post workout cardio, how much do you do when cutting?

when cutting, how much post workout cardio do you do?

• Total voters
delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
when you're leaning up, how much cardio do you do post workout?

AFJON

AFJON

Awards
I usually do 30-45 minutes after workouts and 40-60 minutes on off days.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
Looks like not a lot of fans of HIIT training weighing in yet... I just go with 15 minutes of HIIT, a little lighter than my cardio only days, which I'll do a good 25 min or so. I'm just starting a cut this week with this protocol.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
It depends on a lot of different variables. If I am still taking in appreciable amount of carbs and training on a 4-2 split than its 45 minutes of empty stomach cardio for 45 minutes twice a week along with 2 20 minuet HIIT sessions following smaller muscle group days.

Currently now that I am doing a CKD and need to be careful its 1 45 minute empty stomach session after the carb up, then I either jump rope in between sets on the next two lifting days (so effectively HIIT) or I just do 20 minutes of 65% max hr after. Then the two days after that I do 30 minuet emtpy stomach.

I can't vote for anything because its to narrow to cover everything I like to employ. IMO its all about variation when employing cardio into a fat loss regimen.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Looks like not a lot of fans of HIIT training weighing in yet... I just go with 15 minutes of HIIT, a little lighter than my cardio only days, which I'll do a good 25 min or so. I'm just starting a cut this week with this protocol.
I go with ten minutes right now but I'm sweating pretty good at the end.Not out of breath too bad though.No worse than after heavy intense sq's or deads anyways.I will slowly bump this up but I still haven't been consistent with three days a week of ten minutes yet.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been sticking with 30 minutes post workout, and 1 hour on off days

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
alot after gym 30min
then again at around 5;30pm another 45min

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
~25 min 2x week after a high volume session

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
I currently do 45-50 minutes on the treadmill of fast walking on moderate incline 4-5 times a week, first thing in the morning. This is separate from my RT training, however.

I just started to add in some HIIT after workouts and the end of my walking.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ya'll think you got it bad?I just upped my 10 minutes to 10.5 minutes!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
HAHA. Yea I know upping cardio blows for the first few weeks. 2day I was just listening to my music watching TV then looked down and saw I was at 24 min so I think it's time to bump.
I dread my ten minutes.Today was the same way though,I got close to ten and wanted to keep going so I just went another half a minute.I'm upping it slowly this time instead of just jumping right into 30 minutes or whatever.I'm also doing much higher intensity as opposed to the fast walk so many do.I don't see how that can do a single thing for me when I build fences and still have more fat then I want.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dread my ten minutes.Today was the same way though,I got close to ten and wanted to keep going so I just went another half a minute.I'm upping it slowly this time instead of just jumping right into 30 minutes or whatever.I'm also doing much higher intensity as opposed to the fast walk so many do.I don't see how that can do a single thing for me when I build fences and still have more fat then I want.
I walk and I am the most unmotivated person in the world when it comes to running. In high school I was doing high intesity cardio and I was real lean but lost a good amount of LBM. Only plus from it was I could run around a 5min mile.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I walk and I am the most unmotivated person in the world when it comes to running. In high school I was doing high intesity cardio and I was real lean but lost a good amount of LBM. Only plus from it was I could run around a 5min mile.
I just use a bike.Thats why I don't do a whole lot cause I don't want to loose muscle and also why I'm upping it slowly.I'm kind of following the HIIT cardio but with less time.I believe they suggest 18 minutes.I haven't increased intensity with each session either.I'll be sweating pretty good at the end of the 10 minutes though.I'll just up it when I feel like I'm not making any progress.Same with the way I'm eating.It will be less only when I feel I have stalled.I'm not forcing anything this time.I tried that once and lost 13lbs in 13 days with 30 minutes of low intensity cardio and much less carbs than usual.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting question. Personally, I've NEVER done post-resistance training cardio. And when cutting, I DON'T do any more cardio than I would when bulking! Stick to 5-6 days a week of 1 x 20-30 minutes cardio (at least 3 HIIT sessions; and the rest (usually 30 min MAX) whatever I feel like doing on that day, but generally at an intensity always higher than 80% est. HRmax) pretty much all year round. Cardio is pretty overrated, since diet and resistance training can do most of the cutting for you!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Interesting question. Personally, I've NEVER done post-resistance training cardio. And when cutting, I DON'T do any more cardio than I would when bulking! Stick to 5-6 days a week of 1 x 20-30 minutes cardio (at least 3 HIIT sessions; and the rest (usually 30 min MAX) whatever I feel like doing on that day, but generally at an intensity always higher than 80% est. HRmax) pretty much all year round. Cardio is pretty overrated, since diet and resistance training can do most of the cutting for you!
But it's done wonders for my BP.I love it that so many do the high intensity cardio.I build fences and I don't see what a moderate pace for 30 minutes will do when I basically do that and more sometimes for 30-60 hrs a week.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
30 mins. Treadmill on the max incline. Alternating speeds in the 3 mph range (slow down by 1 mph - alternate every minute).

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
It depends on my conditioning and how far out..... I get up to 2 hours of cardio aday. 1 hour of this after weights......

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
i usually do 5-10 min of cardio before workout just to get the blood flowing and go in the gym pumped up and ready to go with a little sweat on my back. afterwards i do around 20-25 minutes of running. usually 3 miles straight so averaging a good pace. i like to get the job done quickly because i get bored when it takes over 40 minutes

Phillymuscle

Awards
I used to do 30 minutes of fast walking on the tredmill, but recently i have been Sprinting a mile followed by fast walking a half mile and have been seeing better results.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cardio. I just find it too boring.....BUT I have to do it now. I'm trying to get to single figure bodyfat in 4 months. Currently around 20% but once i put my mind into something i am very disciplined so i'm hoping to get some nice abs this year.

The only time i can do cardio is after my weights which is 4 days a week. Nutrition for weights is pretty easy for me but what about when cutting and doing cardio after weights?

Can anyone educate me a little in this area?

Jag

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to change my vote. Back april when I originally posted i was going cardio every session. During my latest cut (late august-current) I have yet to do any cardio. Results are about the same.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
30 min in the morning, 30 min post workout. This way I attack fat stores the majority of the time. I like to do a 10% incline at 3.5-4mph for 3 min than 1 min at 6.5mph at 10% incline. I tend to burn alot of calories this way and have noticed a better effect in cutting esp. plus its not as boring as a simple jogging pace on a flat incline.

iron matt

Awards
I do 30min after lifting 3 times a week. Usually run at 6-7mph on the treadmill or use the stair stepper. Then on sat/sun I go for a long run around 5 miles. It depends on the body type, personally I have never had any problems loosing weight.

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
i wait 4-6 hours before doing my cardio after weight lifting sessions.

Sergiu

Awards
I don't think you should do more than 20 minutes of sprints. But again, cardio is boring me to death so unless I'd be glued to the machine or the Victoria's Secret models would promise me some naughty things for doing more cardio, I wouldn't be able to stay on the cardio machine more than 20 mins.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
depends on how drastic the bodyfat I want melted off.

for health 30 minutes 3 x's a week.

for pre-contest I did 45 minutes 6 days a week after weights.

if I have trouble putting on weight if thats my goal I reduce cardio.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I usually don't do more than 20 minutes, but I also do about an hour on off-days.

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
Personally I like to do 30 to 60 minutes of LISS (5.5 Incline, 3.5-3.8 speed for around 130bpm) walking after weights. On off days I either do that, or hit the bike or something a little more "fun."

I use "fun" loosely. I enjoy a good walk, but I hate cardio.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I stopped training for about 1 year and gained quite a bit of abdominal fat....aka Belly Fat! Been doing 30-40 mins of running on the treadmill for several days, then I switch to the stair stepper for the next few days.

My question is how long before I would notice results and will cardio get rid of belly fat that I never had? I eat pretty clean but I have never cut my calories and I hate the feeling of being hungry.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
OP- This is just my opinion but I don't really see it as necessary to do cardio postworkout while dropping bodyfat. Depending on how you tolerate it you can drop cardio completely and keep losing weight by just manipulating your diet.

If you don't like that option then I would start w/ 30 minutes of low intensity cardio 3x per week and slowly ramp up from there. If you lift first thing in the morning start w/ 20 minutes postworkout or opt for cardio just on your off days.

I stopped training for about 1 year and gained quite a bit of abdominal fat....aka Belly Fat! Been doing 30-40 mins of running on the treadmill for several days, then I switch to the stair stepper for the next few days.

My question is how long before I would notice results and will cardio get rid of belly fat that I never had? I eat pretty clean but I have never cut my calories and I hate the feeling of being hungry.
That completely depends on how your diet looks and what other type of training you do. I actually prefer shorter bursts like HIIT if you want to actually run to lose weight. Running hours upon hours isn't necessarily going to burn up fat. It could just as easily burn muscle off too. There are plenty of people who run marathons and still carry fairly high body fat.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
OP- This is just my opinion but I don't really see it as necessary to do cardio postworkout while dropping bodyfat. Depending on how you tolerate it you can drop cardio completely and keep losing weight by just manipulating your diet.

If you don't like that option then I would start w/ 30 minutes of low intensity cardio 3x per week and slowly ramp up from there. If you lift first thing in the morning start w/ 20 minutes postworkout or opt for cardio just on your off days.

That completely depends on how your diet looks and what other type of training you do. I actually prefer shorter bursts like HIIT if you want to actually run to lose weight. Running hours upon hours isn't necessarily going to burn up fat. It could just as easily burn muscle off too. There are plenty of people who run marathons and still carry fairly high body fat.
Agreed, HIIT is the only cardio I'll do, saves me a lot of time and it seems to be effective.