Question about deadlifts for a bodybuilder

  1. New Member
    drewh10987's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    30340
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    18.05%

    Question about deadlifts for a bodybuilder


    I have just recently started doing deadlifts and I have been pondering this for a while now. I'm sure I might just be over analyzing this but I wanted to get some opinions. I'm mainly talking to the bodybuilders out there. Do you pull with an alternating grip or a hook grip (both hands over). The reason I ask is because I wonder if it works your back differently depending on how you grip the bar. So in other words I wonder if an overhand grip works your back differently than an underhand grip, leading to imbalances. Just something I've been thinking about. I can easily pull all my weights with an alternating grip but with a hook grip requires wraps, limiting the work on my forearms. I guess I could alternate which hand is over and which is under from week to week, but only one way feels natural, but I guess it's something I would get use to. Just want some ideas. Thanks guys, sorry about the long post.

  2. Senior Member
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39389
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    60%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    hey man, you could develop some imbalances if you didn't switch up which hand you had under.. If you switch it from week to week i'm sure you would be fine.. Ive always found that a hook grip lets me feel a more even distribution of weight across my back, but i typically can't pull as much.. it really comes down to personal preference..
  3. Advanced Member
    JDF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    346
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    40.61%

    I personally like to use a 'hook' type of grip with straps. I have issues with my right wrist from when I fractured it so my ROM isnt very good to be able to use the alternating grip and have any strength to hold onto the bar.

    I over used straps for a couple of years now and I am trying to use them only when I deadlift now because of how weak my forearms are.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    drewh10987's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    30340
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    18.05%

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by JDF View Post
    I personally like to use a 'hook' type of grip with straps. I have issues with my right wrist from when I fractured it so my ROM isnt very good to be able to use the alternating grip and have any strength to hold onto the bar.

    I over used straps for a couple of years now and I am trying to use them only when I deadlift now because of how weak my forearms are.
    See the only reason I worry about using a hook is the fact that I'll have to use straps for the heavier sets which will rob my forearms of some serious work. I think what I might do is try using an alternating grip here for the next few weeks but switching which hand is over and which hand is under each week. If it feels too unnatural I think I'll just go to a hook grip and use straps as needed.
  5. Advanced Member
    JDF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    346
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    40.61%

    I'd go that route, when doing SLDL's I use an alternating grip and I feel much different through the movement ( as opposed to a hooked type of grip )
  6. Senior Member
    LilPsychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Power
    904
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    91.05%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by drewh10987 View Post
    I have just recently started doing deadlifts and I have been pondering this for a while now. I'm sure I might just be over analyzing this but I wanted to get some opinions. I'm mainly talking to the bodybuilders out there. Do you pull with an alternating grip or a hook grip (both hands over). The reason I ask is because I wonder if it works your back differently depending on how you grip the bar. So in other words I wonder if an overhand grip works your back differently than an underhand grip, leading to imbalances. Just something I've been thinking about. I can easily pull all my weights with an alternating grip but with a hook grip requires wraps, limiting the work on my forearms. I guess I could alternate which hand is over and which is under from week to week, but only one way feels natural, but I guess it's something I would get use to. Just want some ideas. Thanks guys, sorry about the long post.

    I use a mixed grip, because it keeps the spine straight. I just make sure I rotate which hand is over and under to keep things even.
  7. Advanced Member
    bound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    786
    Rep Power
    493
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    9.24%

    I LOVE DEADLIFTING. now that that is out of the way....

    I've always used an overhand grip, no straps, when doing working sets. When I go for a max rep every month or so, I still use the overhand grip, but with straps. I tried using an alternate grip for a month or so a while back, switching every week, but it never really felt right, so I stopped. I've always had stupid grip strength for my bodyweight, though, so overhand works for me.

    I've always thought that 90% of all bodybuilder's forearms looked funny cause they're too small compared to their upper arms, and the deadlifting helps there.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  8. Senior Member
    datBtrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    842
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    57.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by drewh10987 View Post
    ...See the only reason I worry about using a hook is the fact that I'll have to use straps for the heavier sets which will rob my forearms of some serious work. ...
    Deadlifts are for building your back NOT your forearms. Do what allows you to move the most weight without worrying about whether your grip will fail.

    You will still use plenty of forearm even w/ the straps...they will remain under constant tension throughout the movement & the straps aid the grip they don't eliminate it.

    Anyway truly massive forearms are built in a vareity of ways but primarily w/ direct work.
  9. New Member
    DBinMD's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    60
    Posts
    372
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    69.23%

    I try to deadlift every other back wo. I like using the both overhand hook method because Iíve known men that have ruptured their bicep tendon this way. For me itís not worth it. Strength is a major concern for me (not quite a BB or PL somewhere in between) but in this case the few added pounds is not worth it.

    DB
  10. Advanced Member
    bound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    786
    Rep Power
    493
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    9.24%

    Talking


    Quote Originally Posted by DBinMD View Post
    I try to deadlift every other back wo. I like using the both overhand hook method because Iíve known men that have ruptured their bicep tendon this way. For me itís not worth it. Strength is a major concern for me (not quite a BB or PL somewhere in between) but in this case the few added pounds is not worth it.

    DB
    wait, you use the overhand becauseyou want to rupture a biceps?

    kidding, just wondering which you mean.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  11. New Member
    drewh10987's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    30340
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    18.05%

    Overhand is much safer as far as bicep injuries are concerned.
  12. goslamacamel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%

    I used to only use overhand and the poundage suffered a lot. Changed to mixed grip, never use straps or anything, and shot up to around 325x4 from maybe 225x4 very quickly. I attribute this to more easily focusing on the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to the searing pain in my fingers and forearms. Deadlifts are for posterior chain development, not wrist or lats. I believe grip position only affects muscle development if it were a lat-based movement. When I try back to overhand grip every now and then, I notice nothing abnormal besides my fingers simply letting go after 1-2 reps with heavier weight. Therefore I must conclude that mixed grip or overhand grip has no effect on balanced/unbalanced muscle development if you're doing the movement the way it was meant to be done -- focused on the posterior chain.
  13. New Member
    drewh10987's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    30340
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    18.05%

    Quote Originally Posted by goslamacamel View Post
    I used to only use overhand and the poundage suffered a lot. Changed to mixed grip, never use straps or anything, and shot up to around 325x4 from maybe 225x4 very quickly. I attribute this to more easily focusing on the glutes and hamstrings as opposed to the searing pain in my fingers and forearms. Deadlifts are for posterior chain development, not wrist or lats. I believe grip position only affects muscle development if it were a lat-based movement. When I try back to overhand grip every now and then, I notice nothing abnormal besides my fingers simply letting go after 1-2 reps with heavier weight. Therefore I must conclude that mixed grip or overhand grip has no effect on balanced/unbalanced muscle development if you're doing the movement the way it was meant to be done -- focused on the posterior chain.
    It sounds as if you didn't use straps though with your overhand grip. With straps you can easily handle just as much weight as you can with an alternating grip. I'm doing deads tomorrow and I will be using an overhand grip and straps. Thanks for all the replies guys.
  14. Professional Member
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    5604
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    overhand + straps is def the way to go imo.

    you know, in case you needed more convincing.
  15. New Member
    DBinMD's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    60
    Posts
    372
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    69.23%

    Quote Originally Posted by bound View Post


    wait, you use the overhand becauseyou want to rupture a biceps?

    kidding, just wondering which you mean.
    My bad, posted without triple checking. Ruptured biceps have been associated with underhanded grips. Not that it's real common, I just don't feel the need to take that risk. I use overhanded to reduce the risk. One more thing, I find staps indespensible.

    Thanks for the catch.

    DB
    Last edited by DBinMD; 02-09-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: One more thing
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM
  2. question about pct for methyl 1-d..help!
    By LiLShAnK357 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM
  3. Question about PCT for winni
    By pitt6691 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 03:45 AM
  4. 2 questions about deadlift/racklift
    By MoTiV in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 02:52 AM
  5. Question about cardio for burning fat.
    By 5111 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in