Bench stagnation :-(

Tiabin

Awards
Hey guys, I've been adding insane amounts poundage on my squats, deads and every exercise except for bench!
My bench has really stagnated, I can barely get it to go up at all. Last chest day I had such a pisspoor bench workout that I just went all out tris, and did seated dips instead of normal dips (normal dips hurt my sternum BAD?).

What do you guys think? Any tips? BTW I mix up dumbells and barbells for bench.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SUPER COMMON problem. One way you may find relief is to take a hard look at what you are doing for front delts. Lots of people's benches stall because the front delt gets pounded with all the chest, tricep, and front delt work. I put together many routines witout any, or very little front delt work and this can really make a difference as to if your bench stalls or not. Of course without seeing your bench (chest/shoulders/tricep) routine, and overall routine structure it's hard to say. But reviewing what you are doing for delt work is a good place to start. Also, where is your sticking point? High or low?

Iron Addict

Tiabin

Awards
I think sticking point is lower towards my chest, but it's not that as much as it is I just can't get my weight up well. I do flat bench on dumbells and barbell, do close grip decline (tricep), tricep pushdown (with cable and handle bar thing), and possibly seated dips if I feel like it. Might do machine flies too. I like machine flies for some reason... Seem to get more of a pump and sore from 'em.

Tiabin

Awards
As far as sets, I also like to do 2 or 3 per exercise... typically I'll do heavy, low rep and then throw in a high rep somewhere (IF doing 3 sets)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would also recommend dumbell presses. They seem to do something for my bench press when I incorporate them. I believe it's because you isolate your chest better with the dumbell presses. Maybe IA can give you a better answer though

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i am working natty atm and my workout goes like this for the involved muscles

chest/tri day
3 sets 6-8 reps on flat bench with barbell
3 sets 8-10 reps on incline with dumbells
3 sets 8-10 reps of incline dumbell flyes
3 sets of dips
2 sets 6-8 reps of skullcrushers
2 sets 8-10 of tricep pushdowns

and 4 days later i do shoulder/back day
3 sets 6-8 reps on shoulder press with barbell
2 sets 8-10 reps on lateral raises
.... rest of back workout

is this too much/ not enough sets
my weight seems to slightly increase every week; but i only got back in the gym 3-4 weeks ago.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
when i switched over from bench to dips i noticed the biggest difference.. ive totally eliminated bench.. but im not going for size more than strength

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Many People overlook the importance of secondary muscles when benching man. Doing endless reps for their triceps with pushdowns and kickbacks, when adding mass and strength for the tris via dips and close grips, will increase your bench dramatically. I dont think its your choice of exercises and variations you can do for chest, but simply the need to up your tris, front delts, lats. Dip.....
Sage

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
LakeMountD i'll be going after strength soon enough and not worry about my bench...

but when you're my size, size is the most important thing :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 31
Sage0607 Training Forum 43
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 4
Training Forum 1