Forearm Pain

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

I've had some major pain while doing curls in my forearms. However, tha pain is not in the muscle nor tendons. That pain is in the bones of the lower arms. The pain seems to be more in the ulna - the bone on the pinky side. The pain is both arms.

Any thoughts?

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Hey guys,

I've had some major pain while doing curls in my forearms. However, tha pain is not in the muscle nor tendons. That pain is in the bones of the lower arms. The pain seems to be more in the ulna - the bone on the pinky side. The pain is both arms.

Any thoughts?
Are you lifting heavy?

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
And this is what I found

"...It is a slightly elastic material attached to the end of the bones in that area. In other words, it can stretch a little (your long bones can also bend a little without breaking if you didn't know which is why some people feel pain in their forearms when curling). The heavier you go, the more the stretch, the more the associated discomfort. How do you fix this? You keep getting stronger (leading to increased rigidity of bone attachments and strength), and regardless of who disagrees, you keep drinking milk...because it does a body good and all of that ****."

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've been lifting heavy - for me. I've been doing 3x6 @ 95 with a oly bar.

That's exactly where the pain is. When I put the bar down after the last rep, I have to wait a second before I let go of the bar because of the pain.

Yeah, that's a good post. I believe that could be it. I got carried away the last week of the cycle and did chest and bi last mon, fri and today! too much.

I take in a lot of dairy. 2 cups milk, 16 oz of cottage cheese, 16 oz yogurt and 4 scoops of whey.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
That's exactly where the pain is. When I put the bar down after the last rep, I have to wait a second before I let go of the bar because of the pain.
You are either mocking me or experiencing the same daymn thing I was. With the same lift even....

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
You are either mocking me or experiencing the same daymn thing I was. With the same lift even....
LOL really? Yeah, I must look weird. I finish the last rep, rack the bar, and then lean forward on the bar for like 15 or 30 seconds before I can let go!

I always get some discomfort, but I think hitting bi's 3x in 8 days was too much! I couldn't finish today.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
I HAVE THIS EXACT problem....anyone know what the deal is? lay off? stress-fracture?

epyon49

epyon49

Awards
I HAVE THIS EXACT problem....anyone know what the deal is? lay off? stress-fracture?

i had this problem for a long time and sometimes still have it. im guessing its due to putting your forearm through so much stress under heavy weight. something that helped me calm to the pain sometimes and avoid it was icing it ofcourse. also if ur doing barbell curls, after your set try letting go of the bar slowly. sometimes helps.
just my 2 cents

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
Same problem here too. Stopped doing bb curls and kept to dbs cause it made my forearms hurt less. My theory is that I grip the bar too tightly.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I experience it too, but I believe mine is more muscle. But after some DB curls, I set it down, and let my arm relax for about 3 seconds before I can let go of the bar. Has also happened when I was doing front Lat Pulldowns.

I had to stand there with my arms up in the air for a minute because I couldn't let go :lol:

Is it more of the inside of your forearm?

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
i dont know. It really feels like the bone

SynergyCSCS

Awards
Well depending on where it is located exactly (hard to tell from the description), most likely you all are experiencing an overdevelopment of the bicep muscle. The bicep actually crosses over the elbow joint and attaches to the radius and ulna which is how elbow flexion is achieved. If you have overdeveloped and shortened the bicep muscle, it will be contstantly be pulling on the insertion of the muscle and causing distress with each contraction.

Try emphasizing your triceps a little more in your workouts and reduce the amount of times per week that you perform curls. Chances are good that your biceps are too strong for your triceps and you have anterior flexion of your arms in a normal standing position. Also make sure to stretch your biceps and investigate myofascial release of the bicep muscle and tendon.

Good luck!