Huge Traps!!!

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Alright the other day I was at my local college. I went to workout with a couple of friends of mine. I always like going there because there is a good amount of really strong people. I was doing some back work, and some traps. I seen this guy doing shrugs seated on a bench. He was seating at the end of the bench, facing where the bar is racked. Then there was a bar on the ground, right behind him, he would let his back round a little, and pick the bar up. So the bar was behind him, and he started doing shrugs, real slow, with a thumbless grip. I asked him could I try them, and I did about 20 with 135. I got the worst burn in my traps ever, and today they are very sore. I was just wondering has anyone ever tried this exercise before??

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
People also don't realize how much Deadlifts destroy the traps too.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
No, they werent DB shrugs, he was using a bar, and it was behind the back. They worked about 10x better than any shrug I have ever done. Yes, I agree that deadlifts do make you traps bigger, but they make one trap larger than the other if you use a under hand grip. Mark

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, they werent DB shrugs, he was using a bar, and it was behind the back. They worked about 10x better than any shrug I have ever done. Yes, I agree that deadlifts do make you traps bigger, but they make one trap larger than the other if you use a under hand grip. Mark
We'll agree to disagree on this one and I think you meant over/under grip.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
yes, that's what I meant over/under hand grip. What dont you agree with not trying to pick a fight, just curious. Mark

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My traps are the only muscle i ever quit working every now and then from getting "too big"My shoulders are pretty good too,but traps will get "too big".........................so HA!

amadorian

Awards
Deads are still king for trap workouts it mainly about the range of motion and the stretch. Dumbell Shrugs I just don't get the weight or range of motion to get a good pull on the traps. I also like close grip upright rows.

tattoopierced1

i stay away from trap work as well.. they grow too easy.. i wish the rest of my muscles grew like my traps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Behind the back shrugs work well because most don't properly contract the trap while training. With the BtB grip, the trap has more tension on it and it is easier to bring the traps up and back for a proper contraction.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I do them - behind the neck shrugs (or whatever you want to call them).

I use half (or less) of the weight of a regular shrug.
Seems to help with the width of the trap more than the height.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like btb shrugs too.Thay emphasize the back of the traps more than regular shrugs.I and most people need to bring the back of their traps up.I have been doing btb (lee haney)shrugs one workout,then get on the chest supporterd row machine and shrug that way,where it's mainly,if not all the back of your traps working.Been seeing good results and am very happy,my traps are taking on a whole new full look

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
The biggest traps I ever had was from just doing heavy deadlifts :). I do like seated shrugs though!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
agreed. deads is a really sick trap workout.
i agree as well deads seem to be what has helped my trap growth the most

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
powerlifters have good traps,and you know they dont do any direct trap work

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
powerlifters have good traps,and you know they dont do any direct trap work
I train traps, and I am a power lifter. All these guys train traps. So I was wondering what drew you to the conclusion that power lifters don't train traps? Mark

Andy Bolton 1003 deadlift
Benedikt Magnusson 971
Konstantins Konstantinovs 948
Ed Coan 901 (heaviest sumo pull of all time.)

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
People also don't realize how much Deadlifts destroy the traps too.
exactly shrugs are a waste of time in my opinion, if u want your traps to grow deadlifts, specially with a snatch grip will rape the traps

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The biggest traps I ever had was from just doing heavy deadlifts :). I do like seated shrugs though!
listen up here.... LMD has some of the biggest traps Ive ever seen... that avi pic doesnt do them justice, although u r lookin good bro!

I only do DB shrugs, cant do deads as I have a bad lower back and barely even do squats now between my back and knees.

Ill have to try these behind the back seated shrugs. 135lbs eh? Ill start there I guess.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I train traps, and I am a power lifter. All these guys train traps. So I was wondering what drew you to the conclusion that power lifters don't train traps? Mark

Andy Bolton 1003 deadlift
Benedikt Magnusson 971
Konstantins Konstantinovs 948
Ed Coan 901 (heaviest sumo pull of all time.)
I thought all powerlifetrs do is bench,sq,and deads.Maybe variations of those,or things that are similar.I was reading one time how a powerlifter was talking s**t about a guy asking if he tried kickbacks,or something along those lines to increase tric strength to increase bench.He said what the hell would a 60lb db do that a 600Lb bb hasn't or wont do.I thought all pl do is heavy ass lifts and weird variations,like lockouts,board press,chains,bands,I had no clue they would do direct trap work.Their is an ex powerlifetr at my gym who tore a pec,and all i ever see him do is bench,flat,inc,and cardio,yet he has good traps,so i figured that came from deads,and a little from sq's.Sorry for the ignorance,i don't know much about powerlifetrs,other than all they care about is lifting heavy ass weights,or atleast that is how they are portrayed.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Power lifters do train assistance. But most of there energy goes into the main lift, the squat, bench, deadlift. The assistance they do is just to complement there main lift. They dont spend 30 minutes doing dumbbell flys bring up the outer portion of there chest. If they just benched they might do some triceps for strength, and recovery, then some forearms thats probably it. They're assistance is used to help them increase there core lift. If you do to much direct benching you'll get over trained, so you have to do some assistance. Hope that helps. Mark

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
Example-
Monday- Heavy squat, deadlift, GHR, shrugs.
Tuesday- Bench press, skull crushers, pressdowns, forearms.
Thursday- squat, deadlift. light weight. upper back work.
Firday- speed bench, and then lock out work. forearms

Mo250

Awards
rack deads hit them very hard. i like behind the back shrugs as well.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
When I'm feeling really lazy I like to do seated Deadlifts...:)

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I do them behind the back on the smith machine sometimes, but I do traps maybe twice a month because they grow to easy and huge traps make you look narrow.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised no one has even mentioned power cleans. By far (at least for me) the best exercise for traps I have ever done.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I'm surprised no one has even mentioned power cleans. By far (at least for me) the best exercise for traps I have ever done.
Completely agree.

Although they have to perform the exercise correctly ;). I see SOOOO many people doing every type of clean completely wrong.

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
The only trap exercises I've ever done until very recently were power cleans and upright rows, and I've got to say, my traps are by far my best body part. Overpoweringly so. I've just been doing behind the back shrugs and some db shrugs as of late to build more thickness on the back/trap/rhomboid tie ins because from the front they're almost TOO big.

I need to poney up some dough for a digital cam to show you what I mean but I keep dropping all my spare cash on food and supps :frustrate

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only trap exercises I've ever done until very recently were power cleans and upright rows, and I've got to say, my traps are by far my best body part. Overpoweringly so. I've just been doing behind the back shrugs and some db shrugs as of late to build more thickness on the back/trap/rhomboid tie ins because from the front they're almost TOO big.

I need to poney up some dough for a digital cam to show you what I mean but I keep dropping all my spare cash on food and supps :frustrate
Nice. I love huge traps

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Completely agree.

Although they have to perform the exercise correctly ;). I see SOOOO many people doing every type of clean completely wrong.
It takes time to perfect, but it's definitely worth it.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
The only thing I do for traps is dl...even just doing deads mine are un-proportionately large to the rest of me.