how do you get your bowling ball delts?

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
i feel my delts are my weakest part on my body and by improving them i can greatly increase my appearance, im currently experimenting with behind the back cable side raises (a routine jay cutler uses) so i though id give that a try. what do you use to make those delts grow!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Heavy Presses.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
i feel my delts are my weakest part on my body and by improving them i can greatly increase my appearance, im currently experimenting with behind the back cable side raises (a routine jay cutler uses) so i though id give that a try. what do you use to make those delts grow!
If that's you in the picture, then wtf. Your delts are the most dominant muscle I can see.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
yes those are my delts from when i was 215 im trying to get back there ( im at 185 now) and i have lost my way lol, no but on a serious note i just like experimenting with new techniques and trying out new things.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Widegrip upright rows mainly.and side lateral movements for the side lateral head which makes them appear the widest

also Presses, Arnold presses. etc

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Different variations of Lateral raises and also hit the rear delts hard. So many meatheads in the gym have monster anterior delts but everything else sucks a$$. If you want a nice round cap hit all the muslces in the shoulder including rotator cuff.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
don't the sword pulls and or axe chops do pretty well for rotator cuff?

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
don't the sword pulls and or axe chops do pretty well for rotator cuff?
i have weak rotator cuffs and id like to do something that makes them stronger but when i try both these it feels like im bout to pull my arms out of my socket, although standing rows strengthened them considerably during my last run and made all my shoulder exersices much easier because i felt as though stronger rear delts held my arm in the socket better\

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Face pulls. I love face pulls. Do em every other day for a week or two, then just work them in. They do wonders for your rotators. They hit your lateral and posterior delts in a very different way than any other exercise. Try doing them with different grip angles. You can pull back with the tricep rope and end the movement with the backs of your hands facing your ears with your elbows pointing back. You can vary it all the way out to where your palms are facing forwards, and you're sort of stretching the ends of the rope away from one another, trying to end the movement with your arms up like goalposts. Most times you'll hear people say not to go heavy, but I've tried them all ways, and heavy on face pulls is fun as hell. You get to the point where you need to start the movement with your whole body leaning back at about forty-five degrees. It takes some concentration to not use your bodyweight to assist the movement, but that's not too hard to figure out.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
i have weak rotator cuffs and id like to do something that makes them stronger but when i try both these it feels like im bout to pull my arms out of my socket, although standing rows strengthened them considerably during my last run and made all my shoulder exersices much easier because i felt as though stronger rear delts held my arm in the socket better\
What weight are you using? I train my rear delts often like rehab... It helps, everything but the ego. :)

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What weight are you using? I train my rear delts often like rehab... It helps, everything but the ego. :)
i was using i think 60lbs on a curl bar.... and 70lbs on a cable set at the floor as well.... i went a lil higher then that i belive but that was my typical working weight.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Olympic lifts will work wonders

I'm also a huge fan of leaving the ego at the door when it comes to lateral raises. I often see people doing them, and they look like a pteradactyl on crack. Unfortunately, the lack of correct form makes this wonderful shoulder exercise just like every other shoulder exercise, which only targets the front delts (boo). Use light weight and a slow motion to focus more on proper form than anything else:

Proper form for lateral raises:
-Elbows should be relatively straight (not locked) and always point to the side (never behind).
-Back should be straight
-The palms of your hands should ALWAYS face behind you. (that's probably the biggest mistake people make)

I recommend switching it up between using dumbbells and using low cables.

To ensure proper form with the cables, try not using a handle attachment, instead grabbing the cable so that the carabeaner rests behind the outside (pinky side) of your fist.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
For me:

Seated Military Press
Clean and Press
Arnolds
One Arm Lateral Raises
Bent over laterals

Both my brother and I got hit with pretty bad cases of shoulder impingement a few years ago, and I think it was going too deep and too heavy on the Military, along with just overtraining delts in an effort to strengthen what is our weakest muscle group.

After about 3 years of constant rotator cuff work and treating my delts with kid gloves, I'm finally back to seeing some real development and it feels like freakin' Christmas.

One thing that really helped me out was performing rotator cuff warm up movements before every upper body workout, and also warming up with 10 minutes of mid intensity cardio everytime Im at the gym. The cardio gets your blood moving, which really helps out a joint like the shoulder which has so many interwoven strands of connective tissue that blood flow can be restricted - which leads to injury.

Finally, Ive split my shoulder workout over the week - Military presses on leg day, Arnolds on Arm day, Side delts on chest day and rear delts after my back workout, with only 3 sets of 10 reps each. It's worked wonders - my delts stay pumped all week, and Im not doing enough shoulder volume in one workout to lead to that deep burning pain that Im sure some of you are all to familar with.

BV

tattoopierced1

arnolds, military presses, and alot of rear delt work.. When I started incorporating rear delts, I noticed a great improvement in the size and shape of my delts overall.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
One quick tip is the delts are often a mixed bowl of muscle fiber types. That means it can be beneficial to hit them with a wide range of reps, like 6, 12, and 25+

How you do that with a combo of presses, delt raises, etc is up to you. There's a lot of possibilities with that.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Finally, Ive split my shoulder workout over the week - Military presses on leg day, Arnolds on Arm day, Side delts on chest day and rear delts after my back workout, with only 3 sets of 10 reps each. It's worked wonders - my delts stay pumped all week, and Im not doing enough shoulder volume in one workout to lead to that deep burning pain that Im sure some of you are all to familar with.
This is a fresh idea! I have never seen this type of split before...but it sure sounds effective. Thanks for sharing this bro...I may try this out myself.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
This is a fresh idea! I have never seen this type of split before...but it sure sounds effective. Thanks for sharing this bro...I may try this out myself.
Give it a try! I always knew my poor shoulder strength was holding back my bench, and after I started training delts like this, my bench press started going up. My Military Press is finally starting to not be embarassing too:)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

BV

Great idea BV

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Face pulls. I love face pulls. Do em every other day for a week or two, then just work them in. They do wonders for your rotators. They hit your lateral and posterior delts in a very different way than any other exercise. Try doing them with different grip angles. You can pull back with the tricep rope and end the movement with the backs of your hands facing your ears with your elbows pointing back. You can vary it all the way out to where your palms are facing forwards, and you're sort of stretching the ends of the rope away from one another, trying to end the movement with your arms up like goalposts. Most times you'll hear people say not to go heavy, but I've tried them all ways, and heavy on face pulls is fun as hell. You get to the point where you need to start the movement with your whole body leaning back at about forty-five degrees. It takes some concentration to not use your bodyweight to assist the movement, but that's not too hard to figure out.
When done with strict form these are great for the rear delts. I have found that face pulls can also be thrown in on back day. Which in turn will shorten your shoulder day, if you train one muscle group per day that is. Hands down a great exercise that you can feel.