a lil hst confusion

goin_big

Awards
Ok, so you should find your 15,10, and 5 rep maxes and then decrement down by 5lbs from each to find your weekly workout weight. Let's say you're doing side raises. I dunno about ya'll, but I'm not exactly using alotta weight for 15 reps on these. Let's say I'm using 20, would I wanna use 10 for 2 days, 15, for 2 days, and 20 for 2 days. And, if I'm getting the hst principle wrong, feel free to fill me in :)

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I didnt find the maxes beforehand, since they constantly change with developing strength levels. Naturally ramp up the weight to a weight that feels right when you change the reps.

You say 2 days in there, you mean two weeks right?

goin_big

Awards
nah, yer supposed to raise the weight on each workout, meaning there's 6 days in there ya know. Anyways, if I can do a weight more than the given number of reps in a given exercise should I? I wish the hst site explained it a lil better.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I had the same dilemma, so i just used the same weight (20 pounds) for 3 workouts in a row until i was able to increase. worked fine for me as I have gotten great results from HST.

goin_big

Awards
Cool, thanks man. I'll give this workout a try, I gotta do something new.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
nah, yer supposed to raise the weight on each workout, meaning there's 6 days in there ya know.
What are you talking about? Are you seriously contemplating a 6 workout cycle? :rolleyes:

goin_big

Awards
I have no idea what hst you are doing, but each 2 week cycle is divided up into 6 workouts.......you're confusing me

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Hm. I am talking about hypertrophy specific training. You may want to read the article explaing HST again goin_big.

You do not understand how to use HST. After you re-read it come back and ask questions

goin_big

Awards
yes I do. Monday, wednesday, friday, you do a full body workout, increasing the weight each day until on the 6th day which would be the second friday you would be at your max weight for that rep scheme and so on and so forth, I dunno what you're talking about....

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
• Repetitions will decrease every 2 weeks in the following order: 15 reps for 2 weeks Þ 10 reps for 2 weeks Þ 5 reps for 2 weeks Þ then continue with your 5 rep max for 2 weeks or begin 2 weeks of negatives. 15¹s can be skipped when you are about to start over after the first 8 week cycle. If you are feeling strain-type injuries coming on don't skip the 15s.

From the guide explaining HST on the HST site.

goin_big

Awards
Yes I know this, I have no idea what point you're trying to get to here, 6-8 weeks, divided into 6 workouts every 2 weeks, it's so easy.........nm, I know the whole routine, if you think I don't, whatever.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
yes I do. Monday, wednesday, friday, you do a full body workout, increasing the weight each day until on the 6th day which would be the second friday you would be at your max weight for that rep scheme and so on and so forth, I dunno what you're talking about....
Then why do you say THIS, which is totally wrong. Re-Read my last post.

EDIT

AHh we talked on chat, and I realised what you are saying, which is alot less wrong, its not particularly useful what you are thinking

Nelson

Read

Hm. I am talking about hypertrophy specific training. You may want to read the article explaing HST again goin_big.

You do not understand how to use HST. After you re-read it come back and ask questions
goin_big
Spend some time reading the info at the HST site.
Then come here & ask some questions once you have a good understanding of HST.
That way you`ll be doing yourself a favor as well as everyone else here;)

goin_big

Awards
I read the entire site already nelson, me and banana already talked about this in chat. He was misreading what I was writing. I believe he thought that I thought the routine was a 2 week cycle while I meant that it was a 6-8 week cycle divided into 2 week blocks. Once again people are assuming, what a lovely idea it is to assume that I was wrong when i wasn't.

Nelson

I didn`t make any assumptions, rather it was clear from your posts that you didn`t have a grasp of the concept behind HST.
Maybe you just have trouble expressing yourself which led me to make this invalid assumption.

goin_big

Awards
well anyways, I got an answer to the original question, that was really the only thing I was wondering.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Call me a sissy if you want but I can't even imagine doing legs 3 days a week. And legs are my favorite bodypart to train. A decent squatter will be loading their back and knees with 350-500 lbs 3 times a week. What is really scary is they will follow it up with stiff-legged deads sometimes with, in many cases close to the same poundages. While I know this protocol works well for some people (as do ALL training methods) I can't imagine it being a long-term use method for intermediate level lifters. And please don't flame me to hell if you use it and it is working wonders for you. I don't doubt that for a minute. I do however think there are many, many protocols much more effective. As most people that are famliar with me know I'm not much of a fan of volume training, but I would bet money on a mid-level (9-12 sets BP) volume routine delivering better results. Then again, I'd bet money on 6 sets a bodypart with mid level intensity beating them both for the AVERAGE trainee. Yes, probably you. Yes, I am biased.

Iron Addict

Skark

Awards
  • Established
Just to shed a little light on this, the idea is to increase the weight in EACH of the 6 workouts in a phase. The thing about 5 lb increments is just an example. If you are doing leg presses, 5 lb increments are nothing. The best strategy, especially for smaller bodyparts like arms is to use percentages of the 6th workout, not fixed numbers. I try to stick to 65% or so for the first workout, and go up from there. So your increase on lighter weight exercises may be 2.5 lbs, or 1 lb.

IA, the idea seems fairly sound (I am a HIT devotee myself, just looking for a change of pace). The recommendation is 14-16 sets per whole body workout (my norm is 14 for a 1/2 split workout, so the volume increase isn't a big deal), but working out 3 times a week is new for me (normally twice) so I will be supplementing with 15g of anti-c's (BCAA & Glut) a day to help with recovery.

The biggest problem I see with HST is you don't have a firm handle if you are getting stronger at any point during the 6 weeks, whereas with HIT, I know exactly where I stand at EVERY workout.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
i came into the same problem when i was reading about hst and trying to decide on a routine.. like all my isolation exercises would be just too low to increase weight every session.. so what i decided to do is just stick with all compound movements instead..  i do Squat, Deadlift, Incline/Flat Bnech, Bent Over Rows, Military Press, Shrugs, Barbell Curls, Close Grip Bench.. i can do  a pretty go amount of weight with Hammers and OverHead Tri Extensions.. so on my 2nd workout of the week i put these in..  i just started my routine.. so nothing to report yet

IronMike

Awards
i came into the same problem when i was reading about hst and trying to decide on a routine.. like all my isolation exercises would be just too low to increase weight every session.
If you're doing DB laterals and your 10 RM is 30lbs going backwards by 5 your workout would look like this.

5/10/15/20/25/30

The first three workouts would be to easy what you could do is this double up on poundages each workout.

20/20/25/25/30/30

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
yeah but say your max is like 20 for 10 reps.. then you be going to the negatives.. so thats y id just stick with compounds if your a weakling like me

IronMike

Awards
If you're weak I would recommend building up some strength before starting HST you'll get better gains!