Couple exercises to try

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
1. Bulgarian split squats:

This little goodie so soooooo underated and underused, my legs are making some dramatic changes from these in size and strength, these will also help with imbalances and increase groin and hip flexibility. Do them like i do with your front foot elevated on a step and your back foot on a bench, start with bodyweight to get the balance then when you are banging out 15 reps or so do it with dumbbells, then a barbell on your back. When you return to back squats you will be hitting ass to grass no problem, thank me later ;)

2. Snatch grip deadlifts:

The whole idea here is range of motion, longer range of motion=more time under tension=more muscle being torn down. You perform this like a regular deadlift just with your hands on the outer rings of the bar, or collar to collar if you can manage. To make it harder perform this on a platform. This is brutal but awesome for full body growth.

3.One-arm barbell preacher curls:

Start light on these with a fixed barbell, straight bar no cambered on this one. You have to perform these slow and really squeeze the bar to keep it straight, this is a neat one to try and really helps grip strength, when you go back to two arm or dumbbell preachers you'll have easily a 10-15lb increase in the weight you use.

4. One arm-barbell rows:

I've dinked around with these a bit and like them, i'll be doing them steady soon enough, you perform these like a one-arm row just with a barbel. Like above start with a fixed barbell and if you can handle it work your way up to an olympic bar or short straight bar. Your grip builds nicely and you have to perform these slower, these are painful :)

5. Decline dumbbell pullovers:

Once again range of motion is key on this one, i'll go to the max decline and use two dumbbells to make it uni-lateral, keep your elbows locked at anywhere from a 45-90 degree angle and concentrate on trying to pull from the elbow. These thrash your lats, triceps and rear-delts, great for pre-exhausting your lats if you have a hard time feeling them work.

I'll try to think of some more just some ones i thought you guys would like, try em and let me know what you think, they all gave me good gains.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Snatch Grip Deadlifts are undoubtedly the toughest lift I use in my training. If I could only do one lift though I think that would be it. It really does work your entire body and with a 4 inch platform it is insane. Nice list Chaps I hope you don't mind me adding a couple:

Lumberjack Squats: Set up a barbell in a corner like you would for t-bar rows, but lift the weight up to your upper chest and preform squats. It is a great way to learn the proper mechanics of a squat and helps keep weight off your spine.

Fat Man Pull Ups- This is the only thing I ever use a smith machine for, fix the bar so it about 3.5 feet of the ground. Lay on your back with your chest directly under the bar. Reach up and grab the bar with either an underhand or overhand grip and pull yourself up to the bar. Keep your body stiff and rigid and try to hold your self at the peak contraction for a couple seconds. Great lift to superset with others for back growth.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Nice! Ya i'm tired of people trying to isolate so much, fat is you can't isolate a muscle, everyone should be doing the tough multi-joint movements. The hormonal response from cleans, snatches, push-presses, deadlifts, squats will get you growing in a hurry.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I know this really isn't an exercise, but a little more advice while we are talking about compound movements. To incorporate Olympic Lifts into your training you should always do them first in your session because they require the most from your muscles and nervous system. When doing more the one OL in a sessions try to keep them from most demanding to least, this little sentence may help you remember:

My Snatch is Clean you Jerk

I had to share that bit of wisdom with everybody lol

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Good thread! I'll keep these in mind once I've got my joints back to 100%

MB