Weighted Vest

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I have a 20 pound weighted vest, something I bought to incorporate into some sprint workouts and stair climbing.

I'm considering wearing it around all day however, so that my body adapts to the weight... what do you think? In the colder months ahead (it's already cold enough now), my sweatshirts disguise it quite well, so it won't be embarrasing to walk around with it blantantly in public. Wearing it all day interests me because I feel that my body would adapt to the weight, making me faster when I take it off to run.

I basically train with lots of running, and I've just picked up Muay Tai kickboxing. Would this benefit my speed and agility would you think? Take it off to train of course, but throw it on afterwards during my daily things?

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
You will jump higher, if your talking speed in running no, your top speed is pretty much genetic. Your torque off the line is leg strength, so "yes" for acceleration.

Ever been chased by a sprinting fat man? All you got over him is agility, and endurance if he doesnt catch you.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
haha nope, fat cops dont run they call the k-9

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
You will jump higher, if your talking speed in running no, your top speed is pretty much genetic. Your torque off the line is leg strength, so "yes" for acceleration.

Ever been chased by a sprinting fat man? All you got over him is agility, and endurance if he doesn't catch you.
Yeah man, there are some pretty BIG (290 - 350#) and FAST (5 second 40's) NFL linemen. If you can make it past the 40 or so yards, you're probably in good shape. But in a world of hurt if you don't.

X

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I have a 20 pound weighted vest, something I bought to incorporate into some sprint workouts and stair climbing.

I'm considering wearing it around all day however, so that my body adapts to the weight... what do you think? In the colder months ahead (it's already cold enough now), my sweatshirts disguise it quite well, so it won't be embarrasing to walk around with it blantantly in public. Wearing it all day interests me because I feel that my body would adapt to the weight, making me faster when I take it off to run.

I basically train with lots of running, and I've just picked up Muay Tai kickboxing. Would this benefit my speed and agility would you think? Take it off to train of course, but throw it on afterwards during my daily things?
The only possible problem I could see is some type of spinal compression.....but hell, people carry heavy backpacks on the time and the weight isn't distributed evenly like in those weight vests. Just be conscious of any spinal issue and take them seriously.

bodysculpt

Awards
Yeah Im gonna load up my dive belt and thry wearing that all day, every day.. :-s interesting to see what happens.. people with a lot of adipose tissue (fattys) tend to have massive calves..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Doubt 20 pounds will hurt much but you can always hang in gravity boots to uncompress your spine everyday. I do these after every squat or dead wo and it really helps.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies everyone - unfortunately I don't have boots for the uncompression, but I'll figure out something.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Doubt 20 pounds will hurt much but you can always hang in gravity boots to uncompress your spine everyday. I do these after every squat or dead wo and it really helps.
How important is this to do?

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Please keep us posted on this experiment. I would like to hear your opinions after a few weeks. Thanks.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
How important is this to do?
Honestly, I have no idea of it's real world importance...it's just something I started doing about a year ago and I have to say it really helps a lot. An inversion table would also be another option.

Basically, when I am lifting heavy, I try to hang for 2-5 minutes before bed and it really takes away a lot of the stiffness I used to feel after doing deads or military presses.

Intuitively, if you are going to compress your spine with lifting..you should de-compress it to avoid cumulative damage.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, I have no idea of it's real world importance...it's just something I started doing about a year ago and I have to say it really helps a lot. An inversion table would also be another option.

Basically, when I am lifting heavy, I try to hang for 2-5 minutes before bed and it really takes away a lot of the stiffness I used to feel after doing deads or military presses.

Intuitively, if you are going to compress your spine with lifting..you should de-compress it to avoid cumulative damage.
I'd be afraid of getting stuck upside down...

X

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Nah. I fear being attacked by werewolves while hanging upside down though. Because that would suck.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Nah. I fear being attacked by werewolves while hanging upside down though. Because that would suck.
Vampires scare me more than werewolves...

X

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Tatooed man-nipples actually scare me more than anything.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Thats just wrong on so many levels...........

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Im gonna load up my dive belt and thry wearing that all day, every day.. :-s interesting to see what happens.. people with a lot of adipose tissue (fattys) tend to have massive calves..
"Fatty's." lol. Do you think wearing an extra 20 to 30 pounds could possibly increase the size of one's calves? I need all the help I can get.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
I beleive it would. I dont know any fat people with small calfs.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Any updates on the weighted vest idea/training.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
has anyone found decent prices for a quality weighted vest? Xvest is the only one I know of, but it's 300 bucks for an 80lb vest.

Squires

Awards
You will jump higher, if your talking speed in running no, your top speed is pretty much genetic.
I disagree on top speed being genetic. Running speed is comprised of two things; stride frequency and stride length. Stride frequency is hardest to increase, there are various over-speed methods, they are difficult and not much can be gained. However, stride length is relatively easy to increase. It is a combination of leg strength and flexibility, both can be effectively trained.

Squires

Awards

I'm considering wearing it around all day however, so that my body adapts to the weight... what do you think?
You are correct that you body would adapt. Thats not the most desirable thing if you want the vest to be a training tool. Try coming up with a progression for you training with it. For example:

timed walks--> running--> stairs--> body weight exercises--> jumps(onto a box to lower the stress on the joints)

You are on the right track with your thinking.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
i have the 80 lb x vest and i like it. Nice to go hiking with

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only possible problem I could see is some type of spinal compression.....but hell, people carry heavy backpacks on the time and the weight isn't distributed evenly like in those weight vests. Just be conscious of any spinal issue and take them seriously.
Just listen to your body. In Iraq I had to wear an 50pound vest unloaded, and 70pounds when tactical loaded.

I will tell you this... my lats and Traps became simply AMAZING.

Just listen to your back, and joints and the such. YOu can tell if you are taking a toll on yourself.

You can always buy a pair of moon boots, and do a little hanging to uncompress.

Adams