5x5 Workout Questions

D

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
How long should run a 5x5 and what should do about auxillaries like traps and hams? Does cardio add to much to legs doing the 5x5?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
How long should run a 5x5 and what should do about auxillaries like traps and hams? Does cardio add to much to legs doing the 5x5?
You run a 5x5 until your gains plateau, at which point you either 'deload' or break and start over at a higher weight than you started last time. You can work whatever auxillary exercises you feel are necessary into the routine. Generally concentrating on the big lifts, if you're doing them correctly, will work all major muscle groups adequately. Check the MadCow link in my sig for a good info page.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your traps will get plenty of work from BB Rows and traditional DL. To hit your hams more effectively, you can sub DL for SLDL.

D

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
The only plateau's I'm currently having are on the flat bench and squat (long arm and little legs, genetic thank's dad) but how about keeping up with cardio I know that the legs are the key.......

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I actually PREFER 5x5 schemes for traps and hams.

My personal experience is that 5x5 works very well for my stronger body parts and favorite lifts. 5x5 does NOT help me to break a plateau or bring up weak body parts.

It would be very safe to say that a topic like this is going to be personal preference and vary greatly per individual.

D

dbl38

Awards
  • Established
I am going to go after it for the core strength of the olympic lifts I think this should break the rut I'm in and give me a better understanding of my overall physiology.I want to cover all my bases because I'm sure we've all done some BS workout that simply was a waste of time.Does anybody know any good links to a sight with tutorials on lifts like the power clean etc.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am going to go after it for the core strength of the olympic lifts I think this should break the rut I'm in and give me a better understanding of my overall physiology.I want to cover all my bases because I'm sure we've all done some BS workout that simply was a waste of time.Does anybody know any good links to a sight with tutorials on lifts like the power clean etc.
Youtube is always a good start. Also Kabuki used really sound powerlifting techniques in vids from his DTHC log last summer. He may be a good source for advice and links.

S

satyricon

Awards
look up ULW video index or just google weightlifting or olympic weightlifting

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'd go to ExRx.net, they have some great animations and instructions there. As you're asking about 5x5 as well, I'd go for the book Starting Strength too. You're never so far along in training that a refresher and a return to the basics can't help, and help a lot.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I'd go to ExRx.net, they have some great animations and instructions there. As you're asking about 5x5 as well, I'd go for the book Starting Strength too. You're never so far along in training that a refresher and a return to the basics can't help, and help a lot.
John Berardi / Precision Nutrition has AWESOME videos of damn near every exercise here:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/exercise.php

You do have to join his forum though (free).

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
I'm on the second week of a 5x5 workout.

So far everythin's going really well. Weights are goin' up. I'm not sure if my calves are getting worked as much as I'd like, so I'm doing calf raises once a week.

I"ve been encouraged by my trainer to stick to 9 weeks & then try something totally different. When gains planteau, I suppose mixin things about a bit, like...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cluster-Training:-The-Athletes-Size-and-Strength-Edge&id=111739

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a less intense version of rest pause approach. Nothing big or new. Probably be better off just going with a Max Stimulation approach and just drop the endurance aspect all together if you want to lift the heaviest weight possible for the most reps.

I'm on the second week of a 5x5 workout.

So far everythin's going really well. Weights are goin' up. I'm not sure if my calves are getting worked as much as I'd like, so I'm doing calf raises once a week.

I"ve been encouraged by my trainer to stick to 9 weeks & then try something totally different. When gains planteau, I suppose mixin things about a bit, like...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cluster-Training:-The-Athletes-Size-and-Strength-Edge&id=111739

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I'd buy the book 'Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training" (2nd edition) to learn about squats and power cleans.