20 rep squats

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
In an attempt to take my mind off of some issues in my personal life I decided to go back to a routine I hadn't done in years. I am about 2 1/2 weeks into a "20 rep breathing squat" routine. At 43 these are some of the most brutal workouts I have ever had. However, I can not complain about the results. All of my lifts are up, as is my appetite and my weight. For me, gaining 4lbs in 2 1/2 weeks is pretty good. When I started this, on the first day I was barely able to squat 200lbs for 20 reps. Today I got 245lbs x 20. I know that does not seem like a lot of weight, but I could not be happier. Hopefully I will be up around 300 x 20 by the end of 6 weeks. I will keep you posted

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
good growth, nothing to complain about. you doing it all natural or you taking any supps?

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I'm using Yellow gold with pre w/o meal. Ragnarok and 1-carboxy pre w/o and creatine/ beta alanine post w/o. Eating 6 times a day keeping protein and carbs up. Milk is a major dietary component of this routine. I am taking in a minimum of 1/2 gallon per day. Thankfully I love drinking milk, so it is not a problem for me. More 1-carboxy at bed time and I am good to go.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
wow. im surprised your not growing alot more than you are

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
At 43 years old, it is not as easy to put on quality weight as it used to be. That being said, I should be able to gain another 5 to 6 lbs by the end of 6 weeks.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
In an attempt to take my mind off of some issues in my personal life I decided to go back to a routine I hadn't done in years. I am about 2 1/2 weeks into a "20 rep breathing squat" routine. At 43 these are some of the most brutal workouts I have ever had. However, I can not complain about the results. All of my lifts are up, as is my appetite and my weight. For me, gaining 4lbs in 2 1/2 weeks is pretty good. When I started this, on the first day I was barely able to squat 200lbs for 20 reps. Today I got 245lbs x 20. I know that does not seem like a lot of weight, but I could not be happier. Hopefully I will be up around 300 x 20 by the end of 6 weeks. I will keep you posted

20 rep sqaut. Thats basically consists of 1 20 rep set?

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I do 3-4 warm up sets before hammering out the 20. Here is a link that explains the program in detail. As you will see, this is a full body routine based around the squat. Mental preparation is critical for this program. You will get big if you stick to it.

http://www.musclearticles.com/archives/290

Champ

Champ

Board Supporter
Awards
I'm willing to donate a few lbs to you off my frame. Free of charge of course.

Best wishes to you. I love this routine as it opening my eyes to what real training is like.

I would get fired from my job if I drink the amount of milk that was suggested by Strossen. I'm super dooper lactose intolerant.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
The 20 rep squat routine is a true killer. It really adds some quality mass, if you eat enough. Mark

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Hmm. So if I do this for Monday, Wednesday and Friday I'll get huge? It sounds like fun but I don't like the idea of full body workouts... Maybe I'll try it when i start my cycle In April.

Squat: 1×20
Pullovers : 1×20
Deadlift: 1×15
Bench Press: 2-3 x 10
Seated row: 2-3×15
Shoulder press : 2-3 x 12

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I had not done full body workouts in years. This one is the real deal though. By the end of each w/o I am completely exhausted. As MEH pointed out, you have to eat alot! With this routine I am eating more than ever and I feel good, never bloated. There are variations to the routine. Mine is set up like this:

Military press 3x12
Squat 1x20 - after warmups
Pullovers 1x20
Bench 3x12
Deadlift 1x15
Stiff legged deads 1x20
Pullovers 1x20

You can always add in an isolation movement for your bis/tris if you feel the need.
I was able to get 250x20 today. Came close to getting stuck at the mid point of 20. Concentration and focus are paramount to make this work.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
really brutal workout. i tried it once last summer, got 315 for 20, and then collapsed. its insane.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So I have been tring these 20erp squats lately..

When you warm up, what weight do you use, and how many reps?

lol- I did 155lbs for 20 reps, x 3 (20rep)sets- kicked my a$$ :run:

Link24

Awards
  • Established
I usually keep my warm up sets in 6-8 range so I dont expend to much energy in my warm ups.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
So I have been tring these 20erp squats lately..

When you warm up, what weight do you use, and how many reps?

lol- I did 155lbs for 20 reps, x 3 (20rep)sets- kicked my a$$ :run:
:toofunny:

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I usually keep my warm up sets in 6-8 range so I dont expend to much energy in my warm ups.
But what do you warm up with, and what would you use for the 20 reps?

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
My warm up consists of 135x10, 185x6-8, 210x4 with stretching between sets. Then its 1x20. If you are doing 3x20 you are missing the point of this routine. By using enough weight, you should barely be able to complete 20 reps for 1 set. At reps 16-20, I am seriously sucking wind. Did 255x20 today and have gained 6lbs to date.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My warm up consists of 135x10, 185x6-8, 210x4 with stretching between sets. Then its 1x20. If you are doing 3x20 you are missing the point of this routine. By using enough weight, you should barely be able to complete 20 reps for 1 set. At reps 16-20, I am seriously sucking wind. Did 255x20 today and have gained 6lbs to date.
lol- yeah, 16-20 were almost hell :p

Previously, I was doing sets of 320 for 6 reps.
The change in reps really threw me-

I may have missed the point, but beleive me, when I finished, I HAD gotten the point, maybe a different one, but a point none the less.

The hormonal response was crazy! ...

When I saw the 20 rep squat on a video, the guy was using 135 I think, which is why I choose 155lbs for mine.

Maybe I'll try 200 next time for it.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
lol- yeah, 16-20 were almost hell :p

Previously, I was doing sets of 320 for 6 reps.
The change in reps really threw me-

I may have missed the point, but beleive me, when I finished, I HAD gotten the point, maybe a different one, but a point none the less.

The hormonal response was crazy! ...

When I saw the 20 rep squat on a video, the guy was using 135 I think, which is why I choose 155lbs for mine.

Maybe I'll try 200 next time for it.
yea I was doing 3 sets of 255 for 20 reps and loved the burning in my abs!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may give this a whirl. i've gotten a little bored with my current routine

Adrenolin

Adrenolin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm using Yellow gold with pre w/o meal. Ragnarok and 1-carboxy pre w/o and creatine/ beta alanine post w/o. Eating 6 times a day keeping protein and carbs up. Milk is a major dietary component of this routine. I am taking in a minimum of 1/2 gallon per day. Thankfully I love drinking milk, so it is not a problem for me. More 1-carboxy at bed time and I am good to go.
beta alanine is usually much more effective if taken pre w/o, could probably help your 20 rep squats by delaying the fatigue

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
There is beta alanine in the Ragnarok I take pre w/o. I doubt I would be able to get through the routine without it. Thanks for the input.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I am finding out first hand how difficult it is to switch your body clock around. Just finished week one at my new job and am now working 1st shift, coming off of overnights. When I eat, sleep, and w/o are all different now. Combined with this workout, it has been very tough. At my last w/o, I got totally stuck at the bottom of rep 17. Hopefully another week will get my new patterns stabilized and I will start to feel better.

boosted5038

boosted5038

Awards
20rep squats are a mutha phucker. i got to 205X20 ass to grass. by far the biggest ass kicker physically and mentally for me. my goal was 225X20. i tweaked my lower back and had to stop. 245X20 is pretty impressive let alone 300X20. :head:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried the 20 squats as part of a whole body routine today. lost hearing and almost passed out when I sat down after the 20th :)

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
When I was a younger, fitter, and stronger man I remember the time that I first really trained legs. My first set was 135 x 25. Even at that light weight I wanted to puke after that one set. Then we worked up to higher weights and lower reps for five sets.

I imagine that squatting heavy for 20 reps is a major ass kicker.

I will definately give this program a try in the future.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
It was a good day today. Was able to complete 260x20. It helps that I had Metallica's Master of Puppets ripping through my head set. Also was my 1st time with Axis Labs Hemodraulix. Very nice overall body pump. Calf pump was ridiculous. .

Fergs103

Awards
So for you guys that have done this how much are you increasing and by what increments? I read one article that suggested uping the weight 5lbs a workout and doing this 3 times a week so +15lbs a week, I don't know about everyone else on here but I know that I could not handle that. Unless of course this workout is just that badass and 15lbs is doable...

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I have been adding 5lbs per w/o. If I get stuck and do not complete 20 reps, I use that same weight at my next w/o. It is doable, but physically and mentally demanding.

satyricon

Awards
last time i did this routine i started out light and then slowly work up the to the heavy #. i know they recomend taking # that can do 10 with and go for 20 but i feel you can stretch the cycle out longer and get better results doing it the way i did. i usually do it after a long run of max # squats. the high reps are truly brutal and effective.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and I can tell the difference on the raising testosterone part too. started doing them sunday (as a piece of whole body workouts) and tonite was the 3rd time. exhausting for sure, I have to take a hell of a rest after those before I do anything else

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
The mental aspect of this routine is really starting to take its toll. I got stuck again at rep 17 with 265 on the bar. Fatigue and loss of concentration are the enemy and they are getting stronger as the weight increases. I may need to rest 2 days between w/o to complete 6 weeks.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
Interestingly enough, I just read about this last night while I was bored at work... I'm trying to incorporate this into my 3 or 4 day split on leg day (today was my first).

I'm trying a variation of it by doing the lift either on the plate loaded Leg Press or Hack Squat. I really have trouble with regular squats due to my knees, but after doing it today, I'm convinced the effect will be the same.

I started with a couple warm up sets and then did 230x20 and when I stood up, it felt like I'd just got shot in the quad and I almost puked. During the lift, I was hurting at 12, and couldn't feel my legs after 15, it was great! The rest of my workout was hell b/c I could barely walk or think... :head:

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Sadly I have to end my routine about 2 weeks early. A high ankle sprain from a pickup basketball game is going to keep me out of the squat rack for a few weeks. I am pretty bummed about it. However, I am happy with the progress and the gains I have made with this w/o. Definitely thicker around quads, calves and upper back & chest. Good luck to all how are trying this. It is well worth the pain.

bryan4592

Awards
This sounds pretty interesting. I've always liked higher rep ranges, but I've never gone as high as 20. I'm in a strength phase/lower reps cycle for the next 2 weeks. I might try this out after that.

Do you follow that exact routine?

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
I am very bored with my current routine, I will definitely be starting this routine as of Monday. I think I may do a log of it, one thing I have a question about though is the pull-overs. I have had shoulder problems in the past, but do not anymore, they seem like they are pretty detrimental on the shoulder joint any opinions?

hawkeyes56

Awards
A couple questions... is this one set of 20? Are you doing any other leg work after? I would assume no because of the strenuousness of it but figure I should ask anyway. Has anyone tried this with bench press, or deads? I am a powerlifter and have been finishing my squats with 365x6 not an impressive number I know but it is good for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Hawkeye, check out post #14 in this thread. It outlines the routine I was using. You will hit every part of your body and be totally spent at the end of the w/o. Good luck

hawkeyes56

Awards
Thanks alot.. I guess I should read a little more thoroughly.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
I am very bored with my current routine, I will definitely be starting this routine as of Monday. I think I may do a log of it, one thing I have a question about though is the pull-overs. I have had shoulder problems in the past, but do not anymore, they seem like they are pretty detrimental on the shoulder joint any opinions?
I have a shoulder injury from pitching in high school and little league where I can pop it at any time, sometimes it used to pop out when I'd do pull overs like this, so I started with relatively low weight and worked up, now it doesn't give any problems. I think I started with something like 25lb, but I'd say if it hurts too much, just leave that out. My injury really didn't cause a whole lot of pain, more just uncomfortableness.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I started this routine 2 weeks ago and I'm happy with the way I feel. Although I'm not using the full body workout, I still feel way better than I did before.

I am starting with lower weight to get used to proper form before adding more plates. My rutine is as follows: 50 x 20, 90 X 20, 140 x 20, 160 x 20.

I know I'm doing more during my warmup than usual, but I stretch and loosen up between warmup sets.

This is one of the best modifications to my routine in a long time.

Nightshift, I wish you a speedy recovery. Get well so you can get squatting again. :)

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I should be good to go in about a week. My plan is to restart the routine in about 6 weeks. As for the pull overs, you do not need to use much weight. They are really used as more of a recovery tool right after the squats. The most weight I used was a 30lb dumbbell. Do them nice and slow with deep breathing. You will get a real nice stretch and good rib cage expansion.

Fergs103

Awards
I started trying this out this week, but I'm coming off a 5x5 routine, which I'm still on for everything else but I was getting stuck on the squats so I thought I'd change it up, so my body is not used to doing 10 let alone 20 reps. I started with 180, I'm 170, my 5 rep max is only like 225:( ,so I figured I'd start a little above body weight and work up, but by rep 10 I was about at failure and so I racked the weight, waited 20 or so seconds and did another 5 then repeated for the last 5. For say the next week or so should I continue to do that until I can get my endurance up and finish the set, or drop the weight and work back up?

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I would drop the weight and work back up. You really want to get those 20 reps without racking the weight. I started at a weight I knew I could get 10-12 reps with and just made myself do 20. If you can bang out 20 with ease you're to light. If, after the 20, you fell like you are about to die, you're at a good weight. Add 5lbs per w/o after that. When you get stuck at a certain weight, use the same weight in you're next w/o. I think you will be happy with the results. Good luck