Deloading Workouts

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
When would deloading be a good time to use in a workout routine? After 12 weeks? Every 4 weeks?

Do you take a week off and then deload? Or is the deloading phase your off week?

Im very confused on this whole concept and I am hoping someone can help me out.

From what I have found, people say that using a lot of light weight and a lot of reps is what you want to do. But then there is stuff about Dynamic Chest and Max Effort Chest that just confuse the crap outta me.

Can somebody help me out here?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
By deloading do you mean tapering? Tapering is generally used in a sports performance program at the end of each meso-cycle, for the purpose of transitioning from a hypertrophy phase to a strength phase and ending with the power phase. This is done to prevent overtraining and let the body peak into the next phase.

The timing of the tapering is dependent on the length of the macrocycle. If you're on a 12 week plan, then you taper every 4th week.

Are you using this for sports performance purposes or bodybuilding?

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
By deloading do you mean tapering? Tapering is generally used in a sports performance program at the end of each meso-cycle, for the purpose of transitioning from a hypertrophy phase to a strength phase and ending with the power phase. This is done to prevent overtraining and let the body peak into the next phase.

The timing of the tapering is dependent on the length of the macrocycle. If you're on a 12 week plan, then you taper every 4th week.

Are you using this for sports performance purposes or bodybuilding?
Well I'm not sure how to answer.

I am just saying that if deloading is where you use high reps/ light weight to "deload" your muscles from heavy weight.

Well I will do doing powerlifting every winter, and I will be using a 12 week cycle. And I was just curious when to use it and HOW to use it (ie what do to during it)

And i was curious if I have to deload after a routine, like after 8 weeks of 5x5, deload, then begin 3x3 for 8 weeks, then deloaded and do 10-12 reps for 8 weeks..etcc..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deloading can also be called active recovery. If you want to transition from program to program, then deloading is a good idea. However, when going from very demanding programs (e.g. 3x3, DC, 5x5), taking a week off after 10-12 weeks would be even better for not only your joints, but also your CNS.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Deloading is tapering, which is simply decreasing the intensity of your lifts for a week in order to let the body recover and create a bit of a peak when you transition into the next phase. However, since you're powerlifting, I found this thread, it might be more helpful then worrying about deloading, or maybe it'll answer your queston

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/86991-powerlifting-training-styles.html
Alright that makes sense. Thanks for that thread link. Good stuff.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Deloading can also be called active recovery. If you want to transition from program to program, then deloading is a good idea. However, when going from very demanding programs (e.g. 3x3, DC, 5x5), taking a week off after 10-12 weeks would be even better for not only your joints, but also your CNS.
Maybe I will deload every 4 weeks during a 12 week "cycle" or rough routine like Volcom was talking about.

Thanks Rodja

FOOFAC

FOOFAC

Awards
  • Established
I take a week off every 6-8 weeks and I always come back stronger.

Al Swearengen

Awards
Maybe I will deload every 4 weeks during a 12 week "cycle" or rough routine like Volcom was talking about.

Thanks Rodja
typicaly a deload is better after 4 or 6 weeks when running the same program for lager cycles, like your 12 weeks. you can deload by cutting 50% of the weight or so off your maxes for each lift and cut out any accessory lifts for that week. then you can start your next 4 to 6 week cycle with the weight you left off at.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i typically deload every 8 weeks, and with this i just lower volume and do more of active recovery like mentioned above. I will also take two to three times a year to take a complete week off of training when i feel the need to let my body "chill"

danman123

danman123

Awards
deloading usually goes like this

3 weeks with a 1 week deload
6 weeks with a 1 week deload

depends how bad you killing your CNS, you age, all that stuff

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I take four days off every now and then myself.I tried for a week the first time and couldn't do it.Now I always do four days.I hate looking forward to them.Especially the day I trained for the last time,but when I sleep an extra hour those days,and then finally go back to the gym.That feels great!I'm fixing to start one in two days :sad: then i'm going back to the gym with m-drol and methoxy tst in my blood :woohoo:

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all your help guys.

I honestly hate taking a week off, becuase I'm taking them off when I feel fine. I dont tire as quick as other guys so I may be able to go longer than 12 weeks.

danman123

danman123

Awards
its really not "taking a week off" you reduce VOLUME and some intensity for a week to restore things like your CNS, which is somthing you would have a hard time noticing if its being hurt or not. ex one week you can get 275 for 5 easy and the next week only 275 for 3 a grind

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
its really not "taking a week off" you reduce VOLUME and some intensity for a week to restore things like your CNS, which is somthing you would have a hard time noticing if its being hurt or not. ex one week you can get 275 for 5 easy and the next week only 275 for 3 a grind
Yes I understad that. People started saying that they take a week off, not deload. I'm just going to deload every 12 weeks but it really depends on how I feel.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes I understad that. People started saying that they take a week off, not deload. I'm just going to deload every 12 weeks but it really depends on how I feel.
I used to do that too.I would do high reps 15-20 for two weeks every 6-8 weeks,then come back to the traditional reps.Now,i prefer the four day break myself.Extra sleep and whatnot.It can kind of get your body out of the habit too,so it will act like a shocker.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntM1564 Anabolics 7
AntM1564 Training Forum 13
Post Cycle Therapy 3
mmorso Anabolics 3
Chrisehyoung Training Forum 5