Gironda dips

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Hello all. Ive been doing incline DB presses for chest (i do fullbody 3x a week), and have been putting on some nice size, but im finally trying to "shape" my chest a little more.

I did these weighted Gironda dips yesterday. Pretty fun, and felt it pretty good this morning when i woke up. Anyone else do these?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gironda dips are King. However, I don't think you're supposed to lock out your elbows upon extension; I believe he also prescribes, if your primary goal is 'width' to the chest, to extend the rep deeper, and not bring it to full completion.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Those dips are OK. Now....the Gironda neck press is FTW.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
When doing 'chest' dips, I have a similar setup, but I don't put my feet straight out like the vid... I keep them in front about 45 deg past vertical. The point of the legs going forward is to alter your center of gravity causing you to take more of a 'decline press' motion instead of the standard tricep dip.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
When doing 'chest' dips, I have a similar setup, but I don't put my feet straight out like the vid... I keep them in front about 45 deg past vertical. The point of the legs going forward is to alter your center of gravity causing you to take more of a 'decline press' motion instead of the standard tricep dip.
yep...that is exactly what i do. I try and put my feet about 45degrees in front of me. I think as long as you "curve" your back and pin your chin on your chest, you will see that those 2 things help create the angle that will hit your chest. I didnt lock out like the fella on the video did...

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gironda curls are kick ass!You do standing bb curls leaning back a little at the start of the movement.As you are raising the bar you begin to lean forward a little to keep constant tension on the bi's.Then obvisouly start to lean back again as you lower the weight again.It's the opposite of your sorry excuse of cheat curls you see everyday.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah there the best. I have his book . In order for them to be effective they need to be 32-33 inches apart.

the guys form is a lil off. His feet are too far out. You tuck your chin , bring feet about parrell with head, and point your elbows out.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Yeah there the best. I have his book . In order for them to be effective they need to be 32-33 inches apart.

the guys form is a lil off. His feet are too far out. You tuck your chin , bring feet about parrell with head, and point your elbows out.
i thought his form was decent. What are the points you should of think of when doing a Gironda dip?

1) wide grip
2) elbows flared
3) tuck chin
4) bring feet at roughly 45degrees in front of you

* Im not sure what you mean by "bringing the feet parallel with head" Would this be pretty close to correct form (see vid below)

maybe a vid could explain....im kinda dumb. Im a visual learner

thanks
msucurt

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone tried these with their knuckles pointing inward ? I tried it last night and it caused excessive stress on my shoulders.

I used a very wide grip V bar, had my chin tucked in and my feet out. It is hard to keep from swaying back and forth with your feet pointed outward.

This technique helps hit the outer bells vs. what I've been doing all along which seems to hit the inner lower.

Are you supposed to be weaker on these types of dips vs. the regular ones ?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
bump.

Am I doing gironda dips right even if my hands are not inverted ?

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
bump.

Am I doing gironda dips right even if my hands are not inverted ?
From what i have been reading on the gironda dips, the grip isnt really that big of a factor (i could be wrong though). The big thing is to make sure u go slow and deep, but not so deep you hurt your shoulders.

I did them for the first time wednesday during my fullbody, and i just strapped on a 25lb and did 3sets x 8, just to get the technique and feel. That is what i would concentrate on.

With the feet, im not going to put my feet too far in front of me, but rather go about 20degrees past vertical, not the 45degrees i did on wednesday. I just want to make sure i am working my chest vs. triceps.

Sounds like you are doing fine Reaper

anybody else?

thanks
msucurt

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I should tie some type of rubber stretch cord to my feet to help them be pulled forward when I dip.

Regular dips I can slap on tons of weight and do it.

The really wide dips I can barely dip my own bodyweight.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I should tie some type of rubber stretch cord to my feet to help them be pulled forward when I dip.

Regular dips I can slap on tons of weight and do it.

The really wide dips I can barely dip my own bodyweight.
I dont think you need to do that reaper. Just try to imagine yourself doing a lower ab exericse where you pull your legs up to a horizontal position. Now, dont do it that far, but just keep your legs straight and basically pull your feet until they are basically right under your nose i would think

hope this helps. I think in the vid above (the 2nd), the guy has the idea and form pretty decent, but he is locking out at the top which im not gonna do because i wanna keep the stress on my chest.

hope that helps

I will try and find other vids of this too and post them

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
You can also do a similar move, but instead of extending your legs, simply bring your knees to your chest. It rocks. :)

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
You can also do a similar move, but instead of extending your legs, simply bring your knees to your chest. It rocks. :)

here are some misc pics i found that show it fairly well...hope this helps

A post i copied from another forum....they were discussing the gironda dip and this fella had some good points

Your welcome.

One thing, I don't worry about are special apparatus items like V-Bars and whatnot, simply because I work out at different gyms in San Diego and occasionally in Tijuana. Whatever they have I use. Hell, some of the gyms in TJ don't even have a bar-dip unit! So if you're homeless, and I know some of you homeless are out there, cause I've seen you around the gyms, I wouldn't worry about esoteric equipment.

I let the unorthodox and extreme Scott-grip do the rest. Oh, and did I say Scott-grip? What I should have said was "Scott-style."

And that would be with the legs pushed out in front of the body and held that way all when going from top to bottom and back again with the excercise. And I make sure my upper body, leading with my head, is, in an exaggerated sense, trying to touch my legs.

I keep my legs straight, not bent. Note: it's alot easier to get the legs kicked out with a "knuckle in grip" than it would with the knuckle out grip. And this is because you can flare those elbows out to the side bigtime.

I don't think you can get that "flare" with the old school grip. Do you think so? Heck, you don't even have to leave the chair your now sitting in to find out.

Just extend your hands out in front of you. With a closed fist, and the palms down, stick your arms straight out till both fists touch, side to side.

And then pull them back slowyly like you're rowing a boat. Your hands will now be at your side, and your index fingers touching the sides of your hip. Look down to where your elbows are. See how flared out they are? That's how it is with a Scott-dip. Flare City.

That boring and idiotic excercise was concocted on behalf of all of those who have never done or seen a Scott-dip performed before.

I learned this style of dip from a Scott video I bought a while back ago.

It was a tough excercise to comprehend doing--freaky weird for me to fathom at first, but then I caught on after getting over my initial paranoia.

BTW, for the newbies out there, and here we go again with the "number thing," I'll tell you that my output with the traditional, old school knuckles out grip was in the neighborhood of 25 reps or so. So if you're doing the same amount as me, then you'll know what to expect when you cross over to the "other side."

BTW, in doing the old school dip, it was done without making a concerted effort to keep my legs "way out" in front of my body. Which makes it way harder to do the

Tonite, i am going to try with my knuckles inside so i can flar my elbows more.....hopefully i can do this with just bodyweight and it doesnt hurt my wrists too much...

hope this helps some

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to try these. So the Gironda dips are more effective for incorporating the chest then slanting your body forward?

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll have to try these. So the Gironda dips are more effective for incorporating the chest then slanting your body forward?
Yes they are!!!!!!!!I just tried them today for the first time and loved them!I had given up on dips for chest a long time ago.I just couldn't get the feeling in my chest going.I did the leaning forward,tucking in your chin,even slightly swinging the legs back to lean a little more and finally said screw it!I'm wasting time and energy with these damn things I just can't get down.Gironda dips(and curls)are awesome though.I do have one question.I was feeling my right chest working harder then the left.I'm very good at benches keeping everything even and with bb's on other exrcises.But my right pec was being strained more so than the left.I'll figure it out on my own.Just looking to see if anyone will be like I had this same problem and realised I was__________________________.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes they are!!!!!!!!I just tried them today for the first time and loved them!I had given up on dips for chest a long time ago.I just couldn't get the feeling in my chest going.I did the leaning forward,tucking in your chin,even slightly swinging the legs back to lean a little more and finally said screw it!I'm wasting time and energy with these damn things I just can't get down.Gironda dips(and curls)are awesome though.I do have one question.I was feeling my right chest working harder then the left.I'm very good at benches keeping everything even and with bb's on other exrcises.But my right pec was being strained more so than the left.I'll figure it out on my own.Just looking to see if anyone will be like I had this same problem and realised I was__________________________.
I will definitely have to try the Gironda Dips. I use Slanted Dips for lower chest and I dip pretty damn low. I actually do feel a really good pump in my chest when i slant dip. I usually strap on up to 90lbs and I know my tri's couldn't handle that (I'm already 215lbs), so it has to be a large sum of that stress being distributed and assisted by my chest, but I'm always open to trying new and potentially more effective ways to stimulate the muscles.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
curt-

Do you have anymore of those illustrations for other exercises by Gironda ? I think his material is very original. I've been utilitzing the wide grip neck press for quite sometime now.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
curt-

Do you have anymore of those illustrations for other exercises by Gironda ? I think his material is very original. I've been utilitzing the wide grip neck press for quite sometime now.
dang reaper...the other day i found a awesome website about gironda and has several of his illustrations. I will try and locate it again and post the illustrations. You would be suprised at how many normal exercises you do on a regular basis were derived by Gironda....pretty cool dude i imagine.

What is wide grip neck presses btw?

thanks

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I've always emphasized in proper training even more so vs. diet/supplements.

Probably because my training sucked so much in the past is why I try to always get a leg up on it.

The wide grip neck presses are when you do any type of bench press (flat, incline, decline) you lower the bar to the base of your neck instead of the common base of your lower pecs. I also have my hands so my pointer fingers are just slightly outside those rings on the bar.

You won't be able to lift as much and it feels awkward at first but it isolates the pecs better.

I fell victim to keeping my hands too narrow and lowering to the bottom of my pecs. That hit the triceps too much and not enough chest.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to develop a bit more my lower pec. The gironda dips will probably help even more. Here's a pic of me that I had someone take this past weekend.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
looking good....as i am also trying to develop my chest more....thus, i am trying the gironda dips. I think today im gonna strap on a 35lb and do 3sets x 8.....last week i did a 25lb to just get the feel of it.

looks like you're lower pecs are fine....lol....no homo...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
please post that link of other gironda exercises if you find it. Thanks.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
please post that link of other gironda exercises if you find it. Thanks.
reaper is that you in your pic? I could be wrong but I thought you said you were 14 or 15% bf. If that's you you're shredded.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
That pic is one that I took this past weekend. I was completely carb depleted and the lowest I've ever been. My BF meter isn't working, but my guess is that I'm around 9-10% ?

I was at 12% earlier then I dropped my carbs even lower the past week and threw in more cardio. I have been extremely sluggish/lethargic as of lately.

I need to get a new scale/BF reader.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
That pic is one that I took this past weekend. I was completely carb depleted and the lowest I've ever been. My BF meter isn't working, but my guess is that I'm around 9-10% ?

I was at 12% earlier then I dropped my carbs even lower the past week and threw in more cardio. I have been extremely sluggish/lethargic as of lately.

I need to get a new scale/BF reader.
when u get a new BF caliper....let me know what you get and if you think it is very accurate.....ive been looking to buy one, but dont wanna waste money on a bunk one...

im looking for the link w/the gironda stuff....it may be awhile, but i will post it

thanks

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to develop a bit more my lower pec. The gironda dips will probably help even more. Here's a pic of me that I had someone take this past weekend.

I think you need more upper chest than lower myself.I would do exactly what I'm doing right now.Inc bench,gironda dips,and then some flyes or cross overs if you fell the need.I'll do flat every now and then to maintain,but rarely.I did the flat bench for years at first.I honestly thought your upper chest just took longer to develop,like it built from the bottom up......:lol:

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
curt-

Here you go reaper....i found it.....hope this helps ya

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
where can i get gironda's e-book ? Does it cost money ?

I started utilizing his techniques back in Dec '07 from the little that I read about. I'd pay for an e-book if I had to for the whole thing.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
oh yea baby!...Just to report. I did 2 sets of gironda dips yesterday with a 35lbs plate and im a little sore on the outsides of my pecs. Sweet....Not that this means anything, but i do know i am using my pecs and not my tri's at least.....

I am going to continue using these for a complete month and drop any pressing mvts, just to see what happens.

Remember though, i am doing fullbody, so i will be doing these 3x week. I am going to try and alter my rep range from day to day... (mon = 8 reps.....wed = 12 reps......fri = 8 reps)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh yea baby!...Just to report. I did 2 sets of gironda dips yesterday with a 35lbs plate and im a little sore on the outsides of my pecs. Sweet....Not that this means anything, but i do know i am using my pecs and not my tri's at least.....

I am going to continue using these for a complete month and drop any pressing mvts, just to see what happens.

Remember though, i am doing fullbody, so i will be doing these 3x week. I am going to try and alter my rep range from day to day... (mon = 8 reps.....wed = 12 reps......fri = 8 reps)
Are you doing them knuckles in or knuckles out? I may try them tonight.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
How does doing the gironda dips compare to doing decline ? I feel like decline hits still the center of my lower pec.

The only thing that I have found to hit that lower outer pec is gironda dips/decline cable crossovers.

I'm not a huge fan of cable crossovers. They yank my shoulder and they are a pretty wimpy exercise overall.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Are you doing them knuckles in or knuckles out? I may try them tonight.
I am currently doing them knuckles out. I am using a regular tricep dip station. I tried to put my knuckles in , but im telling ya, you better have some EXTREMELY STRONG wrists to be able to perform this grip IMO. Wow, it hurt. But im gonna keep trying a few reps every workout to see if i can get my wrists in shape.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
How does doing the gironda dips compare to doing decline ? I feel like decline hits still the center of my lower pec.

The only thing that I have found to hit that lower outer pec is gironda dips/decline cable crossovers.

I'm not a huge fan of cable crossovers. They yank my shoulder and they are a pretty wimpy exercise overall.
I dont know how they compare, but i have done both and i have NEVER been sore with declines. I was sore today after doing 35lb weighted Gironda dips. Im going to do 45lb gironda dips wednesday for 3 sets of 6reps and see whats up..

so far, i finally found something that hits my "outer, lower" pecs it seems

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am currently doing them knuckles out. I am using a regular tricep dip station. I tried to put my knuckles in , but im telling ya, you better have some EXTREMELY STRONG wrists to be able to perform this grip IMO. Wow, it hurt. But im gonna keep trying a few reps every workout to see if i can get my wrists in shape.
I hear ya. Our dip bar is oddly wide, so maybe I'll be able to pull it off knuckles in. I'll try both, thanks.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya. Our dip bar is oddly wide, so maybe I'll be able to pull it off knuckles in. I'll try both, thanks.
Beware man...they are a killer that way. I would just do the knuckles out first, get the feel of it....then progress to knuckles in. I read somewhere that the grip doesnt have that much of an impact on it. It just allows you to flare your elbows really wide, thus incorporating your chest more. When i did knuckles in, i was able to flare my elbows out just fine honestly.

Just sayin'

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beware man...they are a killer that way. I would just do the knuckles out first, get the feel of it....then progress to knuckles in. I read somewhere that the grip doesnt have that much of an impact on it. It just allows you to flare your elbows really wide, thus incorporating your chest more. When i did knuckles in, i was able to flare my elbows out just fine honestly.

Just sayin'
Alright, sounds good.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been implementing the Gironda Dips. I noticed a SEVERE decrease in strength on the wide hammer presses after I do the Gironda's, so I'm assuming the Gironda Dips are taxing the region their intended to.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I've been implementing the Gironda Dips. I noticed a SEVERE decrease in strength on the wide hammer presses after I do the Gironda's, so I'm assuming the Gironda Dips are taxing the region their intended to.
good to hear actually