Sldl Vs. Rdl

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys I have watched what seems like a thousand, and one vidoes on youtube. I dont understand the difference in the stiff leg deadlift, and the Romanian deadlift. They both look exactly the same to me. Back flat, knees slightly bent, hips, and kinda back, bar close to the body. The only difference I can find is some people on RDL's dont let the bar touch the ground, just to about mid shin. What is the differences in this two exercises. Thank you for any response. MArk

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
RDL is supposed to keep the bar in contact with your legs. As where the SLDL, it just needs to stay close for the sake of form. Keeping it touching your legs as it goes up and down is supposed to help keep your hips back further and take stress off of your lower back.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I am definately curious as well. Otherwise I reckon I'll just stick to SLDL.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
To my knowledge,sldl are done with minimal bending of the knees,not bending any further when bringing the weight down. Imo it focuses on a deep stretching of the hams, and hitting the lower back better. Whereas when doing rdl you bend the knees when you bring the weight down more almost as if you were doing a squat thus it (imo) hits more legs. I guess it all comes down to how you were taught in ur gym, everyone has their own variation but see what works best for you.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the post. I have always done sldl routines. When I get done with a meet, I normally do a 10 week sldl routine. Then go back to pulling conventional, and my dead lift has always went up. Mark