Need advice on training.

1. Registered User

Need advice on training.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and would like some advice. I am 29 years old, 5' 10", and 217 lbs. I am trying to lose fat, get big and strong, like a power lifter.
    My thing is that I used to be a really fat kid in high school and also through college. Then I really got into cycling for a few years . I was doing none stop cardio and no weights. I went from 230 lbs to 155lbs in 9 months. I was so skinny, that I was getting sick all the time and my immune system was shot. So I started doing weights and eating somewhat well. I got up to 180 lbs and then I messed up my back and got laid off from my job a few years ago. So I wasn't able to do much. So here I am now at 217lbs. I carry most of my fat in the belly and chest area, with some on my thighs. Sorry for the long winded explanation. I have now gone back to the weights and eating well. I want to get bigger without getting fatter than I already am. So should I be focusing on cutting weight first and then bulking up?? Or should I just eat clean, bulk up and add cardio to my workout?? How do you cleanly bulk up?? Weightgainers?? Just food?? I don't want to be cut like a bodybuilder, I want to be big and strong. So what should I do?? Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Nik.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ta2dDragun View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and would like some advice. I am 29 years old, 5' 10", and 217 lbs. I am trying to lose fat, get big and strong, like a power lifter.
    My thing is that I used to be a really fat kid in high school and also through college. Then I really got into cycling for a few years . I was doing none stop cardio and no weights. I went from 230 lbs to 155lbs in 9 months. I was so skinny, that I was getting sick all the time and my immune system was shot. So I started doing weights and eating somewhat well. I got up to 180 lbs and then I messed up my back and got laid off from my job a few years ago. So I wasn't able to do much. So here I am now at 217lbs. I carry most of my fat in the belly and chest area, with some on my thighs. Sorry for the long winded explanation. I have now gone back to the weights and eating well. I want to get bigger without getting fatter than I already am. So should I be focusing on cutting weight first and then bulking up?? Or should I just eat clean, bulk up and add cardio to my workout?? How do you cleanly bulk up?? Weightgainers?? Just food?? I don't want to be cut like a bodybuilder, I want to be big and strong. So what should I do?? Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Nik.
    Considering you had a previous injury serious enough to take you out of work and exercise, I would spend some time slowly working your way up to POWER LIFTING intensity. With that said, you mentioned you're not looking for the ultra ripped look, but you'd still like to drop some weight. Why don't you focus on leaning until you've reached a somewhat of a self satisfactory weight while lifting with higher volume and moderate intensity for awhile just to build up your strength base and develop familiarity of proper form to ensure the safety of your injury predisposed.

Cardio is also important for leaning. Try one step at a time.
    NSCA - CSCS

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need Advice on Training Log
    By tarheel10 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM
  2. Advice on training.
    By SkItZoId in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM
  3. Training Advice
    By ideatrade in forum Training Forum