how to get a big neck?

swanee609

swanee609

Awards
my old gym had a machine for ur neck and now im a member of a new gym and they have nothin what can i do at home or at the gym for my neck? thanks swanee

vision

Deadlifting, Shrugs, Upright Rows.
These have done nothing for my neck. I think some people like myself need very direct neck work. I've been on a mass program and have gone from under 160 to 185 and my neck hasn't grown at all. It can be very annoying.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The proximal insertion point of your traps begin at C1 (your neck) and inserts distally in the middle of your thoracic spine. People always differentiate the neck from the traps, it's the same muscle group, but at a different region of that same muscle group. You can't stimulate the upper traps without stimulating the proximal insertion point (C1-C7).

Shrugs ARE pretty direct, either you simply don't respond well to hypertrophy of the neck or you're not using enough weight. Deads, Shrugs and upright rows, like the guy recommended before me are great exercises for big, thick, elevated traps, given you lift with enough weight and at the right sets & reps.

My workout partner can shrug 405lbs just as efficiently as I can, but my traps are much more prominent. I simply respond much better in terms of hypertrophy.

How long have you been working for neck size?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like a reverse push up. Lay on your back, lift your midsection/chest toward the ceiling. You should come completely off the ground, supporting yourself with your head/neck. It's more of a static strength movement, which will have a primary effect on strength vs hypertrophy. Wrestlers and Jiu Jitsu guys do this all the time.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Having very prominent traps can take away from the illusion of shoulder width.

Brolic

Brolic

Banned
Awards
  • Established
they sell a type of head gear that attaches to a weight like a dip belt that u wear on ur head

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I think neck size just generally increases with body size, if you put on 20lbs then your neck will get larger. I really have never seen a muscular guy with a puny neck.

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifting, Shrugs, Upright Rows.
:bb3: Emphasis on the deadlifts IMO. Heavy. Also try a few cleans, I know they aren't hypertrophy specific but mine always seem bigger when I do them often.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
my old gym had a machine for ur neck and now im a member of a new gym and they have nothin what can i do at home or at the gym for my neck? thanks swanee
Who the hell wants a big neck, thats the one part of my body that I don't want to get big, I think it really gives the dumb football jock look. But if you must, there are those cloth helmets with the chains hanging from them, yeah the ones that look like they're from the set of silence of the lambs, yeah those ones. You can attach weight to them, and do, I don't know, neck curls? I never use them, they look like too much unessesary pain, and really like some kind of S&M torture device.