Abs: What the hell??

  1. Registered User
    sooner999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    124

    Abs: What the hell??


    I am a relatively skinny guy. I am 6' 170 and i have well defined arms. When i flex i can see all those striations in my shoulders and veins in my biceps etc etc. But my abs are not showing.When i flex i can see the top two but not much more. I try to grab extra fat on y stomach buy cant. So whats goin on...do i have underdevleoped abs or still more fat to lose in order to have a nice perfect six pack.

  2. Registered User
    heebs10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Power
    1152

    try doing heavy ab exercises like cable crunches. they should help make them pop out a little more. i had the same problem but its gotten better since i started heavy cable crunches. many people have the same problem it seems.
  3. Registered User
    BrMe86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    143

    ^^^ I agree. It's like doing push ups...how big will your arms get doing push ups? You need to do heavier weighted exercises to reach the type of hypertrophy you're looking for.

    Cable crunches are great. Do you do squats and deadlifts? Those are normally enough to build up good abs.
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,077
    Rep Power
    918000

    Genetics are a b!tch.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    jbono731's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Under the Iron
    Posts
    340
    Rep Power
    304

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Genetics are a b!tch.
    Yup
  6. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,208
    Rep Power
    0

    well genetics started you with no abs but you can still build them up... your issue obviously isnt too much fat covering them just a lack of muscle period. Heavy and moderate stomach exercises are needed for you to build them up then they will begin to stand off your belly a lil more.
  7. Registered User
    sooner999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    124

    thank you all for the advice...I sure hope genetics doesn't determine everything or else ill lose hope. Assuming they don't, other than cable crunches, what other heavy abs exercises are there out there to gain the results you say I need.
  8. Banned
    poopypants's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9,208
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner999 View Post
    thank you all for the advice...I sure hope genetics doesn't determine everything or else ill lose hope. Assuming they don't, other than cable crunches, what other heavy abs exercises are there out there to gain the results you say I need.
    decline bench set waaay steep, hold a weighted ball (medicine ball) out above your head (above as in if you were standing not like if you were pressing it) then do sit ups that way. Dont cheat and throw the ball forward, its there to specifically add some negative leverage and help make the situp much more difficult.
  9. Registered User
    heebs10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Power
    1152

    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    decline bench set waaay steep, hold a weighted ball (medicine ball) out above your head (above as in if you were standing not like if you were pressing it) then do sit ups that way. Dont cheat and throw the ball forward, its there to specifically add some negative leverage and help make the situp much more difficult.
    i love these too, there hard as hell if you do them just like poop explains and it should burn like a mofo.
  10. Registered User
    LilPsychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,608
    Rep Power
    901

    Quote Originally Posted by sooner999 View Post
    I am a relatively skinny guy. I am 6' 170 and i have well defined arms. When i flex i can see all those striations in my shoulders and veins in my biceps etc etc. But my abs are not showing.When i flex i can see the top two but not much more. I try to grab extra fat on y stomach buy cant. So whats goin on...do i have underdevleoped abs or still more fat to lose in order to have a nice perfect six pack.
    Abs are the only muscle group that you should work out almost daily, or a little each time you train. I focus on them once a week, but do a few sets each time I work out.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Hell No!
    By Zero V in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
  2. What the Hell is Going On.....?
    By WannabeBatman in forum Bulking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
  3. What in the hell?
    By Iron Lungz in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
  4. Who the hell can do this in here!
    By ITHURTZ in forum Pics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM
  5. What the hell is going on here?
    By th0m in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in