What kind of gloves (or not) do you use?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I bought a new set of workout gloves today at Dicks, and was wondering what everyone else uses. I got the Harbinger leather with wrist wrap

cause i'm an old wuss who spends all day at a computer so I need my wrists.

i ran a search, and there aren't many threads about gloves here.

S

SupFatHead

Certified Travis
Awards
I just tape my wrists. Soft hands are for girls. :twisted:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gloves are the 'gheyest' thing ever.

Seriously though, I have never used them. Is your issue calluses Easy, or do you just prefer gloves to straps and/or chalk?

Personally, I'm with the guy above me. Chalk and tape is a great combo for grip and stability for me.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I wear gloves w/ wrist wraps as well...maybe I shouldn't anymore. Callouses be damned.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wrap my wrists and use wrist straps, but no gloves.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gloves are the 'gheyest' thing ever.

Seriously though, I have never used them. Is your issue calluses Easy, or do you just prefer gloves to straps and/or chalk?

Personally, I'm with the guy above me. Chalk and tape is a great combo for grip and stability for me.
calluses mostly - mine tend to grow then break up, and its uncomfortable when that happens.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
I have not used anything yet. Occasionally, I do get a minor tear from the callouses, which may hinder me from pushing further. I was planning on a pair of batting or football gloves, so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I prefer calluses.

Here is a good tutorial on callous 'maintenance':

Calluses

The other stuff on his site is damn cool too. He's a strong dude.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I prefer calluses.

Here is a good tutorial on callous 'maintenance':

Calluses

The other stuff on his site is damn cool too. He's a strong dude.
Awsome, f*ck gloves then, I reckon I'll grab me a pumice stone. Great find X.

J

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
Chalk, tape as needed, possibly (but probably not) wrist straps for heavy bench presses. I would think my grip would go to hell with gloves, never tried em though.
I used to bleed all over the place ripping my calluses off doing cleans and snatches, just throw some tape on em and go.
My thoughts are usually along the lines of this: If every part of my body isn't ready to do a lift then I shouldn't do it. If I can't even hold on to the bar how can I say I cleaned it, or did 30 pullups, or rowed it, ect, ect, ect.

Edit: I'm not in this to try and be a bodybuilder, different strokes for different folks as always.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I don't wear gloves. I actually like my callouses. They come in handy when doing actual work. I am thinking of getting wrist wraps however since I'm starting to do certain forms that put more strain on my wrists. I have never had a problem with my callouses breaking. They seem pretty dense and compressed into my hands and bottom of my fingers.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You've never had a problem because you don't lift enough.

:rasp:;)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I buy matching gloves, wristbands, and a sweat band...preferably neon colors.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well buy is incorrect, I think borrow is the operative word in this case. Borrow from 'me' is more specific. You also left out that Pat Robinson fanny pack.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Cotton Straps for grip if needed. I push till it takes away from my lifting or focus. I have horrid calluses, from BMXing for awhile and then right into lifting.
I went the longest time without anything and then it seemed one day it just gave on me, i cant handle to much weight anymore, but i have small hands.

I tried my friends gloves before, they sucked. I am goin to get wrist straps soon prolly only for benching.

I need to buy a belt too but im to lazy and broke.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just chalk and a belt for me.

I probably should use straps, but I became overdependent on them back in the day and I think they contributed to massive forearm splints. Now, they just mess with my head too much and I start focusing on keeping the damn straps tight instead of everything else.

TOYFORDOLET

TOYFORDOLET

Awards
  • Established
No gloves, I love my calluses, theyre like built-in gloves.

B

Bobaslaw

Awards
  • Established
Be careful what kind of gloves you choose!

These gloves gave me GYNO as I did not realize they required proper PCT. Letro is a must when running these gloves.
You have been warned!

:)

Attachments

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
calluses mostly - mine tend to grow then break up, and its uncomfortable when that happens.
do you dislike calluses?

i noticed that using lotion RIGHT after a workout on your hands
prevents any calluses.

i've been doing this for a year already and no calluses to date.
no gloves btw either.

sp33dkillz

sp33dkillz

Awards
I use gloves just for the wrist wraps. My wrists kill me when i bench otherwise. I presently use the valeo gloves, but I've gone through quite a few pairs of those. The ones you have there look to be well put together.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
No gloves, no wraps. I love my callouses. I can't avoid them, anyway, between work, weightlifting, and rockclimbing( if you want full hand callouses, this is how you get em). I have always just sanded them down to keep them from ripping off. I just use whatever's handy; emery board, sandpaper, file.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I buy matching gloves, wristbands, and a sweat band...preferably neon colors.
...wow...there is no end to the awsome in that statement. :toofunny:

J

jwreels

Awards
I just use chalk and occasionally some wrist wraps from APT. I was never a fan of gloves. I just never felt like I had good control of the weight.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I wrap my wrists and use wrist straps, but no gloves.
Same. I used to wear gloves, but I would keep losing them. No gloves feel a lot better. I only use lifting straps for chins and wraps for boxing, other than that bare handed. Your palms get used to it after a while. A good moisturiser helps too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same. I used to wear gloves, but I would keep losing them. No gloves feel a lot better. I only use lifting straps for chins and wraps for boxing, other than that bare handed. Your palms get used to it after a while. A good moisturiser helps too.
I use chalk from time to time to increase my grip or if I leave my straps at home.

N

npinto1

Awards
These gloves gave me GYNO as I did not realize they required proper post cycle therapy. Letro is a must when running these gloves.
You have been warned!

:)
hahaha very vreative :goodpost:

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
I use gloves, not sure why everyone wants callous's.

R

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Lifting straps only, and that's for heavy back work. Other than that, nothing else. Wrist wraps contrain my wrist too much and seem to aggravate the problem even more.

Gloves provide too much instability and inadequate grip.

for callouses, I'm guessing no one else does this, but I take a cuticle remover and cut out the chunks of skin right below at the base of the fingers. This leaves holes for a day or 2 then my hands look normal again. If my callouses get too large it becomes painful gripping bars.

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
CHALK :twisted:

Although Ronnie Coleman uses gloves, and I wouldn't say anything to him about it haha

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
No gloves here! Just chalk when I need it. Once in a while, I will use straps when doing very heavy rowing. I don't like to use them too much either, cause I like to build my grip strength as well.

BillFinkbiner

BillFinkbiner

Awards
  • Established
I use the same gloves in the 1st post. I didn't for the longest time, but the combination of my small wrists and the fact that my callouses were really starting hurt like hell drove me to them. I like them a lot especially the wrist wraps.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I use these gloves too. I need the wrist support.
My hands get beat up enough from rock climbing/bouldering.

I bought a new set of workout gloves today at Dicks, and was wondering what everyone else uses. I got the Harbinger leather with wrist wrap

cause i'm an old wuss who spends all day at a computer so I need my wrists.

i ran a search, and there aren't many threads about gloves here.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
I have never worn gloves, but I have used wrist wraps, and alot of chalk. The other day I seen a guy do 405 for 2 on the bench, and he had rags in his hand. I asked him why he does that, and he told me that the bar presses into his hands, and pinches nevers. I told him becareful because the bar didnt have alot of knurling, and the rags could slip, causing him to loose grip. He told me "I dont take advice from someone smaller, and weaker then me." So I guess gloves could be useful in some ways. Mark

S

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
No gloves for me, I take pride in my man hands and my callouses.

I did see this kid (ok, probably 19) at my gym that comes in with a hoodie, a grey beanie, and wears gardening gloves to lift. Not very big, but well defined.

His gloves looked about like these:

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I have never worn gloves, but I have used wrist wraps, and alot of chalk. The other day I seen a guy do 405 for 2 on the bench, and he had rags in his hand. I asked him why he does that, and he told me that the bar presses into his hands, and pinches nevers. I told him becareful because the bar didnt have alot of knurling, and the rags could slip, causing him to loose grip. He told me "I dont take advice from someone smaller, and weaker then me." So I guess gloves could be useful in some ways. Mark

This is one of the reasons I built a gym in my basement, I can't stand dealing with a@@holes like that. God forbid someone tries to look out for the well being of someone else.

I don't wear gloves...never liked the grip I got when I tried them. I've used wrist wraps in the past when my wrist acts up on me. Other than that I use Wrist straps on deadlifts.

Strange enough, I don't have any calouses...I'll blame it on the number of years I've been married and my heavy use of lotions.

At the end of the day, you have to do what makes you comfortable and f*ck what everyone else thinks.

typeOnegative

typeOnegative

Awards
no gloves here and only use straps when doing heavy pulling movements