Most Important Upperbody Exercise

  1. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191398
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Most Important Upperbody Exercise


    I guess it depends on your goals.

    My workout yesterday was to do as many dips as I could in 15 minutes.

    7 minutes into it I was doing sets of 2-3

    This morning, I will safely say that dips hit my whole upper body better than any other single exercise.

  2. Senior Member
    dlew308's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,647
    Rep Power
    923
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    you could do a pullup or chinup high enough, then dip, slowly lower down all the while with your legs out, that'd be pretty tight
  3. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,764
    Rep Power
    1317343
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    30.74%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    you could do a pullup or chinup high enough, then dip, slowly lower down all the while with your legs out, that'd be pretty tight
    You mean a muscle-up?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    dlew308's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,647
    Rep Power
    923
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Is that what it's called?

    Ok pull-up, muscle-up, dip, lower down, curse, rinse and repeat




    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You mean a muscle-up?
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,764
    Rep Power
    1317343
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    30.74%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    Is that what it's called?

    Ok pull-up, muscle-up, dip, lower down, curse, rinse and repeat
    They're even worse on rings.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  6. Senior Member
    dlew308's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,647
    Rep Power
    923
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    true!!!

    I wish we had rings at the gym.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    They're even worse on rings.
  7. Professional Member
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    5604
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Muscle ups sound awful.. And I can't help but want to try this out.. today is upper body too... Hmm...
  8. Senior Member
    dlew308's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,647
    Rep Power
    923
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    9.12%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro
  9. New Member
    Flick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    149
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    98.89%

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I guess it depends on your goals.

    My workout yesterday was to do as many dips as I could in 15 minutes.

    7 minutes into it I was doing sets of 2-3

    This morning, I will safely say that dips hit my whole upper body better than any other single exercise.
    Eventually you'll want to use some added weight though. I love dips, but I eventually got too used to doing them. I could do 10 sets of dips and not be sore the next day. I like to add some weight and do them at the end of my chest routine. I'm up to adding 100lbs now for around 6-8 reps. The most I've ever done without added weight was 60. I think it's a record in my gym, haha.
  10. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191398
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.62%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    Eventually you'll want to use some added weight though. I love dips, but I eventually got too used to doing them. I could do 10 sets of dips and not be sore the next day. I like to add some weight and do them at the end of my chest routine. I'm up to adding 100lbs now for around 6-8 reps. The most I've ever done without added weight was 60. I think it's a record in my gym, haha.
    Right on, I have a weight vest coming to me in the mail. I find it more balanced than using a belt with a hanging plate
  11. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.21%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    For me at least, plyo is always supplemental to isotonic movements. I believe firmly in progressive overload, in an intensity and not necessarily volume sense. Your BW does not increase fast enough to work with progressive overload in that capacity. However, I love to throw in one plyo., movement at the end of a weight session. Medicine Ball pushups at the end of a bench session, for example.

    (this is speaking in terms of muscle-building in the aesthetic and classical strength sense [as different fibres are worked and much functional strength gained with Plyo])
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Most Important Supplement ever!
    By Socrates44 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 231
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 02:05 AM
  2. Most important qualities of a Personal Trainer:
    By motiv8er in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 12:47 PM
  3. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
  4. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 07:26 PM
  5. most important event in history
    By spatch in forum Politics
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 12:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in