Chest press machine

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I can use the majority of the machines at my gym, but the one machine that will not work for me is the chest press machine. When I use it, it does not stimulate my pecs at all. Furthermore, it puts a ridiculous amount of strain on my shoulders.

Does anyone else experience this ?

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure what machine your talking about? As there are a bunch of different chest machines at different gyms. Hammer strength machines? or a machine you put weights on? But for the majority that i have tried the stimulated the chest farely well

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The fixed one that moves directly forward at a pre-set width that you adjust the pin on. No plates.

I probably get a lot of shoulder strain because I tend to bench press with a fairly wide grip.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Ive tried that machine before, but I do not recall any shoulder discomfort. Maybe try to pre exhaust your chest to get a nice chest pump which in turn will allow for you to utilize mroe of your chest.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Im the same way.. I never use that machine, and if I did, it would be for ant delt work...

The only chest machine I like is the Hammer Incline that you load weights onto.. it has 2 swinging arms and they start wide and move closer together as the rep goes on.. thats the only chest machine that ive ever got use out of dammit!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Machines suck.I will use the dec. hammer strength cause i have a hard time feeling my chest work with dips.At my gym its dips,hs,or the smith machine with the one sit up bench my gym has.People who need to do cardio are always using that bench instead,it kills me.I don't like the smith machine either.When i did use that dec hs,i was scared i'd get lazy and start using the machines,I did a superset with all three,and the dec was the only one i liked.You have to adjust the seat just right with those machines cause of the fixed range of motion(why i hate machines)

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
You are most likely positioning your self so that your elbows are out by your head during the press, putting most the weight on your front delts. Move your elbows inwards so that they are lined up with or slightly below the bottom of your pec. And focus on contracting your chest with each push and squeeze your pecs together at the top of the motion.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
The best chest machines IMHO are the Cybex Plate-loaded Advanced Chest & Advanced Incline machines.

The arms both pivot and swivel in such a way that you determine the path...and you can press or do flyes and the tension stays on the Pecs all the weigh through because the way sits on the outside of the arms.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I wish my gym had the one on the left, it would be awesome on days when I don't have a spot... maybe I'll go buy one for home use...

Found a remanufactured advanced chest for $1095.00, seems a bit high. I workout at a 24hr fitness and I think most of their equipment is Cybex. I wonder if they would buy one...

Thanks datBrute!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Spotters are useless once you get used to lifting on your own,unless you're doing forced reps,but i read before you should never do those on aregular basis,just like drop sets.I had to lay the bar on my chest and roll it down twice.you learn when your last rep has been completed.Even if you use a spotter you should know when he jumps in.Theirs a guy at my gym that will do singles without a spot(heavy ass singles too)You should know what you can and can't do_One day you will go to do what you can and realise after x-reps that you can do more

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
You're absolutely right. However I feel there is a "safety net" with this particular machine since I won't have a bar drop on my head or chest in case I run out of fuel. But I agree with you, the same concept applies regardless of equipment.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm glad you do.I was wondering afterwards if you would completely disagree or get offended(never my goal)Thats why i love this site and the people on it.I have seen other sites where a statement like mine would of caused a 10page fight with everyone jumping in and choosing sides.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Spotters are useless once you get used to lifting on your own,unless you're doing forced reps,but i read before you should never do those on aregular basis,just like drop sets.I had to lay the bar on my chest and roll it down twice.you learn when your last rep has been completed.Even if you use a spotter you should know when he jumps in.Theirs a guy at my gym that will do singles without a spot(heavy ass singles too)You should know what you can and can't do_One day you will go to do what you can and realise after x-reps that you can do more
It is nice to have a lift off on those heavy sets. though. Getting the bar over me gets my shoulders more than the pressing itself (damn short arms).

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
haha, no worries pantera101

I'm glad you do.I was wondering afterwards if you would completely disagree or get offended(never my goal)Thats why i love this site and the people on it.I have seen other sites where a statement like mine would of caused a 10page fight with everyone jumping in and choosing sides.
No worries. I like this site for the same reasons you do.

LOL, I've seen those types of threads. They're entertaining for like 3 seconds, then they get very pointless, boring, and sometimes idiotic. Almost like ping-pong b!tch slaps LOL.

Damn, the compulsive buyer in me still wants one of those Cybex Plate-loaded Advanced Chest... I'll just see if my gym will buy one - I want to try it out :) It is almost like the kid from christmas story wanting a bb rifle... haha

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
I wish my gym had the one on the left, it would be awesome on days when I don't have a spot... maybe I'll go buy one for home use...

Found a remanufactured advanced chest for $1095.00, seems a bit high. I workout at a 24hr fitness and I think most of their equipment is Cybex. I wonder if they would buy one...

Thanks datBrute!
Yep I'm thinking about buying one in a few months when I move as well. I actually found these two machines in an LA Fitness in the Phoenix area. LA Fitnesses are the wierdest places in that there is no consistency in equipment from place to place...I've probably visited 30 of 'em.

These machines have adjustable risers that the arms rest on. They can be set real low for a deep stretch or high for a half rep. But there is no need to set them for safety because there is no bar across your chest.

Since those arms swivel you can use angles you couldn't attain safely on a regular bench. For instance you can slide down so that when you press or fly...the movement ends w/ the hands above the face...or even behind the head...this really hits the Pec-Delt tie-in.

The movement feels nice because you aren't really locked into a fixed arc.

Anyway I haven't looked too much but I've found a place that sells the Advanced Chest for $999 used/refurb.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
having a spotter isn't just wise but it's almost being considerate to others around you. There is nothing worse then seeing some dude struggle doing 2 reps then put another 50lbs on the bar and try a rep. You can just see everyone waiting to jump in and spot him when the bar breaks his neck.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
having a spotter isn't just wise but it's almost being considerate to others around you. There is nothing worse then seeing some dude struggle doing 2 reps then put another 50lbs on the bar and try a rep. You can just see everyone waiting to jump in and spot him when the bar breaks his neck.
lol I think most have witnessed that, it really is sad and funny all at the same time.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
...There is nothing worse then seeing some dude struggle doing 2 reps then put another 50lbs on the bar and try a rep. ...
:) OR the situation where a guy asks for a spot (you see he has nothing but big wheels on the bar...225 or 315 or even 135) The guy needs a lift off and he can't even do one rep by himself so you help him with the 1st rep thinking thats it BUT NOPE he attempts another one...w/ a super fast negative and then a static hold on his chest which you end up pulling up straight off his chest SO THEN you start to walk away but I'll be damned if he doesn't attempt another one!

You're like DUDE! :wtf:

Sh1t like this makes me a very unapproachable pissed off looking guy in my gym...which is good cus it keeps the pin heads away.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
:) OR the situation where a guy asks for a spot (you see he has nothing but big wheels on the bar...225 or 315 or even 135) The guy needs a lift off and he can't even do one rep by himself so you help him with the 1st rep thinking thats it BUT NOPE he attempts another one...w/ a super fast negative and then a static hold on his chest which you end up pulling up straight off his chest SO THEN you start to walk away but I'll be damned if he doesn't attempt another one!

You're like DUDE! :wtf:

Sh1t like this makes me a very unapproachable pissed off looking guy in my gym...which is good cus it keeps the pin heads away.
lol Now that was a pretty classic and freaking funny scenario that occurs at least once a month!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I seen a guy on the internet using a grip where you don't rap your thumbs around the bar,The damn bar fell right on him.I had to spot a guy that lifts too much weight and does half reps.A couple weeks earlier he was telling me how it's hard to get stronger without a spot??????I always spot a guy if he ask.I never use a spot,and i almost always struggle like hell to get the last rep,including benches and sq's.Some people get dependant on a spotter ,it's a mind thing.If you get used to not having one once you go down,you have no choice but to go back up,so thats kind of a mind thing as well that works in your advantage,instead of attempting and failing as all benchers do when they have a spot.Usually when you fail at a lift you set the bar down,it's not like you drop it(unless your like previously mentioned guy,who did have a spot)If you have seen pumping iron,Franco Colombu set 315 on his chest laughed,told Arnold you made me miss,and then put it back up.You can also roll it down your knees,on to the bench.I would use one if i did singles,but then again theirs a guy at my gym that does singles witout a spot.Just have to know you can make the lift,like guys that do crazy ass death defying s**t.I guess not everyones capable of this,so it's more of a personal thing.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I use that type of grip too, I don't wrap my thumbs around the bar. I find the thumb helps relieve pressure to my wrists when I grip it like that.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I seen Frank Mcgrath use that grip with close grips on a video.Thats the only time my wrist bother me at all,if they do.Next time they start acting up i might have to try it.I love this damn site,you think somethings stupid(thumbless grip)then through talking to people from all around the world,you start seeing the reason behind it,and start thinking you might try it sometime.If it falls on me like that one guy,i'll prob have a diferent point of view,it looked like it hurt.Is one of the guys in your avatar you,steelentity?

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
LOL NO!!! hahahaha. Dude if that was me I would def not make it my avatar, I would go shoot my self.

Dexter Jackson uses that grip too.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I thought maybe the big guy was a before picture,and now you are normal skinny,or big and ripped.Didn't know how to politely say if you are or were the fat one......

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm 6'4 240@16% BF I am cutting down to under 8% for the summer. Once I get to 10-11% my body is so stubborn to get that extra few pounds off, it really sucks because I am not a naturally lean/ripped guy. Some guys are at under 10% for most of their lives with little effort put in.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you have any tips/lessons learned from cutting in the past.I'm naturally lean but eat as much as i can every 2-3 hours(usually 2),but am still pretty lean for a bulker,I don't usually do cardio.I tried my first cut a while ago and started doing 30 min cardio three times a week after weights,and reduced carbs all at once.I think i shocked my body too much.I lost 13 lbs in 13 days(a lot of muscle)I think i did everyting too quickly and will try to add changes much slower when i get much bigger.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Depending on your weight you should aim to lose no more then 3lbs per week. Dieting to fast will result in muscle loss and your metabolism coming to a halt real fast. Plus, if your first day of dieting you just cut out like 1/3 of your maintenance cals then by the time you get to the end of your diet, losing those last few pounds you will be extremely hard since you will have to eat so little. It is best to slowly taper down on your calories. Obviously as you lose weight your maintenance calories lower, so you will eat less and less food as time goes on. I do 3 hours of cardio a week split into 6 30 min sessions of fairly intense running.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so if I am getting strain in my shoulders it is because my elbows are too high ? So if I keep them closer to my body and pointed down it will isolate the pecs better ?

I tried this last night and it is a little better, but still nowhere near DB flat.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey i hijacked this thread so back off.It is now about spotters and how to cut.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just playing Reaperx,I don't remember if i read most sit too high or too low,and end up using more shoulders,i know you have to sit just right though,experiment with it and see what you like best.If i find the article i will post it,but i have like 15bb mags so idk if i'll find it.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so if I am getting strain in my shoulders it is because my elbows are too high ? So if I keep them closer to my body and pointed down it will isolate the pecs better ?

I tried this last night and it is a little better, but still nowhere near DB flat.
yeah