Muscle Memory... Once An Animal, Alwyas An Animal??

Carbocation

Carbocation

Awards
ya i have been working out on and off since 94... most of those years i was a hard gainer (could be cuz i didnt know what i was doing)... but over the years i have slowly gotten bigger, now i am an easy gainer - fat and muscle (i'm 32 now).

each time i have stopped, for like a year or more at a time, i go back into the gym... and within like 3 or 4 months most of what i lost is back... and i gain even more... seems easier to gain to cuz i feel stronger...

well... this last time around... i have put on like 50lbs in a year (i used a weight gainer)... no kidding, no stretch marks either... ya i am a little fat - 12/15%bf - but i keep getting more swole!!!

my problem thought is... people at school are giving my that look... like i am on something... which i am not (i guess now i am if you count the m-drol i started 5 days ago)... anyone have experience this situation??

if so how do you deal people thinking your juicing when you arent??

thanks!!!

:whiner:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Rule #1 in my book: Don't care what other people think. You know what you are and aren't taking. If they're going to judge you without knowing a thing about you then f- them.

If anything, people thinking you're juicing and whatnot, that's kind of a compliment, allbeit 2-faced.

My friend takes it as a compliment when gay people say he looks attractive. A little weird to me but it works for him I suppose.

Carbocation

Carbocation

Awards
Well you dont have to worry about that anymore, because now you are...:rolleyes:
ROFLMAO!!! :cheers:

thanks man - good one... carefull before i start havin a roid rage!!! :saw:

serioulsy though... anybody know much about muscle memory??

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
The real problem is trying to hide that you are juiced out of your mind.Every time i cycle i keep a sh*t load of supps on hand so people ask what your taking and you show them 10 bottles of different stuff to explain that 25 lbs you have put on...haha...It works with the ignorant, keeo creatine on hand and blame it on water weight...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if so how do you deal people thinking your juicing when you arent??

thanks!!!
I dont even think about it. and if they do say its a real compliment to me because I am natural and it just goes to show my work ethic.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
in too blame EVERYTHING on creatine. works great... and i too have had a 6 year run and have had 6 month breaks in between there bout 3 times.... when i come back into it i always gain back what i lost within a month or two and a cycle later i get a bit further ahead, like the break gave me a chance to increase my potential.

this last time though was right when i met my wife.... well she found me when i wasnt just on a break i was really low in life and dropped all the way down to 145lbs again, looked like i was tweaking when i had really had bronchitis for 2 months.... well i got back up to 195 within 5 months and had her aunt, mother and grandparents wondering if i was taking steroids.... i totally was but when my wife asked what to tell them i first sent her a pic of what i used to look like to her cell to show AND second told her to say i was taking creatine and weight gainers and spent half my paycheck at GNC.... works like a charm.

so seriously if people get stupid it comes in handy having a pic with a date on it where you were just ask big, and if they are smart try to explain muscle memory otherwise use the magic word.... creatine.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes thats esactly what im talking about ...Intense training, Diet, 4,000 cals to pack on the pounds, Getting adaquate sleep, and supplementaion are all a must to get as big as you can.

Now to break supplementaion sown
1. you dont want to overdo it-Like take twenty things at once

2. You dont want to underdo it(If you have the money of course, yes this sport is costly)

Carbocation

Carbocation

Awards
going from this... (one year ago)

to this... (present / one week into FIRST m-drol /anabolic cycle)

i get most of my muscle back in the first few months of getting back into the gym... thats when i get the most looks... now people are REALLY starting to trip out... few of my friends are like DAMN... this summer is gonna be the best one i have had in years!!

:bb:

...blame it on the creatine... i like that!!

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
It's not really memory...I know people call it muscle memory but it isn't because all your unused and unsaturated muscle cells need to 'plump up' is intense exercise and carbs (some protein wouldn't hurt either).

Same thing goes for other tissue types in the body, like adipose cells. Ever heard some whiney mofo moaning about how hard it is not to be fat or that they just can't stay thin/in shape once they reach it?
1)They ain't consistent in their diet to stay in shape but...
2)Adipose cells still lurk under the skin and, like muscle, adipose cells can quiet easily (in fact it is easier) be fueled and return to their previous size.

D

dahbuldee

Awards
It's not really memory...I know people call it muscle memory but it isn't because all your unused and unsaturated muscle cells need to 'plump up' is intense exercise and carbs (some protein wouldn't hurt either).
This is interesting. So you're suggesting that the number of muscle cells stays pretty much constant during a long layoff and that what really happen is they lose volume?

That would make a lot of sense. I've had similar experience: 10 years of on-off natural lifting and each time I start up it seems like the muscles come back quicker and stronger.

Nice to know all that hard work is still paying off!

T

tattoopierced1

i like messing with people and tell them they are missing out on the best protein ever by not eating bugs.. easy as installing a bug zapper and collecting at the end of the day and downing for a good meal..

you gotta love the looks you get after trying to explain this to some dope.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I bounce back and forth lbm-wise all the time. It does seem to get easier to the point where I don't even use ph's much anymore.

Part of it is that I am more laid back about it because I know I can gain back lost muscle fairly easy. Years ago I would freak if I couldn't eat right or train for awhile..now I know better.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is interesting. So you're suggesting that the number of muscle cells stays pretty much constant during a long layoff and that what really happen is they lose volume?

That would make a lot of sense. I've had similar experience: 10 years of on-off natural lifting and each time I start up it seems like the muscles come back quicker and stronger.

Nice to know all that hard work is still paying off!
This is what happens your entire life. The amount of muscle cells you have are genetically pre-defined and that number is usually reached by puberty or shortly thereafter.

:)

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is what happens your entire life. The amount of muscle cells you have are genetically pre-defined and that number is usually reached by puberty or shortly thereafter.

:)
no. thats not the case. each time the muscle is torn it can create a new cell. once that cell is created though you will always have it (unless you get a degenerative msucle disease) but it can atrophy and shrink. Thats why muscle memory makes for such great returns and then easier new gains, as you are reinflating old cells your at the same time tearing and creating new ones that also get inflated along the way, making the return from each rest period a chance to make new gains and break previous plateaus.

You learn this in basic biology in college.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
no. thats not the case. each time the muscle is torn it can create a new cell. once that cell is created though you will always have it (unless you get a degenerative msucle disease) but it can atrophy and shrink. Thats why muscle memory makes for such great returns and then easier new gains, as you are reinflating old cells your at the same time tearing and creating new ones that also get inflated along the way, making the return from each rest period a chance to make new gains and break previous plateaus.

You learn this in basic biology in college.
Really, then we are taking different biology courses, and people have been wasting their money on IGF.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought IGF just speeds the process considerably that happens naturally anyhow.
No, it induces hyperplasia whereas only hypertrophy occurs naturally.

Benign hyperplasiastic growth can occur in smooth muscle, but it does not normally occur in skeletal muscle. It is also sometimes a sign of cancerous growth.

There are theories that stress can induce hyperplasia, but I'm still undecided.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
alright well I stand corrected!.... although I could have sworn I was taught to the contrary though, the only thing I can figure was I didnt know that this divided cell growth just STOPPED when your outta puberty... still kinda out to the park on that one.

I thought thats why big time body builders will just take months of off time to break new plateaus as well, since it allowed for new muscle growth by producing new cells... again its very likely Im wrong but Id like to wee a study of written proof to the contrary if you knew where to get it. Not to be controversial but for the sake of learning so I dont make the same mistake on the future and can base my statements on factual studies.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, numbers of fat cells and muscle cells are pre-determined except under unusual circumstances..ie IGF-1 and tearing.

It's the same with many of cells/tissues in the body. In the case of cornea..they're the same exact cells you were born with except they change shape a little as we age.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yep, numbers of fat cells and muscle cells are pre-determined except under unusual circumstances..ie IGF-1 and tearing.

It's the same with many of cells/tissues in the body. In the case of cornea..they're the same exact cells you were born with except they change shape a little as we age.
Wait you said tearing.... isnt that exatly what happens to your muscles when you hit them real hard???

I mean I may be off here, but this is how I thought it worked all along, muscles can grow in two ways, growth of the muscle cells itself and division of the muscles cell during repairs from tearing, and doesnt that happen everytime you work out?

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
This is cool, I was about to start a thread about this very topic.

I trained religiously for 6 years, until shift work and starting a family ran me out of the gym. Then I injured my spine and I had been away from training for nearly a decade now.

I just started training again, in an effort to reduce pain, and not only is that working, but I noticed that my muscles are coming back a lot quicker than I had expected. My strength is increasing exponentially, and although I am not going to break any personal best tomorrow it seems as though it won't take very long to get there.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait you said tearing.... isnt that exatly what happens to your muscles when you hit them real hard???

I mean I may be off here, but this is how I thought it worked all along, muscles can grow in two ways, growth of the muscle cells itself and division of the muscles cell during repairs from tearing, and doesnt that happen everytime you work out?
You damage your myofibres when you work out, you don't sever them completely.