Forearm Devolpment

building mass

building mass

Awards
For about a long time I have never done any isolating exercises for my forearms. Now its caught up to me. I am fairly big for my age but, my forearms look like tooth picks.

Anyways, all of the forearm excises i have tried hurt my writst. So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for forearms exercises that are kind on the wrists.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Do you use straps for your pulls/rows/chins?

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I have noticed that forearms tend to get worked with just about every upper body exercise I do to some extent...

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
man i have the same problem, "toothpick" forearms. the only thing I've found that even remotely works without hurting my wrists is behind the back b.b. wrist curls other than that as others stated above the forearms get worked by doing back and other upper body exercises anyway. my forearms are smaller than i would like but they look like road maps cause all the veins....HA-HA

building mass

building mass

Awards
Nope I dont use straps other than occsionally on dead lifts.

Yeah it seems like my forearms get worked doing upper body but, they never grow.

I think i will try behind the back b.b wrist curls. I remember those not hurting my wrist.

satyricon

Awards
try looking up a device called thr formulator. you can get ideas on how to make one at fighttraining or homemade exercise equipment.

DRAKE

Awards
that stinks guys, but does anybody have any advice for me, my forearms over power my tricep,

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Heavy lifting like barbell (ezbar or reg) curls, rows, hammers and reverse curls. Gotta lift big to be big. Farmers walks get them strong as well.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Everyone is laying down some great exercises. Sorry to here that yours do not grow. Mine have always been big and grown easily from the rows, and pullings movements i do.

Just keep at it man they will grow!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look in the Arnold Encyclopedia. It shows many exercises.
Some I use
Reverse DB curls on knees
Regular db curls (for inner arm) on knees or bench
Behind the back barbell curls
Reverse drag curls
Reverse preacher-widegrip)

jezzab05

jezzab05

Awards
do you do any specific grip training? lever work, grippers, and plate pinching work nicely.

building mass

building mass

Awards
Hmm yeah grip training is a intresting idea. I have never tried that. All great ideas thanks guys :thumbsup:

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Grip training can do wonders for forearm mass. When I started rockclimbing, I was a skinny 160 lb teen with toothpick forearms. Three months later I was a 155 lb teen with forearms nearly the width of my face. But that was from climbing for a couple hours three times a week at the climbing gym. We're talking going to absolute, screaming, tearing grip failure several times a night. I wore sandals because I wouldn't be able to tie my shoes when I left. But I did no wrist training at all, and got silly big forearms, even on a tiny frame.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
do you do any specific grip training? lever work, grippers, and plate pinching work nicely.
word. I do grip traing more frequent now as i have small hands. 25lbs x 3-4 for as long as i can. Like between figertips, not full grip.

Also, i did notcie i used to dead ALOT with no straps. When i hit 405 i had to. Now i only use them for set 3reps or less. It sucks and hurts but the pain is part of the game.

jezzab05

jezzab05

Awards
used the ironmind grippers? YYEEAAAA BABBYY!! If used as proper training tool, with full closes, half reps, negatives, these can see you with instant gains, in strength and forearm size. Be sure to get a few, one easy warm up one, a working set and one you can work towards shutting.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
used the ironmind grippers? YYEEAAAA BABBYY!! If used as proper training tool, with full closes, half reps, negatives, these can see you with instant gains, in strength and forearm size. Be sure to get a few, one easy warm up one, a working set and one you can work towards shutting.
I give my COC grippers lots and lots of love. That hard, grinding their handles together sort of love that they can't get enough of...

There's also the option of a leverage, um, thingy. Like when guys go oldschool and do 'feats of strength' with a sledge hammer, holding it by the end of the handle and levering the head up, or touching their nose. There's an exercise that I like that I do with my leverage bar. Standing, you hold your forearm out parallel to the floor, like you're half-way through a curl. You then rotate your forearm(while holding the leverage bar) supinating and pronating your hand. Can't go too fast, it's easy to pull something if you aren't used to the exercise. you can get a really good stretch in both directions, and there's no actual wrist flexion, you're just building mad supporting strength. And you get a bonus, because you're working you biceps in a novel fashion, because the biceps is one of the forearm supinators. You can also do this sitting, with your forearm resting on a bench or your leg.

I keep my lever bar under the coffee table, and do random exercises with it during commercials and such. Seems to really help with wrist health, if not forearm mass.

A lever bar is easy to make, and cheap, too. Get an old ten pound plate, or a five, or whatever is lying around. Then you need something for the bar. I used a standard plate, so I cut about two feet off an old broomstick. Wrapped duct tape around the end until it was built up a little less than half an inch, slid the plate on, and wrapped tape around the stick on the other side of the plate, trapping it in place. If you use an olymipic plate, you just use a hunk of pvc, and you get a thick handle bar. Or use a standard plate and use pvc with adapters to make the handle section any size. I wrapped my broom stick with some scrap vynil and contact cement until it just fit inside a piece of 1 1/2" pvc. It's a good size for a little grip work. Taped wrings of hockey tape around the handle, so I can keep track of where I place my hand. Give it an extra long handle, so you jsut move your hand to change the weight, instead of changing the plate.

Or you could just use a sledge hammer.

jezzab05

jezzab05

Awards
Grip training can do wonders for forearm mass. When I started rockclimbing, I was a skinny 160 lb teen with toothpick forearms. Three months later I was a 155 lb teen with forearms nearly the width of my face. But that was from climbing for a couple hours three times a week at the climbing gym. We're talking going to absolute, screaming, tearing grip failure several times a night. I wore sandals because I wouldn't be able to tie my shoes when I left. But I did no wrist training at all, and got silly big forearms, even on a tiny frame.

Hehe sandals :clap2: i know what you mean though, after a good grip workout, i need someone to scoop my whey and shake the damned thing for me!

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Gotta lift big to be big.
:goodpost: haha nice Coleman line. i have a similar problem with forearms. mine just develop very slowly and there's not much i can do about it. my grip strength also isn't that great, even though i do pleny for grip. oh well. my forearms are pretty vascular though.

building mass

building mass

Awards
haha yeah i got the vascularity going for me to just not the mass.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Thats colemans line? I thought I was gonna be original :(! Still the truth none the less!

satyricon

Awards
to bad vascularity only means thin skin. i work all day with guys that have forearm viens popping out, they all smoke cigs and drink soda pop. but they cant pull a bucket of tools up the side of a 3 story building without crying for help. muscles and viens are **** without strength.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
I've been reading about hammer curls, and they're supposed to help your forearms. I did some yesterday, and man I sure felt it.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Behind the back barbell wrist curls (HEAVY), Hammer Curls and Reverse curls are when I noticed my forearms getting thick.

Plus, like others have said, heavy deadlifts (no straps IMO).

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever done just straight up wrist curls?

Simply sit down and hold a DB palm up, then roll the DB down to your finger tips and back up and curl. After you're done with that you can get a lighter DB and do a reverse curl for the other side of your forearm (brachioradialus muscle I believe).

I've been doing these since I was 15-16 and everytime I meet someone the first thing they say is something about my handshake.

Edit: I also have this gyro ball that you pull a string and the ball in the center rotates and you use your wrists to pump up the RPM. Really good for working some of the finer gripping muscles. Dont have the exact name for it as the label has been worn off, but I'm sure a quick google will turn something up.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think i got it imaged..just in case got a video of it or could you make one

Soopaman

Awards
  • Established
I dont have any video equipment or I'd gladly make one for you.

Here's a youtube video of the regular wrist curl, make note of how he lets it roll down his finger tips, that really makes this exercise worth it:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

And here's a video on the reverse wrist curl:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Reverse feels a little funky and is harder to do, but very good for the top of your forearm.

Edit: Here's a link to the gyro ball mentioned, actually called a powerball:
NSD Powerball