what works for me and tons of other guys that I train so I am giving my opinion.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    Exactly, its a rule of thumb. And something that I have used with great success, along with every single client that is trying to gain muscle mass---they all have success using this method.

    Don't get so anal. If what your using works for you...GREAT. I am more than happy for ya bud. But this is what works for me and tons of other guys that I train so I am giving my opinion.
    There's nothing anal about it. I was only regurgitating facts. I'm certified in diet and nutritional sciences so I'm not just talking out of my ass here. I was just trying to pass along some helpful information that might save you money and toilet paper. If you can get the job done with less and save money...why not? There is a threshold of how much protein a person's body can utilize. It's almost half of what you tout. I'm just sayin'...

  8. Pre-exhaust method.

    Do some flyes before flat bench. Everybody on chest day hurries to do flat bench first...but use this iso/compound combo and it might help a bit

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Thixotrope View Post
    There's nothing anal about it. I was only regurgitating facts. I'm certified in diet and nutritional sciences so I'm not just talking out of my ass here. I was just trying to pass along some helpful information that might save you money and toilet paper. If you can get the job done with less and save money...why not? There is a threshold of how much protein a person's body can utilize. It's almost half of what you tout. I'm just sayin'...
    I am a certified nutritionist also. I know the "book facts" just like you do. But there is also another story...real world effectiveness. I am just saying that from myself, and people I have worked with --- when I get them to up their protein up into the range I am talking about, 100% of the time the results are very noticeable.

    There is a lot of info in the books that is bullsh!t. Just read some FDA stuff. I am taking nothing away from you or what you know. Just telling you what has proven itself time and time again for me and many others.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    I am a certified nutritionist also. I know the "book facts" just like you do. But there is also another story...real world effectiveness. I am just saying that from myself, and people I have worked with --- when I get them to up their protein up into the range I am talking about, 100% of the time the results are very noticeable.

    There is a lot of info in the books that is bullsh!t. Just read some FDA stuff. I am taking nothing away from you or what you know. Just telling you what has proven itself time and time again for me and many others.

    I definitely agree on the fact that there's a difference between book facts and the real world. Many times on a test i'll put something i dont believe necessarily just because the teacher wants it.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    I am a certified nutritionist also. I know the "book facts" just like you do. But there is also another story...real world effectiveness. I am just saying that from myself, and people I have worked with --- when I get them to up their protein up into the range I am talking about, 100% of the time the results are very noticeable.

    There is a lot of info in the books that is bullsh!t. Just read some FDA stuff. I am taking nothing away from you or what you know. Just telling you what has proven itself time and time again for me and many others.

    Stalemate.

    Let's just agree to slightly disagree.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
  2. over-training chest?
    By lennoxchi in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
  3. Chest training
    By jblaze22 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
  4. What's wrong with training chest and back together?!
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 05:51 AM
  5. 12 days without training chest and tri's
    By WiNgS in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Log in
Log in