Glute Ham Raise

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
Does your gym have a GHR? And if it does do you use it?

I think its one of the best exercises for PC, and has certainly helped strengthen my weak hammy's.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Does your gym have a GHR? And if it does do you use it?

I think its one of the best exercises for PC, and has certainly helped strengthen my weak hammy's.
yep...i do them for my hammies, along with back squats, front squats, good mornings.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I did, it broke. Very good exercise. Any exercise where you can effectively work your posterior without a CNS hit is great in my book. I do a lot of reverse hypers and back attack. I have ditched GM's as i feel the hit to my CNS is not worth the work right now.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I did, it broke. Very good exercise. Any exercise where you can effectively work your posterior without a CNS hit is great in my book. I do a lot of reverse hypers and back attack. I have ditched GM's as i feel the hit to my CNS is not worth the work right now.
you think GM's are a hit to your CNS? I dont think it causes a lot of trauma. I do several sets of 100lbs (Barbell), and feel it works well, but nothing to the CNS like me doing front squats, back squats, deadlifts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you think GM's are a hit to your CNS? I dont think it causes a lot of trauma. I do several sets of 100lbs (Barbell), and feel it works well, but nothing to the CNS like me doing front squats, back squats, deadlifts.
My CNS only takes a hit from lifts I do in the 3-5 rep range.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I most deffinatly feel CNS fatigue from ME GMs.

I really wish our gym had a GHR machine but i have a Reverse Hyper at home so, come September, i will be a swinging machine.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
So for you guys that have one, is it to do a GHR on a machine than it is to have some holding your ankles down on the ground and just doing them from lying on your stomach. I can't do these to save my life but I see youtube videos of massive dudes making them effortless on the actually benches for them. I have lead myself to believe that you can pivot your quad/knee on the bench giving you a better angle.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have attempted these on the floor and ..... it was a joke.

i would love to use one of the designed machines...

jcp2

Awards
  • Established

I have done bottom ups with as much as 500 and top down for sets of 415x5 deep and no belt. Not great, but enogh to beat me down.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I have done bottom ups with as much as 500 and top down for sets of 415x5 deep and no belt. Not great, but enogh to beat me down.
huh? I was speaking of GM's. If you are doing 415 on GM.....ur the shizzle

:dance:

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
huh? I was speaking of GM's. If you are doing 415 on GM.....ur the shizzle

:dance:

i am sure he is speaking of GMs, good mornings. 400-500lbs good mornings are actually pretty common in power lifting.

ill let him confirm though...

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
i am sure he is speaking of GMs, good mornings. 400-500lbs good mornings are actually pretty common in power lifting.

Yeah, i actually don't really do them anymore because i feel i can get a pretty good workout on the back attack, which is kind of like a GM machine made by Louis Simmons. I always have to watch overtraining more my CNS than anything. I just started a training log here if you ever want to take a look.

lkjh

lkjh

Awards
how would you do ghr's in a gym w/out a machine for them?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established

yep...they are pretty common among PLers. Can be quite taxing as well. I've been doing them wide stance with my toes pointed forward lately to activate the glute/hammies with light weight but still go up in 400's deep. Also tried using SSB to bring down weigh load.

The GHR has made a huge difference in my posterior chain strenght level since i built one about 9 months ago. just awesome

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
yep...they are pretty common among PLers. Can be quite taxing as well. I've been doing them wide stance with my toes pointed forward lately to activate the glute/hammies with light weight but still go up in 400's deep. Also tried using SSB to bring down weigh load.

The GHR has made a huge difference in my posterior chain strenght level since i built one about 9 months ago. just awesome
Yo Kabuki,
I usually do Anderson good mornings and I set the bar up so its about level with my belly button, I find if I go deeper my form breaks and it turns into a squat/good morning. Is this considered a good depth or should I really back off the weight and practice keeping my legs out of it if I go really deep. Right now I feel like I am getting good carry over into my dead lift just because it is a little lower than how I would bend for a SLDL.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Yo Kabuki,
I usually do Anderson good mornings and I set the bar up so its about level with my belly button, I find if I go deeper my form breaks and it turns into a squat/good morning. Is this considered a good depth or should I really back off the weight and practice keeping my legs out of it if I go really deep. Right now I feel like I am getting good carry over into my dead lift just because it is a little lower than how I would bend for a SLDL.

That depth should be fine. you definetly don't want to be doing it to where it turns to a squat as your initiating the lift with the wrong muscle group.