Indoor cardio training... OF THE FUTURE

1. Registered User
    Answers

Indoor cardio training... OF THE FUTURE

I decided to incorporate some recumbent biking into one of my recent workouts to mix things up, and was amazed at the setup I used. Made by the company "Expresso", the bike was a combination of a video game and an exercise machine. Here's a link to a small writup on the bike (found through yahoo) -
    FSU Fitness & Wellness: Expresso Cardio
    The first video link appears to be broken, but the second gives a decent look(real short).

Simply put, your pedal through several different levels, each with a suprisingly good looking backround... great job on making it look realistic. You can see what's coming up in front of you, for example, a hill. And when you charge it, the difficulty increases depending on the slope, bringing "hill training" on a recumbent bike to a much more enjoyable level. Instead of watching those red dots climb, you can actually focus on the crest of the hill and charge it, shifting accordingly. Although there isn't a huge demand at all on steering the bike, the handle bars rotate so you truely "follow" the track. All the meantime, there are other computer-AI riders biking with you, allowing you to "join the pack" to hold a certain pace(or focus on pushing ahead). Or say you want to challenge your previous best on the chosen track - you design a 1v1 race against previous time via a ghost-rider alongside you.

I was absolutely impressed at how fluid every aspect of it came together, and it truely made for a fun experience. There were over a dozen courses to choose from, each vastly different from each other in terms of both difficulty and scenery. Each track had "high scores" as well, just like a video game, from users who created ID's on the system. Fun to set a ghost-rider at their time, and try to beat it. A whole lot more interesting than staring at numbers, that's for sure.

Pretty darn cool stuff... who know's what's next.

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Answers

Looks pretty cool, anything to make cardio more exciting

Similar Forum Threads

1. cardio before or after training?
    By packers6211 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM
  2. Hit Training Not Cardio