John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I seem to get more out of parallel to the floor , than like a 70 degree angel, like Dorian Yates used to do them ...I feel it hits my lower lats better

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I seem to get more out of parallel to the floor , than like a 70 degree angel, like Dorian Yates used to do them ...I feel it hits my lower lats better
Yup, and I find a more narrow grip hits the lats better. I like to alternate overhand grip, and underhand grip.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Yup, and I find a more narrow grip hits the lats better. I like to alternate overhand grip, and underhand grip.
Not that I have huge lats but that's what I do too.:cheers:

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usualy use the "rowing" movement when i do my rows. :lol: All kidding aside i do the same as well. Keep my arms just wide enough and contract i also use the path that gives me the best range of motion and most contraction which is usualy parallel or so.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I usualy use the "rowing" movement when i do my rows. :lol: All kidding aside i do the same as well. Keep my arms just wide enough and contract i also use the path that gives me the best range of motion and most contraction which is usualy parallel or so.
Just do pronated pullups. 3sets of 8.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I keep around a 45-50 degree angle and alternate grips week to week. I prefer to do them underhand because I seem to feel more "pull" from my lats, but recently I've been doing my last set or two with a thumbless overhand grip and seem to be feeling it quite a bit more the next day.

jdev

Awards
  • Established
reverse relatively wide grip , back parallel to floor

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder width, over-hand grip. Underhand seems to hit my bis too much.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder width, over-hand grip. Underhand seems to hit my bis too much.
Try lessening the weight. Usually when the biceps come into play, they are trying to help the back out because the back can't complete the lift by itself. This is assuming you have good form.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
I guess I'm a Dorian Yates proponent. Almost parallel never did much for me. I like 65-75 degree from horizontal best. I also switch from underhand and overhand but underhand puts too much stress on my bi's so I usually go lighter and pump out a few extra reps. For overhands, I get a 28-30" grip and pull the bar straight into my belly button.

That's my idea of fun.

Thixotrope

Thixotrope

Awards
Try lessening the weight. Usually when the biceps come into play, they are trying to help the back out because the back can't complete the lift by itself. This is assuming you have good form.

If their back is way stronger than their bi's though its the other way around. There's no way to take bi's totally out of the movement. I have the same problem. My back is insanely strong for my size. I BB row 10x315 (yes I am OCD w/form) but the auxiliary muscle (bi's) can only curl about 8x150. I know an underhand bb row and a bb curl are two separate exercises but they mimic each other to an extent with respect to biceps. The angle between your forearm and bicep narrows with the positive portion of both lifts.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw but adding an equally valid explanation stemming from personal experience.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dante Trudel talks about when you get extremely heavy with weight(he did rack deads with 700 something lbs he did under/over grip you can tear your biceps) I think the same is true with reverse barbell rows.

I used to do them reverse. I always do them Overhand now.

I feel parallel rows the full lats, more contraction(the squeeze, which stimulates more growth the more contraction) in my back than the 65-75 degree angel. Take a broomstick and try these for yourself right now and please post your thoughts

also I like closer grip as I feel it works the outer lats more

Wide grip stimulate inner back more Im guessing

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If your gym has plates with handles,you can put a 45,then smaller plates,on a ez curl bar,and grab the handles.It hits the middle of your back well.I seen a pretty good personal trainer at my gym having a client do them.I told the trainer "I like that.It looks like it feels good."The trainer was like "it does man!It feels real good."Then I heard the trainer having to explain what we meant cause he was lost on how lifting could feel good.He's all"so you mean the pain?"It was funny sh!t!