mid-back excercises

  1. Registered User
    Frotsmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12
    Answers
    0

    mid-back excercises


    hey working on my back, its pretty good except for the middle. i normally do reverse flies on that machine that your sitting on and you do flies sitting up, and i do bent over rows (which, btw, do you do them completely bent over or only partially?) are there any other excercises that i can do to bring this up to shape?

    shrugs-4x4,275. warm up-1x8 135, 1x6 225
    wide pull ups-5X6
    Lateral pulldowns- 4X6
    lower back thing-4X6
    reverse flies-4x6
    bent over rows-4x8

  2. Registered User
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Frotsmud View Post
    i normally do reverse flies on that machine that your sitting on and you do flies sitting up,

    (which, btw, do you do them completely bent over or only partially?)

    that fly machine is probly only working your rear delts, save that for shoulder day.

    (bent over rows)I usually stand about 45 degree angle, something like that, not 90. As long as you feel it in your back more than your arms your doin it right.

    I find seated rows to target thickness in my middle back the best. Close grip. And make sure to get a full stretch, lessn up the weight if you have to. I see guys bottom pin that machine then hug the cable to their chest only moving the bar a few inches or half a foot. I get as much of a stretch as possible, its definitly helped me over the keeping your back stiff version.
  3. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Answers
    0


    wide grip seated row
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    virileman44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21
    Answers
    0


    some deadlifts wouldn't hurt...
  5. Registered User
    greenbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    19
    Answers
    0


    Deadlifts.
    period.
  6. Registered User
    Joshua86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    408
    Answers
    0


    For back thickness, try heavy rowing movements, such as barbell rows, t-bar rows, cable rows, dumbbell rows, ect.. Also, middle back thickness comes from having wide, sweeping lats, so don't forget to train those lat muscles hard from top to bottom. For the top lats, exercises such as wide-grip pull-ups and wide-grip pulldowns are great. For the lower lats, narrowing your grip tends to recruit more fibers from the lower areas of your lats. Exercises such as narrow-grip pull-ups, narrow-grip pulldowns (such as v-bar pulldowns), and one-armed rows all work great for hitting those lower lats hard. Just goes to show how important grip variations can help you achieve total muscle development.
  7. Registered User
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Answers
    0


    DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT . Widegrip row and BB rows for more isolation!


    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    For back thickness, try heavy rowing movements, such as barbell rows, t-bar rows, cable rows, dumbbell rows, ect.. Also, middle back thickness comes from having wide, sweeping lats, so don't forget to train those lat muscles hard from top to bottom. For the top lats, exercises such as wide-grip pull-ups and wide-grip pulldowns are great. For the lower lats, narrowing your grip tends to recruit more fibers from the lower areas of your lats. Exercises such as narrow-grip pull-ups, narrow-grip pulldowns (such as v-bar pulldowns), and one-armed rows all work great for hitting those lower lats hard. Just goes to show how important grip variations can help you achieve total muscle development.
    ....throw in scalpuar stretches between sets to help widen that back. you need a middle back before you can build on it!
  8. Registered User
    Joshua86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    408
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT...DEADLIFT . Widegrip row and BB rows for more isolation!




    ....throw in scalpuar stretches between sets to help widen that back. you need a middle back before you can build on it!
    Good stuff! Stretching and flexing between sets brings on numerous benefits to the muscles being worked!

    Check out this thread. I talk a lot about the benefits of stretching and flexing between sets:

    Flexing enhances physique?
  9. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Answers
    0


    You need to deadlift. It will change your back completely in about 6 months.


    As far as bent rows i either do Pendlay rows, or i do them where i touch the floor on each rep and am pretty close to parallel with the floor.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Help with Compound Excercises
    By frostjason in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 11:27 PM
  2. calve excercises
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
  3. Best Excercises?
    By Timmo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
  4. Best excercises for lats
    By btjac1 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 11:21 AM
  5. Best workout excercises
    By ItsHectic in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in