Neoborn's "Where Do I Start?" Bodybuilding Guide - Basic

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Hello Guys,

Due to the amount of posts that we see here I have put together a very short basic guide that, to be honest if you delve a little deeper, will take you 2-3 years into building a solid foundation in the bodybuilding lifestyle. This is something that I post for new people or people needing general guidance. Do not let the brevity of this post fool you, there is literally the basics of all you will need for a long time!

Most importantly, if you have anything to add, or a correction is needed, please let me know! I am here to learn, just like you ;)

~ Fundamental Guidelines ~
  • Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

• Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

• Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

• Creatine - Mono or CEE you decide. Both before and after workout.

• Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

• Sleep 8 - 10 hrs a night ( very imp for all natural BB'ers )

• Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc
~ Exercises ~
  • Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

• Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

• Leg press

• Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

• Core work - Abs / lower back - work the weaker harder.
This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

Here's some links to get you started:

Training Primer

HIIT High Intensity Interval Cardio Training

Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

Bodybuilding Nutrition - Sample Bodybuilding Diet

The Training Information Vault (programs, exercises and more) - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Anabolic Diet | Sample Bodybuilders Diet

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotta develop the basics before you get fancy. Good stuff :clap2:

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
nice post!!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Thank you & wow you forum whores! Record breaking time for responses .....you guys are work? :toofunny:

bigrabbit

Awards
Great summary for what we should do and especially for us teenagers...

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Am I missing something here? I cant seem to find "Neoborns how to wipe your own a**" or "Neoborns how to access the internet so you can read all of noeborns help threads".

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Am I missing something here? I cant seem to find "Neoborns how to wipe your own a**" or "Neoborns how to access the internet so you can read all of noeborns help threads".
That's because my dear friend..."YOU NEED NEOBORN'S NEW HOW TO USE THE F'N SEARCH TOOL LIKE F'N PRO THAT CAN TAKE A FOUR FOOT SALAMI WITHOUT GAGGING...GUIDE!!!!!!

On Sale now......four easy payments of $1,000,000! for the next thirty seconds!

:gotsearch
1. Go to "Search"
2. Click on "Advanced Search"
3. Enter your search terms that you want to find threads on
4. Change the drop down to "Titles Only"
5. Click "Go"

You can use this method to find anything on these forums. You will be surprised how many people have discussed this topic before.:welcome:

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I'm a little slow, are you being funny or are you saying you feel this is too basic? or erm something else?

I fail at this post!:sad:

:drunk:

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I'm a little slow, are you being funny or are you saying you feel this is too basic? or erm something else?

I fail at this post!:sad:

:drunk:
Twofold. It is extremely basic. And I dont think we need (or want) a Neoborns this or that for every topic that gets discussed often on this site. I know you dont care for opposition of your arguably "worthless" posts and Ill try not to let this be that. But come on, did we really need a "how to work out" topic in the training section? Yes the topic of working out is highly discussed in the training section, thats because it IS the training section, thats what it is here for. Even if this might be helpful to some poor noob somewhere, said noob should just look around the site for an hour and come up with something on his/her own. I think it would be highly beneficial of anyone to read around a little bit and read everything youve ever written directly from the horses mouth, instead of just reading what you have compiled from reading the boards.

But on to the basic nature of this one... You pretty much wrote: Eat, workout, sleep, and read these links. Well yeah, anyone who needed that to get into bodybuilding needs to just quit trying now and sit on the couch with a feeding tube inserted and the remote taped to their hand so they dont lose it.

I know this is going to be insulting and offensive, but please dont take take it too harsh... But every time I read something on here from you, I feel like im getting bodybuilding advice from a couch potato that Im not even certain works out much at all or is in very good shape himself. Nothing wrong with all of that, but I just feel like I want to get my information from a more qualified source, same information or not... In your defense though, my issue here stems from my my supervisor at work. Hes over 300lbs and has three 20-something year old crackhead daughters, but hes the first person to chime in and give me dieting and parenting advice from his personal experiences. Sorry, but Im not following his guidance.

And did you honestly just refer me to a search for NEOBORNS GUIDE TO TAKING A FOUR FOOT SALAMI WITHOUT GAGGING? Thats so disturbing, though impressive.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
This is informative and especially good for newbs. It's sound advice, and if you don't need it, then disregard it. That's how I feel about this, not that anyone asked, but I wanted to throw my opinion out there.

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
And I dont think we need (or want) a Neoborns this or that for every topic that gets discussed often on this site.

Speak for yourself Maved**k! I think this is great for attracting newbs to the board or for the novice that is missing one of those fundamentals. People aren't gonna stay if they have to search for hours to get the info that they need.:nutkick: I have found neo's posts usefull and informative and in no way does he ever claim to be a guru!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see how it hurts. If your like the bulk of us here that are advanced in experience and don't need it, then thats good, I'm with ya, but I don't see the need to come off like that.

I didn't need the lesson on fundamentals and apparently you don't either, most of us probably don't, so don't read it. Why it got you so aroused is really odd.

He's just trying to be helpful, no harm in that bro.

Time to lower your cc's

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Twofold. It is extremely basic. And I dont think we need (or want) a Neoborns this or that for every topic that gets discussed often on this site.
You are correct, it is extremely basic, but the heart of building mass, is, extremely basic, the magazines etc would have you believe otherwise. You don't 'think' 'we' (AM?) need a topic like this, but in all honesty I see the need for this basic information daily and in need of use by many people, it's just not needed by you. To be honest there is not a "neoborns this or that" article for every topic, just so you know.
I know you dont care for opposition of your arguably "worthless" posts and Ill try not to let this be that. But come on, did we really need a "how to work out" topic in the training section? Yes the topic of working out is highly discussed in the training section, thats because it IS the training section, thats what it is here for.
What is the point of opposition? If you have something of value to add then please do so, if you have something to Learn....Teach....Lead then please go ahead, be my guess. If you just want to be devil's advocate, go ahead. I have no need for someone just to oppose me for arguments sake. I am not here to argue, I am here to Learn....Teach....Lead. The post is in the training section because that is it's rightful place, this is really only a placeholder so I can direct other people to it through my signature. Have fun.

IEven if this might be helpful to some poor noob somewhere, said noob should just look around the site for an hour and come up with something on his/her own. I think it would be highly beneficial of anyone to read around a little bit and read everything youve ever written directly from the horses mouth, instead of just reading what you have compiled from reading the boards.
It is helpful, many people have thanked me for this information. It is good for new people to learn and find stuff on the site, but if it becomes frustrating people can fail, and give up, better to give them a head start and pointers than to watch them drown slowly with no one to help. That's all this is. Some people also don't have all the time in the world to search the board for hours. These FAQs are for quick digestion / dissemination of information that users can put into use immediately, so it saves them time / money / effort / frustration etc.
But on to the basic nature of this one... You pretty much wrote: Eat, workout, sleep, and read these links. Well yeah, anyone who needed that to get into bodybuilding needs to just quit trying now and sit on the couch with a feeding tube inserted and the remote taped to their hand so they dont lose it.
Ok. Is this what you are here Learning...Teaching.....and Leading people in?
I know this is going to be insulting and offensive, but please dont take take it too harsh... But every time I read something on here from you, I feel like im getting bodybuilding advice from a couch potato that Im not even certain works out much at all or is in very good shape himself. Nothing wrong with all of that, but I just feel like I want to get my information from a more qualified source, same information or not... In your defense though, my issue here stems from my my supervisor at work. Hes over 300lbs and has three 20-something year old crackhead daughters, but hes the first person to chime in and give me dieting and parenting advice from his personal experiences. Sorry, but Im not following his guidance.
No, you are correct, I am a work in progress. I am currently fat, it's true, I am 230lbs with about 20% + bodyfat, but even so this does not negate the truth. What part of my post don't you agree with or what is incorrect? I am here Learning, Teaching and Leading, that's all. I am no guru, I am no pro, I just pass along what took me like six months to 1yr to learn the hard way, on to people to save them the frustration etc
And did you honestly just refer me to a search for NEOBORNS GUIDE TO TAKING A FOUR FOOT SALAMI WITHOUT GAGGING? Thats so disturbing, though impressive.
Eye mayk Jok! :toofunny:

Please feel free to bypass every single one of my posts etc it is your choice to enter and join in.

Much Love,

Neoborn

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
And I dont think we need (or want) a Neoborns this or that for every topic that gets discussed often on this site.

Speak for yourself Maved**k! I think this is great for attracting newbs to the board or for the novice that is missing one of those fundamentals. People aren't gonna stay if they have to search for hours to get the info that they need.:nutkick: I have found neo's posts usefull and informative and in no way does he ever claim to be a guru!
Speaking of gurus, I wonder how that kid's doing. :toofunny:

btw, good post neo. This'll do for a little while but will probably need a daily bump or something like that, otherwise they won't search for this one either :)

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah,it gets old sometimes reading the same old things.Eat,sq,deadlift,eat,eat,eat,eat(and telling others this).But i wish i had someone tell me this when istarted.I worked out at home and knew nobody into weightlifting/bodybuilding.I also didnt read into it.I just did more and more work(half assed and too often).Found out how important it is to eat like crazy,lift often,but no too often,or too long at a time,and grew more in 1 yr than i did in the first 2+ yrs.Makes me wonder where i would be now if i knew then what i know now.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
First off Neo, this is an excellent post for the beginners that happen upon this site in their quest for bodybuilding knowledge. This was very courteous of you to get it all down in one post, and I'm sure it will help many in the future. I know it would have greatly helped me back when I was starting. Great job, and way to simplify.

Maverick. While I wish to just fully lay into you and demean every part of your self esteem I will refrain. Its just sad to see people like you on here helping absolutely no one, and just creating negativity for the sake of it. It's guys like you that I'm sure have run beginners off and ruined the sport for many could be successful bb'ers. Thank God for guys like Neo that come and fix what you have created with one simple post. You're a pretty sad guy in my eyes (and I'm sure in many others')

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know, Neo's constant FAQ on Everything does get tedious, but I see the value in his contribution. Maverick shouldn't have expressed himself like such an ass, as he had a good point, but Neo is a valuable member of the community.

Unfortunately, this will not ever get read by the intended audience - period. I know because I've written threads like this, had a great response in the beginning, and people never read them after that.

(see the sticky: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/42713-what-gi-list.html) (I've since abandoned any stock in the GI)

Neo, just keep doing what you're doing if it feels right, though.

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
I don't know, Neo's constant FAQ on Everything does get tedious, but I see the value in his contribution. Maverick shouldn't have expressed himself like such an ass, as he had a good point, but Neo is a valuable member of the community.

Unfortunately, this will not ever get read by the intended audience - period. I know because I've written threads like this, had a great response in the beginning, and people never read them after that.

(see the sticky: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/42713-what-gi-list.html) (I've since abandoned any stock in the GI)

You need not pay attention to GI because your an anabolic pump whore:D Before this I was following splits I read in M & F. Far too many isolation movements. Now the execrcises I use to dread( deadlifts, squats, rows) I love. I'm getting a lot more out of the gym now. God I love AM! I can't believe all the time I wasted reading MH and M&F. I guess my point being atleast one person of the intended audience read this. Thanks again Neo! (people are gonna start thinking your my hero!)

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established

NEO:LOL I fail to see "Neo's constant faq on everything" if you are referring to the what 4 FAQ's in total that I have made? 4 is everything? Why does it bother you so, and why is it tedious for you? I would hazard to guess that you have alot of time on your hands and can spend as much of your life / time as you require to find the results you are looking for. For those that want no bvllsh!t answers and straightforward how to's then these hit the spot for myself and others. Thanks for the "valuable" compliment.

NEO: Interesting point of view but you are incorrect I am sorry to say. This will be read by all that need it when I provide a link to it. It's not something like a sticky that needs to be read by all beginners but purely for my use to hand out to those who need it. Those that don't ......don't get it :thumbsup:

NEO: You too bro. I admonish yourself and anyone else who doesn't like these just to not even click on them or respond. Live a peaceful life and pass on by the bs that frustrates you ;):dump:
My input in blue.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My input in blue.
No need to get butt-hurt Neo, just voicing my opinion. I'm sure the thought this won't get read bothers you, and that's fine, but it won't. The tediousness is seeing them, not in reading them.

Anyway, if it tickles your pickle keep making them.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Are there still any seats available for the 'Hide the salami' party ? I didn't get a chance to reserve my spot earlier.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
:bb3:
No need to get butt-hurt Neo, just voicing my opinion. I'm sure the thought this won't get read bothers you, and that's fine, but it won't. The tediousness is seeing them, not in reading them.

Anyway, if it tickles your pickle keep making them.
I'm not aware of the meaning of that phrase but I am not hurt by your response. I enjoy feedback good and bad. I for one appreciate you voicing your opinion this is what helps us as a community. I believe you may not have read my response to the "not getting read" concept as it appears you answered from your beliefs without reading what I actually wrote :D.

I gotcha on the seeing them, s'all good. If making these FAQ's help people, which I get many responses that imply they do, then my making them has served it's purpose and my pickle is tickled pink.

If my response sounds hurt and dejected this would be a false impression as I love to chat and do not let too much irritate me in my e-life.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:bb3:

I'm not aware of the meaning of that phrase but I am not hurt by your response. I enjoy feedback good and bad. I for one appreciate you voicing your opinion this is what helps us as a community. I believe you may not have read my response to the "not getting read" concept as it appears you answered from your beliefs without reading what I actually wrote :D.

I gotcha on the seeing them, s'all good. If making these FAQ's help people, which I get many responses that imply they do, then my making them has served it's purpose and my pickle is tickled pink.

If my response sounds hurt and dejected this would be a false impression as I love to chat and do not let too much irritate me in my e-life.
Okay.

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
Hello Guys,

Due to the amount of posts that we see here I have put together a very short basic guide that, to be honest if you delve a little deeper, will take you 2-3 years into building a solid foundation in the bodybuilding lifestyle. This is something that I post for new people or people needing general guidance. Do not let the brevity of this post fool you, there is literally the basics of all you will need for a long time!

Most importantly, if you have anything to add, or a correction is needed, please let me know! I am here to learn, just like you ;)

• Workout hard - There are many different workout regimes, many that work well. Generally: Strength training is in the 6 rep range / Bodybuilding in the 8-10 rep range. - Rep range warmup: 15 ( sets 1 & 2 ) Working: 10, 8, 6 last three sets add drop sets to failure )

• Fast Efficient Workouts = 1hr - This is not hard and fast but studies have shown that Cortisol rises after 1hr

• Protein shake immediately after workout and then protein meal with carbs etc within 1hr

• Daily meals - 5 - 6 day ( including shakes ) protein = 1g per pound of body weight. Meal 1 ( breakies ) is shake plus oatmeal or whatever else you want ( apple is good fibre / system crap mover ), Meal 6 is post workout shake with creatine etc and then solid food meal. Carbs tapered down from morning to evening and fats tapered up from morning to evening. Protein is a constant.

• Supps - Do you note the order in which these are and where supps come??? - a) Multivitamin / B complex b) Whey protein c) creatine e) Test boosters / stacks etc
~ Exercises ~
  • Squats - Biggest muscle and boosts test like crazy, work em hard and see results big time.

• Deadlifts / Chins / Bent over Rows / Pulldowns - 1st attempt either an palm up or palm down chin at the beginning of your back workout, if you can do one, try two, if you can do 15, add weight. Most important for back is to make the mind / muscle connection. Concentrate ( start with low weight and excellent form ) on getting a good contraction and not swinging with the weight. Calm controlled up down with good squeeze of lats at bottom of rep. All about the connection / squeeze

• Leg press

• Flat Bench Dumbell / Barbell - Always swap it up, it takes more muscle etc to do dumbells ( stabilizing muscles etc ) but switch it up - Start with dips to hit lower chest then move to flat bench / incline.

This should give you a good idea....Best thing for test.....squats ....good form, warm up well, be careful and grow!

Training Primer

The Training Information Vault (programs, exercises and more) - Bodybuilding.com Forums

as for the creatine, hows kre-alkalyn efx ??
or stick with cee or mono

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
as for the creatine, hows kre-alkalyn efx ??
or stick with cee or mono
Keyword: creatine

:gotsearch
1. Go to "Search"
2. Click on "Advanced Search"
3. Enter your search terms that you want to find threads on
4. Change the drop down to "Titles Only"
5. Click "Go"

You can use this method to find anything on these forums. You will be surprised how many people have discussed this topic before.

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
lol neo .. thanks alot man
jus read feedbacks on trenadrol/kre/pct

great function :bow28:

NerdFlexd

NerdFlexd

Awards
Great write up. Major props, i wish i had something like this 6 months ago.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Hello Guys,

~ Exercises ~

• Leg press

Training Primer

wait your telling me that when I start lifting/bbing I dont just go out and ask where to get steroids so I an get JACKED :aargh::aargh:!!!!!1

:hammer:

nice thread neo:clap2:

MuscleHeadGuy

Banned
Awards
I love reading your guides, neoborn. Very informative and very well-written. Thank you! Reps.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all your feedback guys! Mucho love.

rfu09

Awards
newbie here, just thought i'd pay the due respect man
this helping out alot!!

and for the pro's here that dont need neo's help, good on you, but please dont forget there are still noobs around which benefit from this ALOT, its handy to have it all in one place.

KEEP IT UP NEO!!

:goodpost:

-yorben

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I do :) Some love the FAQs and some reeeeeeeeeeeeally reaaaaaaaaally hate them :toofunny: oh well.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Woot.......bump this mothfocker I ain't give a fook!

RedDragon73

RedDragon73

Awards
Thanks

My first post.
Just wanted to say thanks. This stuff isn't just for teenagers. I'm 35 and just getting started. Some excellent info and the links were great too.