Squat

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.48%

Squat

Do I HAVE to squat in order to put on mass......solid mass....enough to compete?

Question arises because my knees are 100% shot...I'd love to squat, but the weight would be so light, wondering if it would be worth it

I mean, I bench, deadlift, clean, high pull...I train hard and heavy, just at 6'3 and a former triatholoist....it kills me...

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.7%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

If it's that big of an issue I think you can do leg press instead. You lose some of the benefits of the squat but it's still a good exercise. Possibly also include an exercise for your glutes. I get a burn in my glutes from squats that just isn't there when I'm doing leg press. I'm sure you'll get more advice from the fellas but that's my 2 cents.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.48%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    If it's that big of an issue I think you can do leg press instead. You lose some of the benefits of the squat but it's still a good exercise. Possibly also include an exercise for your glutes. I get a burn in my glutes from squats that just isn't there when I'm doing leg press. I'm sure you'll get more advice from the fellas but that's my 2 cents.
    I want to squat and I used to squat.....just the pain, crackeling and weakness in m knees SUCKS! I mean, sure, I could squat now, with like 135, but is there a point??? What about hammer assisted squats, smith machine,

I know I could gain just as much mass from hacks and leg press + lunges......no?
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.7%

I'm not a trainer but I really don't see squatting as being a good idea if your knees are in as bad a shape are you're describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jocson, P.T., M.S., O.C.S., C.S.C.S., owner of Jocson Strength & Conditioning, in Howard Beach, N.Y.
    "The squat is perhaps the most effective weight-training exercise for total-body development...The legs may be moving the body, but it takes a stable trunk and strong upper body to provide a foundation in which the legs can produce force. This is especially true when you start adding weights to your squats. Whether it be a back squat, front squat, split squat or overhead squat, many muscles of your whole body work in concert in order to lower and raise your center of gravity."
    You could squat with light weight I suppose but I'd keep it light weight. You really won't be gaining any mass from that but it would help the rest of your body develop regarding stability. I'd say stick with the other exercises like leg press and whatnot for mass.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.48%

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    I'm not a trainer but I really don't see squatting as being a good idea if your knees are in as bad a shape are you're describing.

You could squat with light weight I suppose but I'd keep it light weight. You really won't be gaining any mass from that but it would help the rest of your body develop regarding stability. I'd say stick with the other exercises like leg press and whatnot for mass.
    THANKS...so it's possible to gain mass, without?
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.7%

I don't see why not. I was able to make good gains in my legs doing all the lower body exercises except squats. I didn't start squatting until recently(apprehension about proper form/lack of spotter/etc)
    WHITE WHALE!
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Do whatever you can do and no you don't have to squat to build leg mass. Squats are more important to athletes or powerlifters. Besides you'll be fine because your back is still getting hit from deadlifts and cleans. One thing you may want to add in to get the hamstrings is good mornings. When I used to go to the gym I did hacks, leg presses, and extensions and my legs grew faster than they do now. Now I only do barbell and dumbell exercises for my legs since I train at home and its not as effective for leg size. Not a concern to me though as I train for strength.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squating problems b/c of knee & other problems - help
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
  2. Bench/Squat max
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
  3. Squats
    By workinit in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 08:26 PM
  4. squats and deads, placement in split?
    By dbag333 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 05:53 PM
  5. What does it mean if, when doing squats, your lower back hurts?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 02:52 AM