nausea on leg day?

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
I understand leg day can be super demanding but lately I seem to get really bad nausea after only 2 exercises. Is it really ok to "squat til you puke" and if so should I try to keep going after such? Normally a typical leg workout for me minus warm up is 4 sets of regular or front squats pyramid up in weight, leg press 4 sets/same, leg extensions, and then reverse leg curls or whatever else for my hams. I'll change it up week to week adding some walking lunges, and hack squats. But lately I can't get through 3 exercises before I want to lose it all. Maybe I need to be drinking more water or what? If I try to take in some xtend or any kind of amino drink it makes it that much worse. I try not to eat a meal or drink a shake an hour before I train legs. Any ideas?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
i used to have this problem when i would tank Superpump and protein shortly before i started squatting. not a good idea. one day i was supersetting heavy squats with heavy deads and i felt like i wanted to keel over, i couldn't stand up. have your preworkout meal a good hour beforehand and sit around until it's time for your workout. also, be sure you're breathing correctly as you're squatting. most of the time, if your breathing is off you'll get lightheaded and may experience nausea. stay well-hydrated throughout the day. but definitely keep all food and drinks to a good hour or 45 min before you start goin heavy.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could be dehydration or it could be a hiatal(sp) hernia or digestion issues that the increased exertion is triggering. It could also be blood pressure related. What supps are you on?

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Could be dehydration or it could be a hiatal(sp) hernia or digestion issues that the increased exertion is triggering. It could also be blood pressure related. What supps are you on?
I surely hope not. Only supplements I'm taking are a multi, fish oil, basic whey protein, bcaa's, and No Shotgun. However I bet it has to with nutrient timing and eating to close to my workout. Used to not have this problem until the end of my leg workout when I'd really push myself, now it seems unavoidable. However, thanks for the advice.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Try eating your pre workout meal a little earlier. I personally eat it 90 min before. Also, if your drinking Gatorade, the sugar can make you sick. Propel is a much better option.

vision

I've noticed the same thing the past few months mostly on heavy leg days. I've since held off my workout to about 2 full hours after my meal and I don't start drinking my purple wraath until after squats and deads. I also stopped putting dextrose in my workout drink. It makes it too sweet and makes me sick.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Try eating your pre workout meal a little earlier. I personally eat it 90 min before. Also, if your drinking Gatorade, the sugar can make you sick. Propel is a much better option.
Actually this lady was handing out Accelerades one day so I decided to give that a run, half way through the workout out I almost puked all over the hack squat! But thanks for the tips, I think I'm gonna start eating earlier giving my body at least 90 mins pre and see what happens.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I feel ur pain LND. Mine got so bad even doing curls was making me feel sick. I believe mine was due these pre-workout shakes like SuperPump and eatng to close to my workout. I was getting dizzy alot, I also think I was consuming to many simple sugars before and during my workouts making me get all hypoglymic(sp).

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
i used to have this problem when i would tank Superpump and protein shortly before i started squatting. not a good idea. one day i was supersetting heavy squats with heavy deads and i felt like i wanted to keel over, i couldn't stand up. have your preworkout meal a good hour beforehand and sit around until it's time for your workout. also, be sure you're breathing correctly as you're squatting. most of the time, if your breathing is off you'll get lightheaded and may experience nausea. stay well-hydrated throughout the day. but definitely keep all food and drinks to a good hour or 45 min before you start goin heavy.
U got that sh*t right!!!

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
On a hard leg day to curb nausea eat an hour and a half before if its a whole meal, if its a protein shake then take it an hr before so everything is well and digested. Lifting after eating a meal prevents proper digestion. You wouldnt eat then go running right? This totally prevents the nausea for me atleast.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
On a hard leg day to curb nausea eat an hour and a half before if its a whole meal, if its a protein shake then take it an hr before so everything is well and digested. Lifting after eating a meal prevents proper digestion. You wouldnt eat then go running right? This totally prevents the nausea for me atleast.
Sound advice! What usually happens is I eat, get bored with waiting around so I just end up heading out early, and that's when I get nausea at it's worst. This morning I woke up at 8 consumed 40gm whey isolate with a cup of ground oats for carbs. Waited an hour, had my pre-workout shake, waited 30 mins for it to kick in and then hit the gym. This worked out the best as I completed a full leg day, typical 4-5 exorcises 3-4 sets each 8-10 reps. Best of all NO NAUSEA!!! Thanks for the tips guys, I think I found the right formula! :head: :woohoo: