My Lifting Straps Keep Breaking

J

jackery

Awards
I regularly do barbell shrugs with an over/under grip and lifting straps. I have a weak grip and rely heavily on the straps. Unfortunately, no matter what straps I try, they keep breaking. The usually break at around 495-585lb shrugs. I've used all the crappy-store brands like Valeo and Harbinger straps, and they break like crazy. I've been using Schiek's PLS-1000 straps lately, and I get about one broken strap per 1.5 months. It's about time for me to purchase a new set of straps and I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems and could reccomend a good pair of straps. I've been looking at APT's straps (I like them camo ones) but the descriptions are vague and I cannot determine which would be the stongest.

Any recomendations (about straps, not about strengthening my grip)?

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your shrugging 585lbs WTF!!!! Nice job on that brotha, but good luck finding a strap that can withstand that type of abuse.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Have you or anyone else tried the lifting straps with the metal hooks ?

I had always wrapping the bar, and if it is not just right then I cannot hold it the way that I want to. I was possibly thinking about switching to the metal hooks instead.

J

jackery

Awards
I used to use hooks but the bar kept slipping out of them. I tried the harbinger hooks. The hooks also broke out of the neoprene a couple of times too. I've seen hooks that look like they would hold the bar on APTs website, but I have not tried them. Anyone tried those? Maybe that'll work for me.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried leather lifting straps?

Also why not work on your grip a little so the straps don't have to work as much,

J

jackery

Awards
I've never tried leather ones, I always assumed they would be worse. I'll give them a shot though. I have really tiny hands, and carpal tunnel syndrome, so my grip is pretty much hopeless.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The most i ever hold is 405,but i have had the same straps for a while now,maybe a year,They're ALTUS,i bought them from sports authority.Leather ones sound good though.Ididn't know they had those.That will prob be my next pair.Do you actually raise the weight,or do you "throw" it?If you're throwing it,you could lower the weight,and have a more controlled lift.

J

jackery

Awards
I follow propper (I believe) shrug form. I slowly raise my sholders to the apex of the scapular elevation, drop, and repeat. I don't "roll" my shoulders at all, this rotation is orthogonal to gravity's force vector. Though lower and middle trapezius fibers can benefit from movement in this orthogonal plane, they are heavily used as in synergy with many common other exercises making the rolling completely unnecessary.

It's funny, my straps never used to break at other gyms. It seems like the newer equipment at the gyms which I am a member of have newer, more gnarled grips which may be decreasing my straps' life spans.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's funny, my straps never used to break at other gyms. It seems like the newer equipment at the gyms which I am a member of have newer, more gnarled grips which may be decreasing my straps' life spans.
That makes perfect sence!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Well you could always just go up to the front desk of the gym and tell them you left your straps there the day before and see if they have any in a lost and found type thing. Kind of a scummy move, but I know at my gym the have a box full of straps and gloves that people leave behind and one of the trainers always gets nice leather ones for himself. If you do go with the leather straps check these out
Leather Straps