Pull-ups/Back routine

ClintCanada

I've been weight-training for about 6yrs now and being 'fairly' slim (approx 8%bf) I've always had an easy time with pull-ups, and believe in working back, shoulders etc. just as hard as chest & bi's . . .

My question is -- for back -- for bodybuilders if you do pull-ups do you just stick with your own body weight and do more reps? or do you do them weighted? -- I'm asking because I'm able to add quite a few plates on -- I'll do some empty to warm up, but then add 10lbs on my waist belt, then say 25, 45, etc. up to 70lbs for 2 reps and then sometimes if I'm up for it 90lbs for a single or two reps if the wife wants to help lift (lol) usually 5 sets total. I NEVER see other big guys doing weighted pull-ups . . . in fact allot just do pull-downs . . . am I missing something here ? ?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many tried and true exercises are not used very often anymore; pull-ups is one of them. I like weighted pull-ups much more than lat pull-downs, but I usually never go lower than a set of 3-5 reps.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i use a weight as well to keep the reps in reasonable range for pull-ups. otherwise it's sets of 30+.

the really big bodybuilders also do weighted pull-ups. i saw some video of coleman with a few 45lb plates attached to his belt.

it seems to me that most of the guys doing pull-downs are the ones that can't pull themselves up.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Charles Glass said it is very difficult for most people to properly work their back with pull-ups. They grip the bar too tight, pull with their biceps, fail to get a complete stretch & flair before attempting the next rep, fail to retract their scapula properly as they pull up, fail to go slow enough on the negatives, use momentum...

So he has most of his trainees (at all levels) do pulldowns and he has them work the back to failure not the arms to failure.

I see his point and I believe you can develop a wide back without pull-ups. However I do weighted pull-ups under control and weighted rack pullups (DC style) as a standard part of my program.

For anyone that CAN do pullups properly I suggest you add weight once your bodyweight reps get over 15. Keep good form and don't put on so much weight that you can not get adequate TUT out of the set.

ClintCanada

Charles Glass said it is very difficult for most people to properly work their back with pull-ups. They grip the bar too tight, pull with their biceps, fail to get a complete stretch & flair before attempting the next rep, fail to retract their scapula properly as they pull up, fail to go slow enough on the negatives, use momentum...

So he has most of his trainees (at all levels) do pulldowns and he has them work the back to failure not the arms to failure.

I see his point and I believe you can develop a wide back without pull-ups. However I do weighted pull-ups under control and weighted rack pullups (DC style) as a standard part of my program.

For anyone that CAN do pullups properly I suggest you add weight once your bodyweight reps get over 15. Keep good form and don't put on so much weight that you can not get adequate TUT out of the set.
Thanks -- allot of good info.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many tried and true exercises are not used very often anymore; pull-ups is one of them. I like weighted pull-ups much more than lat pull-downs, but I usually never go lower than a set of 3-5 reps.
Word. I agree 110%. Too often people will "cheat" and jerk backwards downing lat pulldowns. Pullups eliminate this motion, giving much better isolation. IMHO, it's one of the best for developing back width and the "V-tapered" look.

ClintCanada

Word. I agree 110%. Too often people will "cheat" and jerk backwards downing lat pulldowns. Pullups eliminate this motion, giving much better isolation. IMHO, it's one of the best for developing back width and the "V-tapered" look.
Yeah -- I see allot of guys trying to go heavy on lat pull-downs, and forcing themselves to lean way back which ends up being something a cross between a pull down and a very high row . . . but they're usually grunting and using allot of momentum and looking very confidant that they're achieving something fantastic. This is usually followed up by dropping the pin another notch for the next set -- for a little added weight -- lol

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Yeah -- I see allot of guys trying to go heavy on lat pull-downs, and forcing themselves to lean way back which ends up being something a cross between a pull down and a very high row . . . but they're usually grunting and using allot of momentum and looking very confidant that they're achieving something fantastic. This is usually followed up by dropping the pin another notch for the next set -- for a little added weight -- lol
Perfect description.

Of course fewer people do pullups but a lot of them focus on geting each rep over with as quick as possible w/ the least amount of work. So these guys never get a full stretch, rock their hips to get to the top and go so fast that they get to 10 and drop off the bar before I even can complete a second rep.

While I'm still methodically doing my pullups they strut away holding their elbows wide to mark the outside of their imaginary lat width. :)

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was a freshman in highschool, the upperclassmen on my hockey team were very adamant about pullup form. Adam's apple had to touch the bar at the top. Arms had to lock out and relax the shoulders at the bottom. If these were not followed, it's like using the wrong coversheet on the TPS reports....you got 9 other guys yelling at you about it.